cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Haze

Cherise66
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought a Class A and most of the windows seem to be double paned and they have a really bad white haze..Does anyone know of a way to get it off without replacing the whole window?
8 REPLIES 8

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on RV Fog Dr. Had all 6 repaired. They also have full hookups at the building.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Cherise66 wrote:
Recently bought a Class A and most of the windows seem to be double paned and they have a really bad white haze..Does anyone know of a way to get it off without replacing the whole window?

Is the fog inside or etched glass outside? I have had luck polishing glass with a buffer and jewelers rouge.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We had RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, Arkansas fix ours. $200 a window. WE had to have 9 windows done. Some were etched too badly to use the same glass and required new.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have frameless double-pane windows that I'll be doing this repair on. Same concept, apparently.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s a common problem. I had mine fixed at Suncoast in Hudson Fl. Itโ€™s about $300 a window and they have done thousands. No leaks. The windows have to come out.

They have free hookups outside their factory.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky 1

Clicky 2

Excellent info, thanks for posting.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-Super-Spacer-Sealant/dp/B006JFKTUQ/ref=pd_bxgy_328_img_2/136-4484974-8224667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006JFKTUQ&pd_rd_r=e6fea1f4-3f64-408f-9c4e-889f9f1cbb60&pd_rd_w=D7lPH&pd_rd_wg=6PX6V&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=8NCA19Z845E9N5WD6K2Z&psc=1&refRID=8NCA19Z845E9N5WD6K2Z

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Wide-Edgetech-Super-Spacer/dp/B00UVUUU5Y/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2/136-4484974-8224667?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00UVUUU5Y&pd_rd_r=bd9583a0-3a6f-4552-83b9-8720bb4ee746&pd_rd_w=SwajK&pd_rd_wg=hHaxV&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=XG0301A55FEWX9Z3JCW5&psc=1&refRID=XG0301A55FEWX9Z3JCW5

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Do not listen to those who say they cannot be DIY fixed. You use this "Super Spacer" between the panes setting the spacer about a 1/4" from the outside of the window then fill the small gap with urathane sealing caulk. The spacer can be gotten in different widths. It is important to measure and get the correct size or the repaired window will not fit back in the frame.The worst part of the job is you have to "open up" the window frame so you can get the glass panes out. First you have to pull the window assembly from the RV. The frames are a continuous piece of aluminum bent into the window's shape and joined with a splicer. Once you get the screws out of that you can spring the frame open and get the glass out. I found, rather than totally dismantling the 2 pieces of glass, I used a razor knife to cut the old spacer out at the top and bottom leaving the window panes held together by the two sides. I did help someone whose spacer adhesive was so dried out the window pretty much fell apart once we started working on it (the new spacer has adhesive on both sides) so we had to completely re-space and seal the 2 pieces of glass. If yours seem mechanically sound, with the top and bottom pieces of spacer removed, use a rag with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on it and use a metal coat hanger to drag it back and forth inside the two panes. You need 2 people for this. This will remove the fog. Some claim the glass is "etched" but everyone I've worked on seemed to be fogged with something like calcium buildup on bathroom faucets. The chrome polish will scrub it away. Follow up with a clean rag to get rid of the polish haze. I slid the new spacer in using a screwdriver to get it 1/4" past the edge of the glass. A little tricky as you have to pull off the protective strips from the sticky spacer material . Even if the remaining old spacers seem to be failing slightly, the two new pieces will hold the window together and the urethane caulk actually does the real job of holding the window together. Dig enough of the old sealer out on the other 2 sides to let you flow a fresh coat on and totally seal the glass. Do this on a dry day. I've never had a window refog from any trapped moisture,. The Super Spacer has some desiccant in it to lock any miniscule amount of moisture away. As for the Argon gas filling they sell in new windows, it is absolutely not necessary for your DIY repair as RVs are so poorly insulated the tiny bit of help it might give is not measurable. This job is time consuming but the savings are immense. The urethane is the real workhorse here and your repair should last 10 years as long as you make sure the glass is clean when you apply it.