cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Battery Maintenance

Fauxqui
Explorer
Explorer
I have my two house batteries and my coach battery on maintenance chargers for the winter. Should I keep them on the chargers all winter? Take them off periodically?
I checked the water levels in the batteries and a few were a bit low. Is this normal?
14 REPLIES 14

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've been considering removing the batteries from my trailer so I could feel comfortable unplugging it for the Winter, and maybe saving a few bucks on electricity. I totally forgot about my cheap little battery maintainers sitting in the garage. Think I'll go that route. Thanks for the reminder!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap chargers do more harm than good.

9.Battery Tender Plus Battery Charging - Remember you must put back the energy you use immediately. If you don't the battery sulfates and that affects performance and longevity. The alternator is a battery charger. It works well if the battery is not deeply discharged. The alternator tends to overcharge batteries that are very low and the overcharge can damage batteries. In fact an engine starting battery on average has only about 10 deep cycles available when recharged by an alternator. Batteries like to be charged in a certain way, especially when they have been deeply discharged. This type of charging is called 3 step regulated charging. Please note that only special SMART BATTERY CHARGERS using computer technology can perform 3 step charging techniques. You don't find these types of chargers in parts stores and Wal-Marts. The first step is bulk charging where up to 80% of the battery energy capacity is replaced by the charger at the maximum voltage and current amp rating of the charger. When the battery voltage reaches 14.4 volts this begins the absorption charge step. This is where the voltage is held at a constant 14.4 volts and the current (amps) declines until the battery is 98% charged. Next comes the Float Step. This is a regulated voltage of not more than 13.4 volts and usually less than 1 amp of current. This in time will bring the battery to 100% charged or close to it. The float charge will not boil or heat batteries but will maintain the batteries at 100% readiness and prevent cycling during long term inactivity. Some Gel Cell and AGM batteries may require special settings or chargers.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Fauxqui wrote:
...Should I keep them on the chargers all winter? Take them off periodically....

This question is asked frequently on these forums. My response is always the same; "There is no way the question can be answered without knowing what chargers you are using".

I have all my stored batteries either on 'smart' three stage converter/chargers or on Deltran Battery Tenders constantly.

Any lead acid battery that is stored even the tiniest bit discharged will sulfate and shorten its life. Batteries should be kept constantly on a correctly regulated float charge.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you have maintenance chargers like a Battery Minder (TM) Battery Tender (TM) or a good 3-stage converter such as the Progressive Dynamics Intellapoer (TM) 9200.

YES,

If you mean a 2 amp trickle charger... NO.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
westend, yes but the Big Boy does 9 Stages:
Qualification
Battery Rescue
Soft Start
Pulse Mode
Recondition
Bulk Charge
Absorption
Check Phase
Maintenance

Increased battery life for $29. A battery is actually a 6 cell device. The chemistry, lead acid, produces 2.2 volts per cell and 6 cells in series totals 13.2 volts on a fresh battery. A 12 volt wall power supply probably does not supply over 13.2 volts like your alternator or converter or battery charger. A lower voltage trains the battery to function there at that level, that is why we do not mix an old battery with a fresh one. The old one will pull life out of the new one. The Big Boy monitors voltage changes and adjusts to maintain the battery instead of setting there with a static voltage applied 24/7. Google the terms/stages. The big boy can be pulled off of the house batteries to charge your dinghy or boat or whatever and put back for maintenance. $29 is a bargain for this multitasker.
Well, that Big Boy has a rated output of 1.25 A. That right there should be the end of anyone's buying experience if you want to use it as a battery charger. As a maintainer, it might work well, so does a $5 wall wart.
It has no other functionality beyond an indicator light that measures the battery's voltage. Soft start of 1.25 A of current, c'mon now.

I'm pretty conversant with how FLA batteries work and one thing I know is that batteries don't produce voltage, they store an electrical charge. FLA batteries are not "trained", either. They have no memory as does NiMh or other metal technologies.

When you can buy a Harbor Freight full sized battery charger that actually does have functionality, on sale, for $29, I don't see the Big Boy as anything but an overpriced, underpowered gadget.

Do you own one of these BigBoy chargers? If so, could you measure the output and post back here how the voltage and current are differing in all of those stages?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
westend, yes but the Big Boy does 9 Stages:
Qualification
Battery Rescue
Soft Start
Pulse Mode
Recondition
Bulk Charge
Absorption
Check Phase
Maintenance

Increased battery life for $29. A battery is actually a 6 cell device. The chemistry, lead acid, produces 2.2 volts per cell and 6 cells in series totals 13.2 volts on a fresh battery. A 12 volt wall power supply probably does not supply over 13.2 volts like your alternator or converter or battery charger. A lower voltage trains the battery to function there at that level, that is why we do not mix an old battery with a fresh one. The old one will pull life out of the new one. The Big Boy monitors voltage changes and adjusts to maintain the battery instead of setting there with a static voltage applied 24/7. Google the terms/stages. The big boy can be pulled off of the house batteries to charge your dinghy or boat or whatever and put back for maintenance. $29 is a bargain for this multitasker.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This $5wall transformer and two alligator clips will float your batteries, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Inexpensive battery maintenance tool. And automatic with a small footprint.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I do the same as Cobra21 for storing batteries. Charge them, ensure no loads on them (disconnect) and see them in the spring. Freezing the batteries outside in the winter in Ont. has never hurt any of them.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Mine live on a PD wizard converter year round, minus about 3 1/2 months dry camping, during which they really live on the converter and generator.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Fully charge them. Disconnect them. One day per month, charge them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound silly to some, but I charge and make sure they are up on water
when I take them out of service in the late fall. I leave them in an unheated
garage all winter without anymore charging. This is in Minnesota. If they
aren't 3/4 power or better in the spring, they're replaced.

Brian

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie, do a Google "12volt side of life". Read and learn. Answers LOTS of ????
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
If their trickle or float charger(s) keep them on. If their battery chargers and don't have a maintainer mode take them off periodically.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours