cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter Tire Maintenance

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
Storing my 2019 Cedar Creek 36ck2 in a heated garage with concrete floor. Tires are at max 110psi. Keep in mind its been there for 12 months now without it moving. I assume it will sit another 6 months till next spring.

1. Should I lift or partially lift rv with 6 point leveling system to take some or all weight off tires?
2. Should I move trailer occasionally to avoid flat spots. I'm told flat spots happened on older bias-belt tires, not new radials.
3. Should I take rv for a ride occasionally to flex tires?

I am trying to get to a point between neglect and ridiculous overkill.
Thanks much.
8 REPLIES 8

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this was my TT, I would raise and block the trailer so there was NO weight on the tires. I would apply a liberal amount of 303 to both sides of each tire and let it soak in for 24+ hours. I would then reduce the pressure in each tire down to 10 PSI. and cover them. With the reduced air pressure and no weight on the tires, exiting crack will not expand and new cracks will not develop as the tires heat and cool with the air temp. With no weight on the tires, the tire cords will not stretch and no flat spots develop (the 10 PSI will help keep the tires round).

If I were really, really ambitious and knew the trailer would not be used for more than 6 months, I would take the mounted tires off the trailer and store them out of direct sun light in an unheated garage after the above treatment.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires which are not used on a regular basis will dry rot!

This can happen in as little as 4 years. When used on a regular basis, heat builds up and chemicals within the tire wall work to the surface and help protect the tire. It sounds crazy but you can do some google searches and find more detailed information. The dry rot killed my spare tire stored under the bed of my pickup. After 4 years I put it in use. It looked good initially but cracks formed with just a few hundred miles of driving.

An RV tire cover will not prevent this. It is likely that Aerospace 303 will but it requires thoroughly cleaning the tire and then spraying a good coat on both sides of the tire. If exposed to rain and the elements the tires need to be retreated about every 3 months.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
when outdoors,cover the tires ,the sun will eat them.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Pump up to max pressure and put a vapor barrier between the tires and concrete

R_E_Baird
Explorer
Explorer
Same issue, different location. I will be storing the 5th wheel in Charlotte County, FL, new to me this year and am welcoming advice for tire health. Will the tires age quicker in this warm climate?
Jackie & Roland
Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2019 GMC Sierra K3500

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,m in north east ohio have a small C in a bildg on nice days when the salts not on the roads I drive the mh about ten miles if a tt I,d jack it up .if outside I,d cover the tires .

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Number 4, sell the tires in the spring and install made in USA tires. 😄

Then do number 3 in the future.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Number 3 is the best option. Tires do best when rolled/flexed. It will help for longer life, and reduce the tendency to crack/weather check. While raising tires for storage may help, IMO, not worth the trouble for an RV trailer.

Jerry