cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter travel

nicrdy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaving for Florida in a few days and my fiver is still winterized (wtr heater empty & bypassed and RV antifreeze installed). I'll be travelling for two days with low temps of 20-30F. When should I "un-winterize", and what would be the best approach? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What we did on our resent trip from a cold area to a warmer area. 5er is fully winterized. Temperatures down in the teens at night at home. Left to go to Mesa Az. for a 5 day trip the 1st part of Dec. Left the 5er fully winterized the whole time while we was there and back. Used gallon milk jugs for water. We used the toilet, boiled water for dishes & etc. but used campground showers. When ready to head home we drained all 3 tanks and added antifreeze to the traps. It work really well for us and when we got home I didn't have to worry bout having to re-winterize. Plus when we got home it was 8 o'clock at night and down in the teens.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
If those are the lows .... and it is only for a few hours in the early morning .... I would just have the furnace on (which I assume you will anyway if sleeping in there) and not worry about it. In other words, un-winterize when you leave and use the rig like you would in the summer. This is what I would do. If you aren't comfortable with this, then just drive down and un-winterize when you get there.

Have fun and safe travels,
Steve

Agreed.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Moved from Forum Technical Support

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If you're leaving from Arkansas you should be able to reach safe temperatures in about a half days travel. Might consider changing your route unless there is a reason NOT to. If you choose to stay in cold weather longer then leave the RV winterized until you do reach warmer weather then pull into most any campground or RV park that has sewer hook ups and spent a half hour or so doing the job there.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The FTS moderators will be happy to answer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Just flush with rv anti-freeze and use bottled water until you get far enough south to de-winterize.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
If those are the lows .... and it is only for a few hours in the early morning .... I would just have the furnace on (which I assume you will anyway if sleeping in there) and not worry about it. In other words, un-winterize when you leave and use the rig like you would in the summer. This is what I would do. If you aren't comfortable with this, then just drive down and un-winterize when you get there.

Have fun and safe travels,
Steve