cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wireing

Glenn_And_Kitty
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is a Troy-Bilt and only has the 120/240 four prong female plug for 30 Amp. There is no switch to select 110 or 220. The 110 outlets on that Troy generator are only 20 Amp so I need to use the 120/240 four prong outlet on that generator but only with 110 volt service to my RV.
I wired a four prong plug as follows: bare/ground wire to green screw/slot which is the prong that had the lock part on it. All the other screws were brass so there was no silver screw to attach the white wire to. I put the white wire at the bottom prong, directly across from the ground prong, which was marked โ€œWโ€ by that slot. The other two prongs are marked โ€œXโ€ and โ€œYโ€. I attached the black wire to the right side prong as you are facing the plug with the ground on top and the white wire on the bottom. I left the left prong open (no wires attached). I plugged in the cord and ran the generator. With a meter I put one lead on the ground wire and one lead on the black and got 110 volts. I left the lead on the ground and touched the white wire and got zero reading. I then touched the leads to the black and white wires and got a 110 volt reading. Is that correct??????????
Thanking you in advance.
Glenn
2019 Coleman 2425RB
2019 F-150
4 REPLIES 4

Glenn_And_Kitty
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies, info, and confirmation
2019 Coleman 2425RB
2019 F-150

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black (hot) to ground 110
Black (hot) to White (neutral) 110
Black to Red (other hot) not connected so can't test but it would be 240)
Ground to white zero volts

Absolutely normal Exactly as it should be Congratulations on a good job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the 30A 120/240V twist lock plug and receptacle, the neutral is indeed the W terminal and kitty-corner from the keyed ground connector. It sounds like you wired the plug exactly properly, and your measurements confirm this to be the case.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds right. You dont measure 240VAC anyplace and you have 120 at the appropriate terminals so you're good.