cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring And Electrical Tools For People With Weakened Hands?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Age and arthritis have taken their toll
  • I am encountering more and more problems and painful experiences while working with even small wires
  • I do have a compound-cutting pair of diagonal cutting pliers and I love them.

• For tiny cutting dykes that work without squeezing too hard I am looking at Knipex and other German made flush cutters
    • Any personal recommendations?
    • Using standard crimper/cutter pliers to strip 18 gauge and smaller wires is difficult for me. It's not the cut, it's the pulling off of the insulation
    • I need a pair of truly superior automatic strippers. Way less hand pressure needed to strip wires
    • I have a drawer full of <$15.00 automatic strippers and AFAIK they are near worthless junk. I do have a heavy pair of squeeze strippers 20-10 gauge that are easy(ER) to use than the auto strip pliers but they need lots of wire length to work. I like the nose action of the auto strippers but need half or less the hand pressure to strip 16-26 gauge wire
    • How weak are my hands? I need a screwdriver assist to open a pop top can. I cannot open a new jar without a tool, and it looks like I am forced to purchase an electric can opener.

I damned sure am not going to give up on the only hobby I enjoy because of weak painful hands. I even composed letters and sent them to WiHa begging them to manufacture a compound action stripper-crimper plier.

I am weary of spending precious Social Security income only to find a wire stripper is no better than any other. The latest ten dollar nose action squeeze stripper worked OK for about a month. Then the blades must have become dull. I am not mis using these tools.

Suggestions made by people who have worked with these tools and have found a clear winner would be appreciated. Knipex and WiHa are expensive w-a-y expensive but there are no alternatives. HAKKO snips are worthless. And the WiHa off-brand flush cutters actually bent their nose cutting 18-30 gauge soft copper.

THANK YOU!
9 REPLIES 9

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking I have learned and rely more on the art of sharpening my tools. I am discovering that many of the older tools, aside from being dull, might actually be of better quality. Not always successful, but the results are often gratifying.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
How about this:

https://www.amazon.com/PATCO-Thermal-Wire-Stripper-PTS-10/dp/B00R3R86JU
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if this is too low-tech, but I find using a knife to strip is much easier on my hands.

Sometimes I cut around the circumference of the wire and then pull the end off with pliers. Other times I sort of shave it off like sharpening a pencil with a knife.

For crimping small connectors, I set the crimping pliers down on a hard surface, like concrete, and hit the handle with a hammer. Squeezing is out of the question for me.

I agree that a helper is the best solution! But not always easy to find.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
  • Age and arthritis have taken their toll
  • I am encountering more and more problems and painful experiences while working with even small wires
  • I do have a compound-cutting pair of diagonal cutting pliers and I love them.

• For tiny cutting dykes that work without squeezing too hard I am looking at Knipex and other German made flush cutters
    • Any personal recommendations?
    • Using standard crimper/cutter pliers to strip 18 gauge and smaller wires is difficult for me. It's not the cut, it's the pulling off of the insulation
    • I need a pair of truly superior automatic strippers. Way less hand pressure needed to strip wires
    • I have a drawer full of <$15.00 automatic strippers and AFAIK they are near worthless junk. I do have a heavy pair of squeeze strippers 20-10 gauge that are easy(ER) to use than the auto strip pliers but they need lots of wire length to work. I like the nose action of the auto strippers but need half or less the hand pressure to strip 16-26 gauge wire
    • How weak are my hands? I need a screwdriver assist to open a pop top can. I cannot open a new jar without a tool, and it looks like I am forced to purchase an electric can opener.

I damned sure am not going to give up on the only hobby I enjoy because of weak painful hands. I even composed letters and sent them to WiHa begging them to manufacture a compound action stripper-crimper plier.

I am weary of spending precious Social Security income only to find a wire stripper is no better than any other. The latest ten dollar nose action squeeze stripper worked OK for about a month. Then the blades must have become dull. I am not mis using these tools.

Suggestions made by people who have worked with these tools and have found a clear winner would be appreciated. Knipex and WiHa are expensive w-a-y expensive but there are no alternatives. HAKKO snips are worthless. And the WiHa off-brand flush cutters actually bent their nose cutting 18-30 gauge soft copper.

THANK YOU!

I have used this one and its predecessor with great success. I know what you mean about not doing what you used to could.

Auto stripping pliers
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't have to be family, necessarily.
Hasn't someone nearer to you ever expressed an interest in your hobby, or simply what you're building or tinkering with?
Anyway, good luck with finding a resolution that works for you.:C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My bigger problem is just seeing that smaller stuff.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My son in law is 1,500 miles from here. I tried and I tried. Aptitude and attitude are severe barriers. But thanks for the suggestion.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Get an apprentice. Or a protege. Call him/her whatever you like.
Someone to do the grunt work for you, under supervised direction.
It would be a learning experience for all.
Just a thought.:)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Is a thermal stripper an option?
Example
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...