cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring issue

Hslag
Explorer
Explorer
In laws just bought a 1995 coachman catalina 338fl the gfi in bathroom does not work and the wall out lets on that side does not work either and there is to lights in the slide for dinner and coach area that appear to be 120 volt also and they are not working either.breakers are all ok . Is there a place to get a wiring diagram on them so I can tell how it is wired? I am a car mechanic and would like to no how the voltage flows from the breakers to this breakers? Any tips our help is greatly appreciated
11 REPLIES 11

Hslag
Explorer
Explorer
That is going to be my next step

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the home ones will work. Don't go too cheap. Good quality one.
Have you tested the one you have? Should have power on line side. No power means problem in 120 volt power section or in wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hslag
Explorer
Explorer
Will home gfi outlets work.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
That GCFI was manufactured more than twenty years ago. Missouri is not noted for bone -dry climate. Bathrooms get steamy wet. I would replace it for drill, regardless. Buy a good brand. 20-amp rated GCFI seem to be built better than 15-amp models and they fit like a charm.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a note on what westend's post.

"Lights are usually 12 VDC".... Key word here is usually. There are some coaches with a mixture of 12VDC and 120VAC lighting. My MIL has a travel trailer (I forget the brand) that has two 120VAC light fixtures and a couple 12VDC small reading lights in the slide out.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
i would do exactly like west end suggested. Then if no voltage there co some voltage checking at the breaker board.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Check for voltage on the wires to the back of the GFCI receptacle. Power goes from circuit breaker in load center to GFCI. From GFCI it will power other receptacles downstream. The load and test buttons on the front of the GFCI will not latch if there is no power to it.

Lights are usually 12 VDC. Look for a wall switch. If no wall switch check for voltage at fixture. If no voltage at fixture, look for blown fuse in distribution panel. If lamps are 120VAC, fix GFCI issue first, look for wall switch, and then see if 120V is present at fixture.

I don't know if a schematic is available from the mfg. Coachmen was bought by Forest River RV in Indiana, it now operates as a division of FR.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a bad gfci to me. it should control outlets on one side if it goes over kitchen sink and outside receptacle.if the gfci is bad it will not reset.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
If GFI has no power and other receptacles on the same side also have no power it sounds like the GFI is the problem. Does it reset? If not try replacing the GFI.

Make sure the bulbs are good as gbopp said. If bulbs are good and breakers are good check the switches. Our reading lights have push button switches. If not used regularly, the switches don't work.

We some 12V and some 120v lights in ours. You need to find out which ones you have.
Dan

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Lights should be 12 volts DC.
What does the GFCI receptacle do when you press the test button? If it pops out when the test button is pushed what happens when you then push the reset. If the test button is out and the reset will not set the GFCI, then it has no power. Reset circuit breakers by turning them all off applying light pressure toward off, then turn on main then each of the branch breakers one at a time.
Does anything work on 120 volts such as the AC unit or microwave?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Try replacing the GFI, it may control the other outlets.
Are the bulbs in the lights good? Always check the simple things first.