cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring question

bdecker
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have recently purchased a motorhome that had a Heart Interface converter/inverter. The converter/inverter was bad so I eliminated it and will purchase a new charger/converter. My problem is now that the inverter is gone I have a circuit for the 110 lights and all wall sockets which has no power. The circuit was fed from the inverter. I had thought there would be two power sources for this circuit, the inverter and shore power. Am I wrong and the power for this circuit would only have come from the inverter? If this is the case is it simply a matter of wiring the loose wires into a junction box?
Hope this makes sense to someone, any help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

bdecker
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got smart and found a wiring diagram for the Heart Interface. Makes sense now, the power comes to the interface from the main breaker panel and leaves the interface to the outlet circuit.I just have to wire the circuit into the box I installed for the new charger/converter. Thanks for all the help, did I post this in the wrong forum initially?

bdecker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again I think I'm understanding the problem now. The 110 came from the transfer switch in the inverter/converter to a 20 amp breaker located in the power bay and then the power went to the main panel. I was looking at it backwards.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, if you are knowledgeable and safe working around 120 VAC, wire the 120 VAC input to the inverter/charger to the output 120 VAC from the inverter/charger.

As already posted, this will give you power when you are on shore power.

You will also need to make other arrangements for charging the batteries, as that was the other function of the inverter/charger.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

westend
Explorer
Explorer
As Mandalay posted, your original inverter/charger probably had an internal transfer switch. The now inoperable 120V powered items were wired through that transfer switch and are now not connected to the grid. You should be able to wire the inoperable circuits directly from your load center.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Moved from Forum Technical Support

bdecker
Explorer
Explorer
The Heart interface was original equipment. Yes I thought it was odd to have a circuit 100% on the inverter unless the inverter just passed the 110 through while on shore power. I will not be replacing the inverter and have wired a 20Amp box for a plug in converter/charger. This circuit is also protected by a GFI which I have replaced. The main breaker panel shows a dedicated circuit for the inverter, all 110 lights and all wall outlets I'm having a hard time understanding why eliminating the inverter has caused a loss of power.Thanks for the reply's.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure one of those circuits to the inverter is not hot?
Is the just one 120v connection to the inverter?
Was this added by prior owner or oem?
Seems odd for oem to have something on inverter 100%.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter has an internal transfer switch that satisfies that function.
If you wire direct then you will have no 120 volts on those outlets when shore power is off.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter