cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wix or Fram filter?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Has WIX always been the Fram color? Or have I been living in a cave and maybe didn't here about one of them buying out other one or something? Picked up new air filter today and it had the Fram color orange.
Just wondering, I'm a WIX guy but maybe should change to something else if Fram is making them nowdays?

Is WIX still a premium filter?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
That's it folks,keep sniping at each other, that is REAL helpful to the discussion.

(Sarcasm key off now)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
---snip---
Please tell your friend I said hello and the world is indeed round.
Well it must be because YOU read it on the Internet.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
My reason for using Fram filters is that with their vinyl black coating I can remove and replace with my hands only.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I once had a neighbor that was in the high end auto parts biz: classics, etc. He always warned me about Fram and I always blew him off until he came home one day with a Fram cut in half with a large copper pipe cutter. The interior was littered with filter dust, and a few bigger chunks of filter media, easily enough to clog a seep hole. That was all the convincing I needed and have never run them since. They cut many different ones apart, but what I remember was:
Bottom of the line: Fram Orange
Top of the line: Mobil-1

Here is another Internet rumor that refuses to die. About five years ago Fram had a small batch of bad filters. Five years ago. If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com you will find out that Fram's Tough Guard and Extra Guard are well built filters. In addition to this-it has also been found there has been a rash of Wix filters with media tear.

Go over and browse that website.
I'm just checking here... Are you calling me a liar to what I saw in front of me? I could care less what you read or what Goggle says or finds when I look at the tests in front of me. I also never said WHEN all this took place, so you have no clue if it jibes with your 5 year claim. And it doesn't..

It's not inconceivable that any manufacturer could produce one bad filter when they produce thousands of them. In any manufacturing business there is an error rate, no matter what the item is being produced. To base your buying decision on one bad filter is not rational. Especially when there is evidence to the contrary that is recent.

The OCD (Orange can of death) rumor refuses to die.
If you read my post you will see that he warned me about that for several years, then opened one to prove it. That's not "one". I saw it, plain and simple. If they have changed manufacturing since then, great, they should have.

Yea-every Fram filter is junk, all thousands they produce-all the Tough Guard and Extra Guard filters that are highly regarded on a webpage that is everything oil and filters. Please tell your friend I said hello and the world is indeed round.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I once had a neighbor that was in the high end auto parts biz: classics, etc. He always warned me about Fram and I always blew him off until he came home one day with a Fram cut in half with a large copper pipe cutter. The interior was littered with filter dust, and a few bigger chunks of filter media, easily enough to clog a seep hole. That was all the convincing I needed and have never run them since. They cut many different ones apart, but what I remember was:

Here is another Internet rumor that refuses to die. About five years ago Fram had a small batch of bad filters. Five years ago. If you go over to bobistheoilguy.com you will find out that Fram's Tough Guard and Extra Guard are well built filters. In addition to this-it has also been found there has been a rash of Wix filters with media tear.

I'm just checking here... Are you calling me a liar to what I saw in front of me? I could care less what you read or what Goggle says or finds when I look at the tests in front of me. I also never said WHEN all this took place, so you have no clue if it jibes with your 5 year claim. And it doesn't..

It's not inconceivable that any manufacturer could produce one bad filter when they produce thousands of them. In any manufacturing business there is an error rate, no matter what the item is being produced. To base your buying decision on one bad filter is not rational. Especially when there is evidence to the contrary that is recent.

If you read my post you will see that he warned me about that for several years, then opened one to prove it. That's not "one". I saw it, plain and simple. If they have changed manufacturing since then, great, they should have.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Not sure if this is still true, but it used to be the NAPA number was just the WIX number with an added digit.

That is still true.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Not sure if this is still true, but it used to be the NAPA number was just the WIX number with an added digit.

The last time I looked it was the last 4 digits of the Wix part number that Napa used.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of info at bobistheoilguy.com. The Tough Guard does a good job in my Jeep.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

When I worked for the County fleet services (15 years ) the Wix salesman told us that Wix made filters for several company's NAPA, CARQUEST etc.
We had over 450 vehicles from lawnmowers to Cat loaders and never had a bad filter and never lost a engine.
Witch filter is better is like witch vehicle is better Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
J herb

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the wife's air cleaner on her Chev Traverse with Napa Gold, which I'm told is made by WIX. The OEM filter I replaced said "Made in Korea".
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Charlie D. I did google and I am wrong!! Thank you for pointing that out!! I would surely return it if I read it was from china,, I just changed oil Monday and used a Wix XD, bottom of box showed North Carolina,, I will surely be on the lookout!!
I stand corrected... Thanks again!!

Not a problem. Unfortunately it has become a "buyer beware" world. I first became aware of filter origins when buying a transmission filter locally for my Allison from a major distributor and finding it was from China. Heavy and a pretty red that looked identical to OEM.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:

Jeff - WA6EQU