cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help.... again....

travistodd1
Explorer
Explorer
So I recently had a bunch of problems getting my hot water heater to work in my 1990 Lynx 5th Wheel. I received some great help and got what I thought was the last of the bugs worked out of my camper....

Unfortunately at about 2 am while camping in the White Mountains I discovered a new problem. While I thought my furnace was acting as it should... turns out after it shuts off from warming up the camper to the desired temperature, the pilot goes out. Of course, I did not realize this until it was circulating some nice cool air in the middle of the night when it kicked back on. I had to restart the pilot each time I wanted to use the furnace. Then at the end of the trip, the pilot just would not restart at all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Travis
9 REPLIES 9

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Well.. There is basically NOTHING that can go wrong with a thermocouple flame sensor save for bad connections.

I disagree with this statement. I have had thermocouples die on me before. Cheap and easy fix. Replace it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well.. There is basically NOTHING that can go wrong with a thermocouple flame sensor save for bad connections.

BUT there is plenty that can go wrong with the flame it senses.. I would start with proper cleaning and adjusting of the pilot burner ... If there is anything obstructing the pilot that can cause a reduced flame.

Also, You say the pilot goes OUT when the main burner kicks in This strongly suggests that the problem is NOT the flame sensor (Thermocouple) since if it were not sensing flame the main burner would not kick in.

But it also suggests a bad pilot flame.. So again, I'd clean the pilot first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'll second the thermocouple. Classic symptoms. Cheap and easy fix.

travistodd1
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. Off to the RV store in the morning!

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Travis,

Check the flame sensor (millivolt generator). If it is not being sufficiently heated by the pilot light the gas valve may be shutting it off.

I agree with Don, replace the Pilot Light Thermocoupler. I'll bet that will fix it.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

travistodd1
Explorer
Explorer
It is an Atwood. I believe it said Hydra Therm or something similar. I will need to go look to verify. It heats well for the duration that it is on. It brings the camper up to temperature well and once it reaches the desired temp set on the thermostat it shuts down as is it should. It has a push button igniter on it that lights the pilot. Kind of like a BBQ grill. I went out earlier and the pilot fired right up.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with calamus. air in lines or maybe a wasp/dirt dobber nest in the exterior outlet

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of furnace is it?? A 1990 should not have a piolt light it should have an auto ignighter. Sounds like air in the lines. A little more info would be helpful.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Travis,

Check the flame sensor (millivolt generator). If it is not being sufficiently heated by the pilot light the gas valve may be shutting it off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.