cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wobbly dinette leg

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found a couple of screws on the floor under the dinette the other day. I got to looking and they had pulled out of the base the support leg screws into. My first thought was to just get bigger screws but decided to try something a little different. I turned the table top over so I could work on it and marked the location with 2 in masking tape. I then took out the other screws. I then took a 3/8 drill bit and marked how deep to drill (using one of the screws as a guide) wrapped the drill bit with about 5 or 6 layers of tape. This acts as a stop so you donโ€™t drill through the table top. I then mixed up enough JB weld to fill the holes. I scuffed the back of the bracket and the โ€œwoodโ€ cleaned every thing with acetone. After filling the holes I coated the back of the bracket with JB weld and located it to the surface. I then set the screws in the epoxy. I turned them in so there wouldnโ€™t be any voids or gaps. I used a little weight on the bracket to hold it in place and formed any excess into a fillet seal around the bracket. After it was nearly set up I removed the tape and cleaned any excess off with a sharp putty knife.
Well we will see how long this holds up.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
6 REPLIES 6

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our dinette table gets a workout what with using the dinette for one of the DGKs to sleep on and I had to do something to reinforce the table leg mounting plate. The table is hollow except around the edges and the 1/10 in luan plywood wouldn't hold the screws. My DW uses the table for support when seating and getting up and it really needs to be strong. I have scraps of 3/8 and 1/2 in Baltic birch ply and cut a piece of the 3/8 somewhat larger than the mounting plate and glued and screwed it to the luan. Works great and even folding and unfolding the leg is smoother now that there is no flexing or wiggling. More work? yes but permanent and even looks good.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

I bought a pack of these thread repair strips. I use scissors to cut of a sliver and insert it in the stripped out hole. The package has lasted me for some twenty years!

Thread Repair

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
you can use match sticks or steel wool in the holes and that gives the screws new surface to hold on to.

With the bonus of being removable . My guess is setting screws in wet epoxy is gonna be permanent .
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you can use match sticks or steel wool in the holes and that gives the screws new surface to hold on to.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Easy way:

Insert a matchstick into each hole and cut it off flush with the surface.

Reinstall screws.

Done.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a dinette that goes to the wall with seating on both sides, put in a dream dinette and you will never worry again.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel