Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woke up to a warm RV again. UPDATED

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was the breaker.

38’ DP, Coleman 15K about a little over a year old. Has been used often over the last year.
This is the front AC.

Woke up this AM and the breaker was popped. Flipped it and it started up and is running fine for over an hour now.

It did this about three weeks ago. Woke up to a popped breaker. Been running fine since.

Still under parts warranty. I’ll take it to our service place when we get back.

Any ideas?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
12 REPLIES 12

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I run the fan on high, always on.

There may have been a power event last night. My Winegard Pathway reset which happens when the power cycles. The compressor restarting into full head pressure might do it.

Get a Progressive EMS. They have time delays in them. When the power drops off, it will not return for 136 seconds (yes, weird amount of time) but this gives the A/C time for the pressures to fall off inside so it is not getting a hard start. Some newer A/C units have this built in, but I suspect most don't.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run the fan on high, always on.

There may have been a power event last night. My Winegard Pathway reset which happens when the power cycles. The compressor restarting into full head pressure might do it.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Small room high humidity its freezing up and kicking the breaker out either get a fan to pull air from the room or cut back on the therm

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and buy a spare breaker after a few trips they get weak.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly icing up and causing the compressor to over heat. Make sure the sensor is in place on the evaporator to prevent icing.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would call an AC guy before I took it to a dealer.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had this issue a couple of times myself with my front AC...I was camping in my drive way last week during termite tenting and it tripped the 20 amp breaker, not from low voltage. I can't explain it either, mainly because this was on initial start up...I reset breaker and all was fine from then on.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
In the heat of the afternoon put your clamp-on ammeter over the hot wire from the breaker. Compare the reading to specs or post here with the A/C model number.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
While the AC is running, touch the breaker and check for heat. If it is hot then check the screw securing the wire to the breaker and make sure it is tight. If it is tight and the breaker is still getting hot, replace the breaker. When or if you get the breaker out, make sure it isn't double-tapped. There should be only one wire coming off it.

One other thing to verify, it should have a 20A breaker, not 15A.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should have said 50A pretty modern park. I have a plug in voltmeter and it’s pretty steady 115.

It’s the front ac so its got the microwave and outlets on it but we were sleeping.

It has an EMS.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
After you check the voltage, check if there are any other loads on that breaker.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Low voltage.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman