cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xantrex Freedom 458 issues

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 Discovery has a Xantrex Freedom 458 that currently has a control board issue. The remote panel is good (tested with like inverter) but not communicating with my Xantrex. I can't control the inverter via the remote panel or the buttons on the inverter. When connected to shore power the converter will charge the house batteries and when disconnected will invert. I'm going to purchase a new control board in the near future.

The problem I'm having is that the converter will NOT fully charge my 4 Interstate house batteries (4 6volt wet cells). I verified this using a proper glass temperature compensated battery hydrometer.
When I was in Quartzsite my Classic charge controller would fully charge them after I programmed the proper charge parameters. The absorb voltage programmed in the Xantrex is not high enough to fully charge the Interstate batteries.
I'm currently under trees so I disabled the charge controller.
What I'm looking for is a programmable charge controller that I can also use to de-sulfate.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
10 REPLIES 10

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Katman
Thanks for the informative post. Glad you where able to get your Xantrex back!

I went out to my Xantrex and pressed the charge button and it turned the charger off (I was on shore power). I stand corrected when I stated the buttons on the Xantrex are not working. I did not try the invert yet.
What makes me think the issue is with the remote panel is the fact that when I plug the remote panel into the cable to the Xantrex the Charge LED will light for approximately 30 seconds then goes out. I'll try the phone cord idea one more time though. Also, was looking thru the Xantrex 458 videos on YouTube, One gent suggested jumpering the two pins on the face of the Xantrex to get the panel back. The pins basically force the charger on. You could rig up a switch to those pins and use that to turn on/off the charger if you did not have a remote panel.
Wanted to also thank Doug for the suggestions, I did try the disconnect EVERYTHING and shut down for XX minutes, again, could not hurt to try it a 2nd time. I think I'm also going to look into a new battery temp sensor. I believe mine is non operational because the float voltage does NOT change at all when I disconnect. Float currently hovers around 13.5 BUT should increase when the temps are 32 deg/F or below BUT then again, IF the control board is partially cooked it MIGHT also effect the temp sensor. The sensor itself is the one that you attach to the negative battery post. I also see posts about how those can go bad and in some cases run voltage back to the com board popping a chip. A properly functioning B.T.S. helps.

I do understand that the Xantrex Freedom 458 is indeed 12 years old but they are still manufactured. I saw a youtube video that stated the 458 was manufactured in 2018.

Time2roll, Thanks for the URL. I believe I should be looking to just find something to desulfate at the moment.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions/idea's

Hopefully, a Xantrex TECH will run across this post.

rm
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Katman1100
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem where my batteries would charge but the inverter would not work and I couldn't get the inside panel to do anything.
I tried turning on the inverter on the unit itself and nothing happened. I was about to take it out and replace when I started messing around with it a little more. I found out that you have to hold the power button down on the inverter for 5-10 seconds before it would turn on, not just press and release. Mime fortunately did turn on then.
I decided it was probably just a bad remote controller inside the coach. I removed it and ran a short cord (just an old phone line cord) from the unit inside the bay to the control panel and it worked! So in my case it is a bad cord and I just need to run a new one.
Hopefully yours is this simple or this information helps someone else in the future

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Garym114
The control board in the inverter has an issue, not the remote panel.Thanks for the reply.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which remote controller do you have? Basic controller setup you can set amp hours of your battery bank, power share and equalize.
I have a Link 1000 controller which can do much more than this but it is out of production, same thing for the Link 2000.

May just need a new basic controller, around $150
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's

When I stated converter I was referring to the Charging side of the Xantrex. Sorry for the miscommunication

Brett
If the xantrex is shut down & then restarted the voltage goes up to 14.1 and eventually floats to around 13.3
Time2roll
Midnight Solar Classic light 150
As stated above I'm under trees so the solar is not doing much of anything thus the reason I have it disabled

Doug
Been thru the powerdown of the Xantrex to try and get the communications back to the remote panel. As stated above I should have said Xantrex charger rather than Converter. Very aware of the age of the Xantrex. IF I HAD the money I would indeed purchase a NEW inverter. I am looking to replace the battery temp sensor.

Looking for a charger. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Have you tried disconnecting 120 and 12 volt power to the 458 for 10 minutes and reconnecting? THAT reboots communication errors on a Freedom.
2. You do NOT have a Converter. The Xantrex is a multi function Battery Charger.
3. If you determine the Xantrex does need a board, on a 13 year old Inverter, I would instead opt for a NEW Xantrex, which will also require a NEW remote panel as your panel probably will not function with the current Freedom's.
4. Is it Possible that your Battery Temp sensor system on the Xantrex is malfunctioning causing your full charge error? Doug

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Classic? as in Midnight Classic brand solar charge controller? This one should easily charge, equalize and desulfate.

Otherwise I recommend Morningstar controllers.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI'm currently under trees so I disabled the charge controller.โ€

Disabled the solar system? Why would you ever disable a solar system? Some solar charging even on overcast days, shade etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Robert,

What is charge voltage when first plugged in-- i.e. bulk charge voltage?

What is voltage after 10 or more hours-- i.e. float voltage?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/