cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yanaha generator volatage low - low load

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Was at the races and my generator would put out 117 volts when carrying 8-12 amps load but at low load, 3-4 amps, the voltage was only 105 volts.

The voltage readings are from my surge protector - which shuts off power to the RV when voltage is less than 106 volts. So if I want to power up the RV I have to turn the surge protector off. Just don't like running items at such a low voltage. I installed the surge protector last year and this is the first time I noticed this problem. May have always been there but I never bothered to check the voltage output of the generator.

It is a 4000 watt Yamaha generator. Model YG4000D. Looks similar to this one - mine does not have a volt meter - just a green power light.

2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
6 REPLIES 6

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
M GO BLUE wrote:
Norskeman wrote:
Was at the races and my generator would put out 117 volts when carrying 8-12 amps load but at low load, 3-4 amps, the voltage was only 105 volts.

The voltage readings are from my surge protector - which shuts off power to the RV when voltage is less than 106 volts. So if I want to power up the RV I have to turn the surge protector off. Just don't like running items at such a low voltage. I installed the surge protector last year and this is the first time I noticed this problem. May have always been there but I never bothered to check the voltage output of the generator.

It is a 4000 watt Yamaha generator. Model YG4000D. Looks similar to this one - mine does not have a volt meter - just a green power light.

...and therein lies your first mistake

Absolutely correct. It astounds me how many folks pay big bucks to get an EMS to protect their rig from bad power, then when they get bad power, disable the EMS.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info - will be looking for a local repair shop.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a garage-kept Yami 2400. 2010 model year. It has about 10-15 hours on it. I was having problems like those described. I took it in and the repair shop found out that some connections were corroded. They cleaned everything up and put dielectric grease on the connectors and all is good. You might wish to check yours.
Good Luck. Keep us informed.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Norskeman wrote:

...and therein lies your first mistake

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
...or problems with your surge protector reading the generator voltage. I would try a true RMS AC voltage meter to verify there is a problem with the generator.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the voltage regulator..Since its brushless it should have two capacitors and two diodes in the head unit... You need to check these..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh