cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You gotta be kidding me

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 15K BTU Coleman Mack a/c on our TT. Before the end of the first season, condensate began (not rainwater) began to leak inside the TT. So we had the a/c replaced under warranty. It was not long after the replacement that the new a/c began to leak again. After two years of leaking condensate water into a bucket, I finally found time to troubleshoot the problem. Thanks to this site I found the procedure to pull the shroud, clean the coils and clean the ONE weep hole.

That's right ONE tiny little weep hole. And that one tiny weep hole is sandwiched between the bottom of the a/c and the roof of the TT. Am I the only one who is astounded by this? How is this design not causing problems for everybody? I am also shocked the dealer would bear the expense of replacing an a/c when cleaning a weep hole is the solution.

Anyway, during my contemplation of how stupid this design is, I drilled a decent size hole in the side of my drip pan to ensure a steady reliable drainage of condesate that is easy to access and clean. You may jump all over me for doing it. But I dont care. Flame away.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2
20 REPLIES 20

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping for a TT several years ago, I got a face-full of water from an A/C unit. The salesperson said that is normal.

Needless to say, I bought my rig from another dealer.

I just went threw the same exact thing..... there ARE 2 . . you have to remove the screw holding the coils in place,, the second is directly under the middle of that... On mine it was the hole on the street side of the coach that was hard to find.... I used a blow gun with extension and an old steel hanger bent at the end... all is good
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
js6343js6343 wrote:
Yep, They did not return the old A/C to me. Shoot there was nothing wrong with it but a dirty weep hole. By the way there is not 2 in mine. There is ONE. Inspected multiple times.

Guess I am learning here there is no incentive for the dealer not to replace since they are reimbursed in full for parts and labor.

Anyway, no worries. It is fixed now. Just thought I'd share what I thought was some amazingly stupid design.

If it drains ON the roof, it has 2. Give me the model number. They ALL have 2 unless it drains thru the roof out the bottom of the RV. If inspected multiple times you would have seen the 2 and also if correctly diagnoised, they would have seen the 2 round indentions of the bottom of the drain holes on the rubber roof when the Old was removed. The Service center does NOT make the decision to replace or repair. RVP makes that decision. You MUST contac them for any warranty on a Roof AC. Once they know the facts, RVP determines if repair or replacement is needed. Warranty parts are NEVER the property of the RV owner. IF the supplier does not want them back, he can have them. In this case, once the Data Tag was removed, I would give the unit to the customer if he wanted it. It would be in the trash anyway.

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, They did not return the old A/C to me. Shoot there was nothing wrong with it but a dirty weep hole. By the way there is not 2 in mine. There is ONE. Inspected multiple times.

Guess I am learning here there is no incentive for the dealer not to replace since they are reimbursed in full for parts and labor.

Anyway, no worries. It is fixed now. Just thought I'd share what I thought was some amazingly stupid design.
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I used to always tell those guys I wanted to keep anything they replaced. Just put it in the floor.

I don't know if that made them more honest or not haha... Made me fell better anyway...

Roy Ken

Ditto, I always ask to see the old part come out and ask that it's saved, because it's mine and I'm taking it.

Warrantied parts are NOT returned to the consumer. They are returned to the entity paying the bill.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I used to always tell those guys I wanted to keep anything they replaced. Just put it in the floor.

I don't know if that made them more honest or not haha... Made me fell better anyway...

Roy Ken

Ditto, I always ask to see the old part come out and ask that it's saved, because it's mine and I'm taking it.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it repaired to your satisfaction. All the other patter here is just that "patter" and not related to your solving your problem. Camp On!
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would have drilled a hole on each end and each side as appropriate.
Need to ensure down hill exit in all conditions.

Illinoisgreyhou
Explorer
Explorer
"Do whatever works" is my motto and has not failed me, ever!!!
Me and....my 3 Greyhounds
Patch
Teague
Isabella

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
js6343js6343 wrote:
Even so the dealer still pays labor to put the a/c in.

Nope, the dealer is paid to do warranty work.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The dealer is not an idiot--his so called tech is
2. The fix to the original AC was to replace the mount gasket as it was compressed too much from install (or continued tightening from the original complaint). This causes the mount pan and drain pan holes to be compressed and blocked off by the rubber roof. COMMON problem on RVP AC units from Installers and service techs that continue to tighten the mount bolts without realizing the problem with doing that. Once the gasket is halfway compressed you REPLACE the gasket to prevent water intrusion inside
3. WARRANTY---RVP and Dometic pay Labor and supply the New AC unit. BUT, we are required to remove the Data Tag label (has model and s/n) and send this back with the warranty claim. That means the AC should not be sold and if so, there is no model number or Tag to ever get any warranty help.
4. I find it hard to believe that RVP supplied a NEW AC for the OP's original complaint. RVP knows what I know and posted here. They would have required the Tech to verify Gasket and mount. RVP would have paid for a new gasket under warranty. Doug

PS, THERE ARE 2 DRAIN HOLES ---1 ON EACH SIDE. NOT weep holes, drain holes

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
js6343js6343 wrote:

Even so the dealer still pays labor to put the a/c in.

Reimbursed at the warranty rate by the manufacturer and it is not very complicated when you have the means to lift the unit and set it in place

Well that does explain that part of it.
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2