cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

YQK crimping tool

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
In another thread we were discussing crimping and I was to tell y'all about the YQK-120 12 ton crimping tool I bought off of ebay.

First thing is they sent me the YQK 240 16 ton tool. Instead of the #10-120 dies, it has #16-240. I have anything under the #16 covered so it's all good I guess.

This is what I ordered.
YQK-120A

This is what I got
YQK-240A

Second is I was right to order big. There is no way the #50 die will do a 1/0 sized crimp. The #120 that was the largest in the tool I ordered will if using the wire and it's coating as a size indicator is anything.

The #95 was just the right size to crimp a 1/2 inch brass tube nice and pretty and the #25 did a right nice job on a 4 gauge lug I had. It crushed both down effortlessly, even when I recrimped them with the next size smaller die. I'll have to order some 1/0 lugs to play with.

So for less than $40 I doubt I'll ever have a issue crimping anything ever again.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator
58 REPLIES 58

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I saw some of the ratcheting shears at HD before going to HF. They wanted three times as much but they may be helpful if you have smaller or weak hands. ---snip---
These I'm referring to are the standard ol' PVC pipe cutters, and since they open enough for 1" PVC, a small diameter piece of 4/0 is nothing, and a far easier squeeze. I saw the one at HF but couldnt bring myself to buy it after trying the PVC shear myself.

BTW- HF no longer sells the precut pieces of Red and Black waterproof shrink tubing. ๐Ÿ˜ž

(Later that same day..)
Cleaning up from a sprinkler project, I grabbed a piece of 4/0 Royle Excelene and made this cut with my everyday shears complete with leftover mud. The snip on the left was the lousy cut made with my cable shears that are great and expensive, but they don't do well with superfine wire welding cable.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have hands so weak I cannot break the seal of a cap on a bottle of soda. The ratcheting cutter is supposed to be a one-hand tool. With me, it is (2) hands. I am praying the new crimper can have a cheater bar for the lever but it looks as though my son in law is going to be making the cables. I am preparing a solder pot to dip cable battery post in sans fastener after crimping. Ever since a blade of a gardening shear snapped and the crescent shaped shard buried its tip in the top of a workbench I am skittish about using tools made for wood on copper

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Those cutters sound nice!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I saw some of the ratcheting shears at HD before going to HF. They wanted three times as much but they may be helpful if you have smaller or weak hands.

Honeys hand are not nearly as big as mine so now we also have a 18" set of HF cable cutters. The 10 inch take little effort from my big hands, the 18 inch are like cutting through a stick of butter. (those were under $20)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Got a new harbor freight just up the street, next time I stop in, I'll look for that cable cutter
This sounds silly, but a friend of mine rewired his batteries and inverter with 4/0 Super Excelene and my crimper. He said he used a garden variety PVC ratcheting cutter.. Really? That must be ugly...?
Turns out if cutting it with the jacket on, it literally slices like butter! I was standing on my cable shears attempting to do the same job and the result was nowhere near as pretty as the PVC shear. I suspect even tendinitis laden digits would have no problems. Not so with the shears.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah something like...

"It's not the fault of the organ...

If the cathedral's too large"

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Well Bob, you know what they say, it's not the size of your tool, it's how you use it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got home and I have the lowely YQK 70A. I feel so inferior.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jim there is a rotary cable slicer that mimics the way a metal tubing cutter cuts tubing. Adjustable cut depth. Eliminates nicking the strands. Way way faster than using a knife.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got some 1/0 lugs in, Thank you Windy nation for a great price and fast shipping.

First thing is I was completely off base when I said the #50 was too small. I tried using a #70 first and it barely touched the lug. The #50 did a beautiful job without having to rotate the lug to avoid earing.

With a light touch the $6 HR wire cutters strip the insulation off the 1/0 in a heartbeat.

So even though I got the 16 ton tool by mistake, I'd have to believe the 12 ton I ordered would have done as well as it went up to #120. For under $40 it will make the numerous lugs I have crimp a lot easier.

MrWizard
Got a new harbor freight just up the street, next time I stop in, I'll look for that cable cutter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My returns involve an airline ticket and ---- out of luck when they go dull. I sure like my big ratchet cutter but a HF search says they have joined the yeti and unicorns.

Manana I am ordering a 12-die 16-ton hydraulic crimper with a swivel head.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
I picked up the HF 10" cable cutters today. They were on sale for a bit under $6. As I paid for them the cashier told me that they have a lifetime warranty so just bring them back if any thing goes wrong. They will replace them, no receipt needed.

They went thru the 1/0 with very little effort and a nice clean cut too. I'm thrilled and if they dull, I'll trade them in. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cool beans!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up the HF 10" cable cutters today. They were on sale for a bit under $6. As I paid for them the cashier told me that they have a lifetime warranty so just bring them back if any thing goes wrong. They will replace them, no receipt needed.

They went thru the 1/0 with very little effort and a nice clean cut too. I'm thrilled and if they dull, I'll trade them in. ๐Ÿ™‚