cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2023 Power Stroke vs 2023 Ram Cummins Towing Challenge

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford: Better towing acceleration, better performance, better fuel economy, less squat

Ram: Better exhaust brake, good ride quality.

Looks like the 6 speed vs 10 speed discussion has been exposed in this video.

Enjoy...

Link

This evaluation was performed by a Ram owner.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
66 REPLIES 66

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda feel only a few think your statement is true. Because of just a handful seem to really care. retired from rving chevman. 2005 duramax dually is now a garage queen.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
^^^If itโ€™s just about marketing I think 8 gears and a few more ponies would probably be enough for Ram customers to be happy. If itโ€™s about actually keeping up to Ford up the hill the Cummins being a little higher revving makes enough torque at 1075 lbft but needs 500 hp at 2800 rpm to run neck and neck with the HO Powerstroke. I think adding 80 hp might not necessarily be that easy to do. It might be easy enough to just add fuel but meeting emissions and keeping the heat away may require some significant changes.

As of recent years Ram/Cummins don't like to suck hind teet, so I suspect there will be significant changes with the next gen HD trucks powertrain. The big question is when?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^If itโ€™s just about marketing I think 8 gears and a few more ponies would probably be enough for Ram customers to be happy. If itโ€™s about actually keeping up to Ford up the hill the Cummins being a little higher revving makes enough torque at 1075 lbft but needs 500 hp at 2800 rpm to run neck and neck with the HO Powerstroke. I think adding 80 hp might not necessarily be that easy to do. It might be easy enough to just add fuel but meeting emissions and keeping the heat away may require some significant changes.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
The video that the troller posted originally has nothing to do with the HO engine and the Aisin transmission. Itโ€™s the old 68RFE that canโ€™t handle the high output.

So, without question, a 2500 would perform better with a different transmission (preferably with 8 or 10 gears) that can handle more HP and TQ.

And if weโ€™re making requests, letโ€™s do a ZF since they are one of the best. And no, I donโ€™t care even a little if the transmission is outsourced.

My 11 HO DRW 3.42's with 68rfe did a fine job with none of the complaints from others towing 30k combined. Probably because I ran the HE!! out of it for the first hundred miles, trained it well. Nice firm shifts! The only issue was getting the load rolling on grade. If it had 4.10's I would probably still own it pulling 35k+.

Ron,
You have just described the positive for the 8 and 10 sp transmissions. You won't need 4.10s with a 6 so to move 35k lbs. Because the 10 sp that Ford and GM use has a 4.56 iirc 1st gear vs you 3.5x. reality is, a 10 sp will have an overall low, lower than a 4.10 geared rig, yet give you the low rpm freeways gears.
My 6sp 4.3v6 has more torque hitting the ground than ANY of my 4.10 gear 4 so autos. I have a 4.10 in first, instead of a 2.48 in 1st, I can multiply more with my ra at 3.42.
This is what your missing with a 6 so vs a 10 sp.
My 6sp is better than my 4 so autos, not as good as the 8 so at 4.3 in 1st, 10 sp is about 4.5x. that lower gear you want for startup is in the transmission!
Ye Ford4x is correct, you may not tow much faster up hills on a freeway grade, UNLESS you can get more HP and or torque to the rear wheels.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
The video that the troller posted originally has nothing to do with the HO engine and the Aisin transmission. Itโ€™s the old 68RFE that canโ€™t handle the high output.

So, without question, a 2500 would perform better with a different transmission (preferably with 8 or 10 gears) that can handle more HP and TQ.

And if weโ€™re making requests, letโ€™s do a ZF since they are one of the best. And no, I donโ€™t care even a little if the transmission is outsourced.

My 11 HO DRW 3.42's with 68rfe did a fine job with none of the complaints from others towing 30k combined. Probably because I ran the HE!! out of it for the first hundred miles, trained it well. Nice firm shifts! The only issue was getting the load rolling on grade. If it had 4.10's I would probably still own it pulling 35k+.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
^^^And if you're happy with 6 gears behind your 2015 Cummins you'd be ecstatic with 6 gears behind a new HO Cummins. Your 2015 is probably only making about 345 HP at 2200 rpm so someone could at least argue that a 2015 would benefit from more gears. The new HO engine will make more like 415 HP at 2200 rpm .... more gears certainly isn't going to make it pull a hill any faster. It might be nice to have another overdrive gear for running empty though.

It's nice you understand all this, and you seem to be the only one!!! Like I said 3.42's would net me a touch better highway mileage. 3.42's are basically same rpm in 5th as my 4.10's in 6th, 1,750.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bionic Man wrote:

Well youโ€™re in luck, once Ram finally does it. Because it is, has been and will be by all accounts a ZF Powerline model 8 speed trans.
And if itโ€™s anything like the dead reliable best in business 8HP models and their predecessor (not ZF but Diamler) NAG1 5 speeds, it will be a great transmission.
And itโ€™s already in use in European applications, for a couple years now I believe.
The plant was just finished to produce them down in Carolina a couple months ago with production for North American applications expected to start this year.
None of the current data brags about it being rated for more than 1000ft lbs but that rating is at almost 60kgvw and itโ€™s designed for med duty and light heavy (small class 8s). Considering the โ€œlittleโ€ 8HP100 trans (different unit same company) is rated to like 700-800ft lbs and holding up fine in Hellcats, Red Eyes and Demons. And the Ram HD gassers use the lesser 8HP70, Iโ€™m sure the rating for the Powerline will be re-stated to work with the new Ram HO diesels, easily.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:

Just to emphasize for Karen that the ZF doesn't have a PTO provision unless they're making a design change.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I can see it now...Today a 10 speed in a RAM HD truck is not necessary, but in the future when they're standard equipment, it will be the best feature offered in RAM trucks and the praises will be off the charts.

The big question is who is designing this transmission for Stellantis?

You talkin this mystery trans that has been coming for years?????

I guess I am. That's why I would like to know who's designing this new transmission to go into a HD RAM, because it has to be extremely expensive to develop and to set up a assembly line to produce it. RAM needs to install this new mystery transmission in 2500 trucks as well to get some economy of scale. I haven't looked at new RAM 3500's lately, but there was a time when most of them were still equipped with the 68RFE transmission including our 2018 Ram and don't know if that was because of cost or limited production capacity of the aisin (My gut feel is because of cost). Having said that it would be good if RAM could standardize on a transmission for their HD trucks, but that maybe difficult since they don't have the engineering staff to design their own transmission and outsourcing from another manufacturer maynot be cost competitive with the other 2 brands.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^And if you're happy with 6 gears behind your 2015 Cummins you'd be ecstatic with 6 gears behind a new HO Cummins. Your 2015 is probably only making about 345 HP at 2200 rpm so someone could at least argue that a 2015 would benefit from more gears. The new HO engine will make more like 415 HP at 2200 rpm .... more gears certainly isn't going to make it pull a hill any faster. It might be nice to have another overdrive gear for running empty though.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I can see it now...Today a 10 speed in a RAM HD truck is not necessary, but in the future when they're standard equipment, it will be the best feature offered in RAM trucks and the praises will be off the charts.

Itโ€™s not a 10 speed and itโ€™s not a mystery, but Iโ€™m sure you both know that. However it is far overdue and a long time coming and regardless of what my source says, I still have doubts itโ€™ll be in the 2024 models.
Doesnโ€™t need to be. Seems like new diesels are still in short supply and just about the only models that are selling for asking/premium prices still although forward thinking would require Ram to begin making the change before they eventually lose market share to the others. (Even though they could likely gain market share from informed buyers if theyโ€™d made the switch already)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Marty what you say is true but I already wish I could lock out first running BobTail. I have pulled away on some steep grades at 35k combined with no hopping of the drivetrain with my 4.10's and AISIN. Would I like lower highway rpm's for sure. To do it again I would have ordered my current DRW with 3.42's and AISIN. A friend tows the same weight Mobile suites with 3.42's and AISIN with zero issues at 200k on the clock of that 1/2 or more towing.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III