cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2023 Power Stroke vs 2023 Ram Cummins Towing Challenge

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford: Better towing acceleration, better performance, better fuel economy, less squat

Ram: Better exhaust brake, good ride quality.

Looks like the 6 speed vs 10 speed discussion has been exposed in this video.

Enjoy...

Link

This evaluation was performed by a Ram owner.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
66 REPLIES 66

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I do not think more gears in a RAM/Cummins will change towing performance very much. What it could provide is truck that can perform equally as a towing monster and a freeway cruise. My 2015 with Aisin and 3.42 gears was a freeway cruiser, that towed at 24,500 lbs combined just fine. As it is now, if one wants really heavy duty towing you go for 4.10 gears. So with more gears you could have your cake and eat too. What occurs on the IKE will not change that much, and I6 is just what it is, a quarter horse not a race horse.

CONCUR!!!

Also that "Quarter Horse" understands WHOA-NELLIE much better than the race horses.

I tow heavier than anyone else on here at 35,500# combined and don't want or feel the need for more gears.

Actually, what you two would find with a 10 sp, is an overall low lower with the 342 set up vs a 410 asian setup. But have the top end lower rpm of the 342. Your overall ratios would be better. A slight improvement of performance and mpg solo or towing. When the hill is too steep for direct, a taller gear below for a bit faster freeway or mtn pas speed.
Granted I'm not talking alot better, but an improvement overall. Enough to make the $70-100K chang out. For most of us probably not. Their would be an improvement.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ahhh, the perpetual โ€œone upper.โ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I do not think more gears in a RAM/Cummins will change towing performance very much. What it could provide is truck that can perform equally as a towing monster and a freeway cruise. My 2015 with Aisin and 3.42 gears was a freeway cruiser, that towed at 24,500 lbs combined just fine. As it is now, if one wants really heavy duty towing you go for 4.10 gears. So with more gears you could have your cake and eat too. What occurs on the IKE will not change that much, and I6 is just what it is, a quarter horse not a race horse.

CONCUR!!!

Also that "Quarter Horse" understands WHOA-NELLIE much better than the race horses.

I tow heavier than anyone else on here at 35,500# combined and don't want or feel the need for more gears.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gears didn't make a difference, fueling did.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You guys are too much!
The HD Ram diesel has been long overdue for an auto with more cogs since before the Frogs took over.
Heck, they were road testing the Powerline back in 2017-2018 fitted in to 4th Gens. It was a go and then Covid. My source (yup a buddy who has been w ZF for about 15 years now) says the Powerline will be in the โ€˜24 models now finally. But not advertised as to not hurt the sales of the current models. Especially the suckers still buying 68rfe trucks. True or not? Time will tell.
S u cks for me as Iโ€™d really like to find a newer used Ram here soon but even if they come out this year, itโ€™ll be a couple more years before thereโ€™s any Grit dog priced Powerline Rams for saleโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™d get a 10speed L5P but the Chebbies are still uglier than a mud fence and my brain is just barely starting to wrap around the busy look of the Jimmys front clips (although worlds better than the family truckster lookโ€ฆ). Plus GMCs it seems the majority are either full zoot Denalis which have become nothing more than a status symbol with prices to match, or white work trucksโ€ฆleaves VEry few mid level trim GMCs at all on the market. New or used.

Troll... :B

My name is actually Thrall, but Iโ€™ve been called worse! Lol
Although most Hispanics call me Trallโ€ฆ

And I didnโ€™t watch the video, but the only way to only get 22-24psi out of that Dudge is to have a significant boost leak, or not enough strength in the drivers right ankle to push the skinny pedal furtherโ€ฆ.
Doesnโ€™t matter what gear or rpm, theyโ€™ll run low 30s stock boost in any gear if you plant your foot down.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
You guys are too much!
The HD Ram diesel has been long overdue for an auto with more cogs since before the Frogs took over.
Heck, they were road testing the Powerline back in 2017-2018 fitted in to 4th Gens. It was a go and then Covid. My source (yup a buddy who has been w ZF for about 15 years now) says the Powerline will be in the โ€˜24 models now finally. But not advertised as to not hurt the sales of the current models. Especially the suckers still buying 68rfe trucks. True or not? Time will tell.
S u cks for me as Iโ€™d really like to find a newer used Ram here soon but even if they come out this year, itโ€™ll be a couple more years before thereโ€™s any Grit dog priced Powerline Rams for saleโ€ฆ.
Iโ€™d get a 10speed L5P but the Chebbies are still uglier than a mud fence and my brain is just barely starting to wrap around the busy look of the Jimmys front clips (although worlds better than the family truckster lookโ€ฆ). Plus GMCs it seems the majority are either full zoot Denalis which have become nothing more than a status symbol with prices to match, or white work trucksโ€ฆleaves VEry few mid level trim GMCs at all on the market. New or used.

Troll... :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You guys are too much!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
And so has the RV.net Karen... Along his all new revised mirrors for 2023 :W

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The troll has blatantly entered the chatโ€ฆ..
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
It's just that he basically was bad mouthing something he should not have. "Bad transmission it needs more gears", it has gears he could have used them.

The standard output Cummins doesn't have the kind of torque rise that the high output does. More gears behind the Standard Output would help it perform a little better.

As presently tuned, the HO wouldn't benefit much at all by adding gears. If they ever put more gears behind the High Output Cummins they will probably flatten out the torque curve a little bit as well. By doing so they will increase the peak HP some to help it compete a little better with GM and Ford.

It seems that since the French took over Chrysler, RAM hasn't really made any significant upgrades. The exception could be their upcoming EV truck and their 1500 ICE trucks midcycle refresh isn't expected to be released until MY 2025.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
It's just that he basically was bad mouthing something he should not have. "Bad transmission it needs more gears", it has gears he could have used them.

The standard output Cummins doesn't have the kind of torque rise that the high output does. More gears behind the Standard Output would help it perform a little better.

As presently tuned, the HO wouldn't benefit much at all by adding gears. If they ever put more gears behind the High Output Cummins they will probably flatten out the torque curve a little bit as well. By doing so they will increase the peak HP some to help it compete a little better with GM and Ford.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blt2ski
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Someday the Ram will have more gears as well. Then these conversations will be moot.
My 2001 Dmax had a 5 speed, the 2011 a 6 speed. and the 2020 a 10 speed. Each tranny performed better than it's predessor.
You will agree once you have one

I agree re the more gears is nice! I remember the TH400 POS 3 sp auto in some GM's I had. The NV4500 better than the TH400, a bit better than the SM 4 sp. The 700R4 better than the 4L80E. The 05 5sp ally not bad. My current 6 sp in my 1500 is the best GM auto I've driven. DO have to admit, the 10 sp in the work transit van is the best so far. BUT, dare I say for how I use, don't need the 4.10 gears. The 3.55 I had in the previous 6sp should be better. Probably gain 2 mpg or there about too. I really don't need to be turning 2000 rpm at 60. 1600 was fine with the 6 sp auto transit at 60.
Best pulling transmission has been the Spicer 7sp emanual in my Navistar. The NV 4500 in my 96 6.5td was a good setup too with 4.10's.

Transmissions in general, keep getting better and better! As do engines, and the vehicles themselves generally speaking.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Someday the Ram will have more gears as well. Then these conversations will be moot.
My 2001 Dmax had a 5 speed, the 2011 a 6 speed. and the 2020 a 10 speed. Each tranny performed better than it's predessor.
You will agree once you have one
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III