cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2023 Power Stroke vs 2023 Ram Cummins Towing Challenge

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford: Better towing acceleration, better performance, better fuel economy, less squat

Ram: Better exhaust brake, good ride quality.

Looks like the 6 speed vs 10 speed discussion has been exposed in this video.

Enjoy...

Link

This evaluation was performed by a Ram owner.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
66 REPLIES 66

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where I live we don't have any hills. The closest would be the Texas hill country area.

blt2ski
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
At my age(will complete my 8th decade on the planet next June) I am slowly deciding that being the first to the top of the hill is not that important anymore.

Nothing wrong with that...

Considering how many times I have stalled out in first gear blowing up transmissions thru the last 40 years of towing.......I'm happy to get to the top of the hill at any speed! Especially the steeper grades here in puget sound that get upwards of 30% in grade.

Being to top heavy in power vs nothing at the bottom is not good either. Best if the truck you drive has the proper low gearing for low speed maneuvers, and HP for freeway hauling when and if you do a lot of that. Otherwise, you have the wrong tool!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
At my age(will complete my 8th decade on the planet next June) I am slowly deciding that being the first to the top of the hill is not that important anymore.

Nothing wrong with that...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes I thought there was some room to downshift as well, but I would have preferred it to downshift to give a little more power to work with going up that hill.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
He's kind of full of poo. He claims the reason the Ram didn't want to pull the hill better was because the 6 speed transmission would have caused the Cummins to over rev if it had downshifted from 5th to 4th. The 68 RFE could have dropped to 4th gear no problem... That said, I like the transmission programming just the way it is. I would rather climb the hill at 105 km/hr, be slightly under the cruise control set point, and at 2000 rpm vs downshifting to 4th and accelerating to 2560 rpm to just to maintain 110 km/hr. If having an F150 pass me were to bother me I could always manually select 4th. He says the Cummins has all sorts of low end torque, but, in reality it was the lack of low end torque that prevented him from climbing the hill with the ease that the Powerstroke was able to accomplish the climb with. I think the Powerstroke climbed the hill at 110 km/hr and about 1900 rpm.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah, a somewhat real world YouTube video. I did watch most of it, and was pretty good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"