cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM 6.2L 420hp and 10-speed

jfortenbery
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm curious if anyone is towing with the Silverado or Sierra 1500 with the 6.2/10-speed. I've got one on order to replace my 5.3L/6-speed. I'm hoping for a slight improvement over my last combo.

Thanks,
Jeff
22 REPLIES 22

I just got a 22 Silverado 6.2/10 speed and was thinking about a camper in your weight range. Just curious how has your truck held up. 

garyoNC
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.2L should do a little better. But, 8K pounds may be a bit much for a 1/2 ton.

jfortenbery
Explorer II
Explorer II
The data tells me it'll be a decent improvement, but data don't always tell the whole story. What I never liked about my 5.3/6speed was mainly the transmission. On long hills (or should i say slight upgrades), it would shift (in tow mode) from 6th (2,300 rpm) straight to 4th gear (3,800 rpm) skipping 5th altogether. AND, a GM V-8 just don't sound happy to me at 3,800 rpm. This was a Silverado w/ max towing pkg and 3.42 gearing.

BTW, I'm pulling a 32ft Outback 280KRS at about 8,000 lbs. I hope this new combo (and 460 ft/lb torque) will ease on down the road - or up the hills - a bit easier.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyoNC wrote:
I just got my 20' Silverado w/6.2L and 10 speed. It is a beast. I got the factory performance package and it is very powerful. I will be getting a 21' travel trailer sometime this winter and will use this as my tow rig. Most surprising thing about my truck is with all that performance, if I keep my foot out of it I get real good gas mileage. I average around 21/22 MPG, and according to the DIC my highest ever was 24.8 MPG!

You got a truck with the 6.2L engine to pull a 21 foot TT?? You won't even know it's back there.

garyoNC
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my 20' Silverado w/6.2L and 10 speed. It is a beast. I got the factory performance package and it is very powerful. I will be getting a 21' travel trailer sometime this winter and will use this as my tow rig. Most surprising thing about my truck is with all that performance, if I keep my foot out of it I get real good gas mileage. I average around 21/22 MPG, and according to the DIC my highest ever was 24.8 MPG!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if handling will be any better but you won't be at a loss for power. It does need 93 Octane for max power. Probably won't notice much between 87-93 IMO.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one, but my engineering hat thinks you'll see more than slight improvement with 15% more power and 4 more gears!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It would be a slight improvement if it was only running on 7 cylinders. Running on all 8 it will be a large improvement.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold