cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm curious to know what you would do?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am replacing my 2022 F350 Platinum with 26000 miles. I can replace it with an identical truck .... 9 months newer and 1/2 the mileage for $4000 difference .... or, for $14,500 (CAD) difference I can pick up a new 2023 high output Platinum that I ordered months ago that has finally come in.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
91 REPLIES 91

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
How much did you have to dish out for the 2022?

Since 2010 my cost of depreciation, repairs and maintenance has been less than zero.

A while back I think you convinced me your buying new regularly was not as crazy as I thought.
Nevertheless your cost since 2010 has not been zero.
How much have you spent buying your trucks since 2010? Have you simply recirculated the same $50K over that time?
I have to agree that since buying a new truck in 2019 my repair cost have been much lower than when I purchased used late model trucks.
That said, I will hold onto this 2019 until its worn out!

No, it hasn't been zero, it's actually been less than zero. I've spent $364,500 plus tax buying new trucks including the purchase of my 2011 King Ranch in the fall of 2010. If I sell my 2022 now, for what I am offered by the wholesaler I've been dealing with, I will have received a total of $374,000 plus tax for the sale of these same trucks. I'm certain I have spent less than $9500 on tires and oil changes ... I can only remember buying 1 set of tires, plus I have done of few oil changes, which I do myself. The total mileage put on the trucks I've owned in this time period is 224,000 miles. Again, I realize that this is not normal nor available to just anyone. As well, I think the time for this has likely about come to an end ... but it was good while it lasted.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I look at it this way. I have grown to respect your way of buying the next NEW truck hardly after the first oil change is required. Now to think of you possibly buying a USED truck is just shattering my respect for your style!!! :B

Last week we purchased a "used" 2023 Ram 2500 Hemi with ~9k miles so some more shattered respect. We really didn't need it, but the price was good. My wife (she wrote the check) and I picked it up and drove it to the farm. Rides pretty smooth.

What is this RV Community coming to??? Next thing ya know I will be buying Sailun's.

China tires? I'll pass...

Same here! I had to choke a bit buying the Continentals they are made in the Chez Republic. Continentals have a stellar rep with the DRV Community. Unfortunately the GY's did not hold up running at near max capacity.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
4x4ord wrote:

Since 2010 my cost of depreciation, repairs and maintenance has been less than zero.

A while back I think you convinced me your buying new regularly was not as crazy as I thought.
Nevertheless your cost since 2010 has not been zero.
How much have you spent buying your trucks since 2010? Have you simply recirculated the same $50K over that time?
I have to agree that since buying a new truck in 2019 my repair cost have been much lower than when I purchased used late model trucks.
That said, I will hold onto this 2019 until its worn out!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III

B&W Companion

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

I feel foolish for upgrading a 10 year old truck, even though I'm pretty sure I'll need a dually. I can't imagine how I would feel upgrading a 1 year old truck...

There is only one way you can get around inflation ... never buy another new truck. So, although I realize the math doesn't work for most the way it has for me, I still think for those who will some day buy a new truck, the total cost of ownership for those who upgrade more often vs less often isn't terribly different. It does kind of depend on how interest rates affect you.

I upgraded to a 2022 last year from a 2002 with 268k miles that I bought new. My cost of ownership based on price, and repairs is about $0.12 per mile. That doesn't include the money made on investing the amount of a car payment over 20 years.
Granted I don't put many miles on my truck, nor is it used for business where it can be depreciated.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I look at it this way. I have grown to respect your way of buying the next NEW truck hardly after the first oil change is required. Now to think of you possibly buying a USED truck is just shattering my respect for your style!!! :B

Last week we purchased a "used" 2023 Ram 2500 Hemi with ~9k miles so some more shattered respect. We really didn't need it, but the price was good. My wife (she wrote the check) and I picked it up and drove it to the farm. Rides pretty smooth.

What is this RV Community coming to??? Next thing ya know I will be buying Sailun's.

Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama, Continental and Pirelli all have manufacturing plants in China as well, so look closely at what you might buy.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
For as often as you trade, I think getting a '24 makes the most sense. The '23 your about to get will be in a couple months or since the '24's are already out, it already is, a year old (depends on if your going by calender year). You lose one year's deprecation for a couple months worth of use. I personally try never to get a new vehicle within the last six months of the current model year. Since you trade as often as you do, it would seem to be even more important. I ordered a '24 that is supposedly being built (I do have a VIN number now I guess), assuming it comes in December, I will get a full year's use before I depreciate due to model year. I do the same thing with heavy equipment.

I agree itโ€™s nice to get a new vehicle when they first come out as opposed to at the end of the calendar year โ€ฆ especially when the dealer is not offering a big discount. However, In my case, Iโ€™m either going to own a โ€˜22 with 26k miles or a โ€˜23 starting with zero miles that hopefully has a bit of intrinsic value. Iโ€™m thinking the days of these trucks appreciating might be over but which one will depreciate less is hard to say.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:

I feel foolish for upgrading a 10 year old truck, even though I'm pretty sure I'll need a dually. I can't imagine how I would feel upgrading a 1 year old truck...

There is only one way you can get around inflation ... never buy another new truck. So, although I realize the math doesn't work for most the way it has for me, I still think for those who will some day buy a new truck, the total cost of ownership for those who upgrade more often vs less often isn't terribly different. It does kind of depend on how interest rates affect you.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
You had 5 valid reasons for not buying the 2023, then couple posts later, you're back on the bandwagon. Seems to me you've made up your mind (or maybe not).

I think the smoking deal days are done here in the states too. My last good deal was in 2019, and I bought a 2017 Ram 3500, with 15 miles on it, for ~20K off. Had to drive out of state to get it, but was a good deal. Sold my 2014 Ram 2500 for more than I bought it used.

I used to buy my wife a new car every 3 years. 6 years ago I decided to give leasing a try. First lease worked out fine, wasn't a big loss. Second lease, I brought it back and it was worth more than the lease payoff. That rarely happens, but timing was right with all the issues with computer parts etc slowing down inventory. I decided to buy the car vice go another lease route. Not too many people make money (or equity) on leased vehicles.

Mike

Yup 5 good reasons to keep the '22 but:
1. The '23 has the HO Powerstroke
2. The '23 has a 2000 watt inverter
3. The '23 has lane centering
4. The '23 has a side step
5. The '23 has full fold down seats
6. The '23 has has on board scales
7. The '23 is supposed to ride and handle better
8. The '23 is being offered to me at a discount, that, although isn't what it has been, is still pretty good.
9. The '23 has 3 years bumper to bumper warranty ... fresh oil, new tires and a full tank of fuel! And
10. I'm able to get considerably more for my '22 than what I paid for it almost 2 years ago.
B&W Companion

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You had 5 valid reasons for not buying the 2023, then couple posts later, you're back on the bandwagon. Seems to me you've made up your mind (or maybe not).

I think the smoking deal days are done here in the states too. My last good deal was in 2019, and I bought a 2017 Ram 3500, with 15 miles on it, for ~20K off. Had to drive out of state to get it, but was a good deal. Sold my 2014 Ram 2500 for more than I bought it used.

I used to buy my wife a new car every 3 years. 6 years ago I decided to give leasing a try. First lease worked out fine, wasn't a big loss. Second lease, I brought it back and it was worth more than the lease payoff. That rarely happens, but timing was right with all the issues with computer parts etc slowing down inventory. I decided to buy the car vice go another lease route. Not too many people make money (or equity) on leased vehicles.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
^^^ Wow โ€ฆ. Next we are apt to hear Ron is ready to trade that old Goat in for an F350 Super Dually to pull his Elite Suite with.

Just completed the trek south of 1,300 miles and at around 110k on the clock it performed flawlessly towing over 35k combined. Averaged 9mpg double towing. I think the jump to a CURT hitch is more likely.

Oh yea it's long been paid for. But then again it's due for an oil change soon. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ It seems crazy but the truck market really has been crazy for quite a while, especially in Canada. For those of us who use our trucks for business it's especially been good. Partially due to crazy inflation and partially due to the weak Canadian dollar some of us up here in the Great White North have been able to sell our slightly used trucks for more than we pay for them.
B&W Companion

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:

There are a number of things that make me less excited about flipping this time.
1. Iโ€™m not getting the kind of discount I got in the past
2. The order coming in at the end of the year is disappointing
3. I really like my 2022
4. My wife likes the massage seats and the dealer opted to delete the massage seats in order to get the order pulled
5. I actually donโ€™t care for many of the changes theyโ€™ve made to the truck.

Maybe I'm missing something here... if you don't want the one year newer truck, why are you even considering dumping MORE money into a new decpreciating asset?

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ Wow โ€ฆ. Next we are apt to hear Ron is ready to trade that old Goat in for an F350 Super Dually to pull his Elite Suite with.
B&W Companion