cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS Mods

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
The first 2 weeks of owning our new Jay Flight 32 BHDS, I have been pretty busy trying to get it ready for our S. Higgins Lk St Park (Michigan) trip which was this past Wed- today. While I still have a few things I would like to do, I definitely put a good size dent in the list! Lol

I don't have pic of everything as some people have done the same, and/ or didn't take a pic yet.

We bought a Oxygenics shower head. So far it is a nice upgrade over the stock shower head. Also came with an on/off so we don't need to buy one now.

4 hook key rack mounted just below the monitor panel door.

Re-keyed the main door, bathroom door, and pass through locks so all the keys match. Keyed them all to the outdoor kitchen. Only other key needed now is for the outdoor shower which has a very short lock cylinder.

LED puck light under the bathroom cabinet for a night light. May add one or two more for night lights as well.

Shelving in the hall and front bedroom wardrobe. It would be nice if there was at least a shelf option to make this easier! Lol We didn't take a panel (wife didn't think we needed to) from the trailer to match the stain. It turned out fairly close. Do need a led strip light in the wardrobe though. Lights added to the list!

Bedroom Wardrobe

Hall Wardrobe

Hooks on back of bedroom slider doors. All 3 slider doors have 2 sets of hooks.

I moved the water pump "wall" under the sink that protects the pump from "stuff" back for a little more room. Also mounted a plastic bag holder underneath the sink. I would like to get rid of the knife block, but my better half doesn't like the "rv knife block", and not sure what else to do...

Fence post sleeve mod. For when the weather doesn't cooperate we have a large tarp to allow us to still enjoy being outside. One post I have 4- 6' pvc "tent poles" to support the tarp along the sides. One post stores the 7' GPL folding ladder. Last post is for the sewer hose. I have 2- 4" u shaped gutters inside for when the hose needs some support. Inside the bumper we carry our hot dog forks on one side, and the fire tongs and poker on the other side. Due to the weight of the ladder and the pvc poles I mounted the fence post sleeve using Uni Strut. Hopefuly it won't be going anywhere it isn't suppose to!

Bumper mounted clothes line.

Still on the mod list:
Main door step light on it's own circuit and a light at the bathroom door steps. Battery switch to prevent all the draw from killing the battery.
Probably a gel topper for the mattress.
Rear cargo receiver hitch if it ever shows up (on order) for the bikes.
May move the outdoor kitchen fridge a little so the door will fully open allowing removal of the shelves if needed.
Still need to find a place to store the Camp Chef cast iron griddles.

Additional pics in the 32 BHDS Mods link in my signature.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.
13 REPLIES 13

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Finished up the rear jacks and the center jacks as well! I did decide to mount the centers with the 2x2 square tube. Main reason is less extension needed, and less blocking.

Pretty happy with the results so far! Just need to take a trip for the real test....

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
I had decided to add another set of scissor jacks to the middle of the 32, so I ordered a set of 30" BAL scissor jacks to mount at the rear of the trailer, and will move the factory 24" scissor jacks to the middle.

Due to the longer length of the 30" jacks, they would either need to be mounted at an angle, or if mounted "normal" to the trailer frame they would stick out past the trailer side. To solve this issue I mounted 2- 2"x2"X1/8" steel square tube across the frame, using the holes from the factory jacks. Then mounted the 30" jacks inward a few inches so they didn't stick out past the side of the trailer.

I need to pick up a couple more bolts for one of the rear jacks and both middle jacks, and mount the center jacks. I am cnsidering using some of the 2x2 to space the middle jacks down so I don't need as many blocks underneath. If I do it will only be short pieces under each jack. No need to go all the way across the trailer with the 2x2.

I did set the jacks under the middle to see if all this was worth it. It does seem to eliminate a lot of the bounce. I still felt a little movement, but the X-chocks were not installed either.

I went with the 30" for the rear for those campsites that may be sloped a fair amount. Over time I may consider a set of 30" for the fronts as well if I can mount them the same as the rear jacks.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is the optional rear cargo hitch as they call it (if I recall correctly!). If you or know someone who welds, it wouldn't be to hard to duplicate to mount to the tabs at the rear, bottom of frame. Was an option for '15 as well I believe, not sure about it fitting the '14 models. I just don't trust my welding for something like that! Lol

Luckily, even though our driveway slopes down to the street we don't have any clearance issues with the bike rack on. Probably due to the way the bike rack is designed. First time we pulled out of the driveway with the bike rack on I had my wife and boys make sure it would clear!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
So that hitch came from Jayco?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Granite,

Glad to hear you have enjoyed the thread!!! TY very much!!!

TY for the heads up on the possible bike rack issue. After 3 trips, 2 w/ 3 bikes, 1 w/ 4 bikes on the rack, things have been successful.

BUT.... It is not the normal bumper mounted hitch I was waiting for.

Jayco factory rear frame mounted cargo hitch:

Rated for 300lbs, and frame mounted. And this hitch is stout!!!! It is about as heavy as the Curt square tube hitch I put on our '10 Chevy 1500, replacing the factory tin can hitch!!!! We have a tray style bike rack that holds 4 bikes with the "add on kit".

No pic on the trailer, but here is a pic on the back of our 'Nox without the add in kit (2 bikes).

Have the pics in the 32 BHDS Mods link, just hadn't posted them yet. I will try to get a pic next spring with the bike rack on the trailer.

granitebaygeeze
Explorer
Explorer
Greatly enjoyed reading your article. While doing so noticed the desire to mount bikes on the rear bumper. Reason, our son did exactly that and for maybe a year all appeared fine. Then, on their way home from camping the bumper failed, bikes and rack hit the highway.

Learned from every rv and welding repair shop we visited that metal fatigue from the cantilever affect of bikes mounted this way eventually leads to another failure. They recommended mounting the bikes on tow vehicle roof. So after having the bumper replaced hereafter their Yukon xl is the bike hauler.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Need to update another mod!!!

Bought a group 27 battery box and mounted a Blue Sea Mini on/off switch in it. The switch faces the trailer to try to hide it a little. No more need to remove the battery nix too and unhook the battery between trips!!! I am considering mounting a 12v outlet to be able to plug in a compressor or inflator pump if/ when needed.

To prevent the battery from sliding around I cut a 2x8 to take up the space.

Stove,

The boys did get a tv in the bunk room. Can't remember exactly, but I think it is a 19" Curtis, w/ DVD player. We already had it, so tried it and it fits! We just used the base on the tv, no mounting arm. The built in DVD player is not accessible, but we also had a small dvd player we hooked up. When we put the tv in, we had to slide in one end, then the other as the opening is a little smaller than the tv case, but wider than the screen. Slid the tv all the way forward and placed a camco fridge spring bar behind the tv to help secure it. Working so far! Trailer is in storage until spring so I can't get any pics until then, sorry!

Hope that still helps some though!!! If I remember correctly, I think a 22" tv would fit as well, pending the case wasn't to large. Luckily ours worked so we didn't need to buy a new tv!

Fire,

Glad the thread gave you some ideas!!! Any question just ask!!! I will help the best I can.

A lot of the mods we have are ideas from what other members here and on the Jayco forum, among other links posted to other blogs, sites, etc!

So a huge TY to all those who have posted their mods that gave us ideas!!!

And there is still a couple mods to be completed come spring! Lol

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
cool give me some good ideas to do to mine.

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Need-A-Vacation, awesome trailer. Did you put a TV in the bunk room? If so what size fits that space and what kind of mounting arm did you use. Thanks.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
TY!!!

I forgot to mention I do have a standard vent cover for the bathroom vent. Just ran out of time before our trip to install it. Figure it will be nice to leave the vent open when the trailer is stored. Also plan on adding another set of scissor jacks in the middle.

And my better half text saying the rear cargo hitch showed up this morning!!!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Its exciting when you get the bug! Dont forget to buy Max Air covers fro your roof vents so you could keep them open in the rain. I put one with a fan in the bathroom whose fan is quieter than the stock fan. Its better than a match...
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good!