cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

18" vs 20" tires for towing on truck

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody have any input on towing between 18" and 20" rims? I'm getting a new 2500 Silverado and the ones I have to pick from all have 20" rims. I will be towing about 9k on the bumper and maybe a fiver down the road.
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
I just put Michelin Defender LTX M&S e rated tires on my ford in 265/60/20
Max load rating 3195 at 80psi. Got em at Fountain Tire.Gonna run em at 65 loaded and 45 empty on the recommendation of both Fountain and Michelin customer service
Sold the house, time to see the world.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 20 to an 18 with taller sidewalls. Much happier when towing... My 20's were 55 aspect ratio, so they rode hard, and didn't protect the rims on dirt roads at all...
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jus2shy wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

I'd readily pay the extra $100 for the improved handling with the 20". That's peanuts in the big picture of camping expenses.

Now, the BIG drawback IMHO with 18" and 20" is the VERY limited availability of studddless winter tires. I could find no true studdless LRE winter tires in 18" or 20" and NO studable 20" in my size. Some 18" studdables, and Lots of studdless or studable winter tires in 17".

Normally I get an extra set of wheels with winter tires on them. for my 2015, I'm looking for some 17" wheels so I can get studdless winter tires.

KTMRFS, have you looked at the BF Goodrich T/A KO2 or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs or All-Terrain Adventures? All 3 of these tires are branded with the "Mountain Snowflake" symbol, meeting the traction requirements of a winter tire. They are not the typical M+S rating which is pure garbage and just about all modern all-season tires meet that rating. I'm personally looking at getting some KO2's in the spring when my current transfroces are worn-out. I just want a single tire that I don't have to worry about chaining up for in the winter. There's also another the Kumho Venture AT51 and the General Grabber AT 2 that is branded with the mountain snowflake symbol,

thanks for the suggestions. I did a website look and goodrich doesn't make any LRE tires in 265/60-20 according to the website, and goodyear only lists two 265/60-20 tires, neither of which is a winter tire. One is the OEM tire on the truck. Kumhu doesn't list a 265/60-20 tire. Couldn't find any suitable ones on the general site either. 20" LRE in my size are pretty scarce!!

I suspect by next year there will be a bigger selection. Michelin has announced a tire in this size, hopefully by next year either michelin will have a studdless, or bridgestone will have a blizzak that will fit.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

I'd readily pay the extra $100 for the improved handling with the 20". That's peanuts in the big picture of camping expenses.

Now, the BIG drawback IMHO with 18" and 20" is the VERY limited availability of studddless winter tires. I could find no true studdless LRE winter tires in 18" or 20" and NO studable 20" in my size. Some 18" studdables, and Lots of studdless or studable winter tires in 17".

Normally I get an extra set of wheels with winter tires on them. for my 2015, I'm looking for some 17" wheels so I can get studdless winter tires.

KTMRFS, have you looked at the BF Goodrich T/A KO2 or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs or All-Terrain Adventures? All 3 of these tires are branded with the "Mountain Snowflake" symbol, meeting the traction requirements of a winter tire. They are not the typical M+S rating which is pure garbage and just about all modern all-season tires meet that rating. I'm personally looking at getting some KO2's in the spring when my current transfroces are worn-out. I just want a single tire that I don't have to worry about chaining up for in the winter. There's also another the Kumho Venture AT51 and the General Grabber AT 2 that is branded with the mountain snowflake symbol,
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The 18" rims should be able to support a heavy duty tire, while the 20" 'Bling' rims are not real truck tires, and nobody makes a LT Light Truck tire for them.

Good luck,

Fred.

Pure BS!!!! I have 20" on my 2500 duramax. the 20" tires have a HIGHER load rating than the 18".

While the new '15 HD's may be different, for the HD's up to '14, the 18" tires actually had about 300lbs higher payload than the 20". Not that 300lbs is a huge difference... This was the reason the 20's were not available on the 3500HD SRW.

I have considered switching to the 18's for the tire selection, BUT.... the 20" tire options ARE getting better!!! Part of the issue is the GMT 900 is not the best for allowing slightly bigger tires without a lift.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
SprinklerMan wrote:
See how much replacements cost .

At Tirerack.com
Firestone TransForce AT
275/70/18 3640lbs 33.2 dia $213.41
285/60/20 3640lbs 33.4 dia $237.28
$23.87x4=$95.48

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's all smoke and mirrors.

I did a lot of towing at one time with 15 inch on a 1/2 ton, or on a 3/4 ton 16 inch or 16.5 inch wheels. The bigger wheels are mostly just for styling.

But, that being said, you can get a bigger brake disk under a bigger wheel. That makes for more stopping power. I certainly would not want a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a heavy load with a 15 inch wheel.

Just another way to make things more difficult so you can't interchange wheels anymore. There was a time when you could take a wheel from any pickup manufacture and put in on any other pickup manufactures truck. Those days are, sadly, past.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:

At Tirerack.com
Firestone TransForce AT
275/70/18 3640lbs 33.2 dia $213.41
285/60/20 3640lbs 33.4 dia $237.28
$23.87x4=$95.48

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The 18" rims should be able to support a heavy duty tire, while the 20" 'Bling' rims are not real truck tires, and nobody makes a LT Light Truck tire for them.

Good luck,

Fred.

Pure BS!!!! I have 20" on my 2500 duramax. the 20" tires have a HIGHER load rating than the 18" . And while there aren't a great deal of mfg there are PLENTY of mfg with a 20" LRE tire with 3,000+ lb load rating.

As for my experience, the 20" give better handling than the previous truck with 16". less sidewall flex and more responsive and so far towing, I'd say they are equal to small rims.

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 2500HD started with 18" and I needed some bling..my American racing wheels 20x9 are rated at 3600 lbs ea. and my Toyo Open country 295/60/20 AT are E rated and tows are 30' Outback bumper pull without any issues. Sometimes with a Harley in the bed. I have used my sons 2014 HD twice and he has factory tire setup currently and can tell little to no difference in ride or towing ability.
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I would worry about the ride a 20" delivers over an 18" or less.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15 Denalli with 20 inch tires. No problemo, except that it sits a tad higher than my 01 Duramax and took a little getting used too.Its so quiet hardly believe its an oil burner.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

If you look at the 1930's style model A tires, they are like motorcycle tires, with very little distance between the road and rim, leaving a very bumpy ride. Also check those 20" 'Bling' tires, they have very little space between the road and rim, so a deep pothole can cause the rim to pinch the tire rubber, and blow out the tire nearly instantly! Also the tire does not have 3" of rubber to eliminate vibration and road bumps nearly as well as say a 235/85R16" rim with 5" of rubber between the road and rim!

I have a friend with a 1970's Charger, and it can take the speed bumps! At say 35 MPH and just float over the speed bumps! Much better than a pickup, or anything else with stiff suspensions. This is in part due to the 'balloon' tires, and their ability to absorb the shock, and not transmit much of it to the car.

I would be looking for a truck without the bling. Tell the dealership that you would buy the (pick your color) but it comes with 20" rims that are not acceptable, and you are going to the other dealership to check truck selection. I am sure that the service department can change 'this truck's 20" rims to that truck's 18" light truck rims in a few minutes, if you wanted that truck. Make sure that they also take that 'extra price' off the list price of the truck you buy. ..

Also if you will be looking at fifth wheels in the next few years, you probably will not want to replace your 2500 pickup with a 3500 pickup then. So check out a few fifth wheels now, and pick up a brochure. Pick the pickup with enough cargo rating to handle 'your' fifth wheel this year, or you might not be able to buy that fifth wheel in a few years, due to needing to upgrade trucks at the same time!

Most 12,000 pound fifth wheels will have a 2,400 pound pin weight, give or take 600 pounds! So a 2500 pickup with a 2,800 pound cargo rating will not do. Of that 2,800 pound rating, you must subtract all the passengers, 100 pounds - 150 pounds for the fifth wheel hitch, and still have 2,400 pounds left to carry the pin weight. That just will not add up.

Check the weight rating of a 3500 pickup too. You should see it rated at around 1,000 pounds more than a 2500 pickup, even if it costs $865 more! But it will save replacing it in a few years, saving thousands!

Good luck,

Fred.

atreis wrote:

x2 to what Golden_HVAC said. The 20" rims are for style, not practical use. That rubber is there for a reason.

Friends, it's time to update your information on tires. Yes there are 20" "Bling" rims and tires produced, but there are 18" Bling rims produced as well (having less than 3000 lbs of load capacity). However, there are plenty of HD rims in those sizes produced. It only takes 1 "LT" tire size to prove your assertion false. JIMNLIN is spot-on. Ford uses a 275/65R20 LT tires for many of their brand new superduties that have just under 3,800 lbs of weight carrying capacity per tire. RAM utilizes a 285/60R20 tire for their "Bling" trucks that has just under 3,700 lbs of capacity per tire. You can also purchase 285/65R20 tires that are slightly taller with just under 3,900 lbs of weight carrying capacity per tire.

Really, the only true advantages that an 18" wheel tire has over a 20" wheel tire are price and ride. 20" tires are pricey per unit. I can get an equivalent size in 18" far more easily. 18" tires also have a taller sidewall profile for a given diameter. This means you can absorb potholes and road irregularities better and transmit less to the suspension and cab. However, having 20" tires give a shorter and stiffer side wall for the same diameter. So you get less squirm and you have sharper steering response as well. But you will have an overall rougher ride.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)