cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1970 Avion motorhome

oneofakind
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1970 Avion motorhome! It sits on a 1970 FORD E300. 68,000 miles. What a beauty. We have never seen or heard of another like it still in operation. Our's is all original except for the fridge. We still camp with it and it is still mobile.
16 REPLIES 16

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
That 1979 Fleetwood Avion Class A looks really nice. The Fleetwood models had wider spacing on the rivets, but overall, they were very well built units. Without Fleetwood buying the Avion brand, the production would have stopped long before 1990. The main problem with the motorhome version is that there is another running gear that a person would have to maintain. A nice pickup with a 32' or 34' Avion trailer and you can have a real nice rig for a very reasonable price.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
Cayo Class-C

Did you try the link to the Cayo units? I think that are the ones you are referring to.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
1985air345 wrote:
Here are some pictures of Avion and Cayo Class-C motorhomes.

Avion Class-C
Cayo Class-C

When it comes to Class-A motohomes, I only know of a prototype unit.
1979 Avion Class A

There are also units from GMC with interior by Avion.

Those have the Avion name but made by Fleetwood after they bought the company in the early 70's . The construction was very different . The early Cayo class C looked similar to the Avion/Cayo truck camper .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pictures of Avion and Cayo Class-C motorhomes.

Avion Class-C
Cayo Class-C

When it comes to Class-A motohomes, I only know of a prototype unit.
1979 Avion Class A

There are also units from GMC with interior by Avion.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I now remember there was a mention of the Motorvator at some point. It looks like a very big idea. I imagine that the OP has had a great time.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking motorhome. They are shown in the "Silver Avions and Cayos " book.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
oneofakind wrote:
We have a 1970 Avion motorhome! It sits on a 1970 FORD E300. 68,000 miles. What a beauty. We have never seen or heard of another like it still in operation. Our's is all original except for the fridge. We still camp with it and it is still mobile.

I have seen pictures of them but nothing in person . I was under the impression that they had the CAYO label not Avion , they were produced about the time the company split and Robert Cayo took over the truck camper division . They were called the MOTORVATOR . Post some pictures , there were very few of them .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
Its a "motorhome"? But it sits on a truck? Please put up some photos. Looking forwards to seeing it.

I think the OP means it sits on an E300 chassis.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Don't know why your googling did not work. I got a bunch of hits. Google "Avion motorhome".

This is a picture that I found of a 1978 Dodge based RV.

It's for sale too. http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/rvs/3985083971.html

The E-300 is a van based chassis, same as the E-350 in later years. But it is a very early version of the Econoline van. Back then, the largest V8 was teh 302, and popular engine is the 250 and 300 cubic inch inline 6, and some came with a 3 on the tree manual transmission. By 1975, the new Econoline design required automatic transmission, and the common engines where 302, 351 and 460" V8 as well as a minor production of the inline 6 that was 300 cubic inch.

There is a 1970 - 74 Ford Econoline motorhome parked on 202nd St, near where I live. IT has single rearwheels, so GVWR must be below 9.600 pounds.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I missed the truck campers in the "Avion Motorhomes". Could you share your Googling on truck campers? You know, the versatile slide in camper that fits into a truck bed.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why your googling did not work. I got a bunch of hits. Google "Avion motorhome".
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a "motorhome"? But it sits on a truck? Please put up some photos. Looking forwards to seeing it.