cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I know what you mean. I made a drawing and took pictures and still lost a couple of hours today scratching my head over a place or two. BTW-I installed the first new wood today. Not much progress, I got home from work late and had to make an extra trip to the home improvement store. I posted a couple pictures on a new page on the blog. -Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
Sweet Tater wrote:
Hey Carey, whats the measurement just inside the door from the wall at the snap and nap to the small wall under the wing?

Sweet Tater, I measure 27" even.

thank you Carey, just double checking, I have to guess alot of my measurements.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet Tater wrote:
Hey Carey, whats the measurement just inside the door from the wall at the snap and nap to the small wall under the wing?

Sweet Tater, I measure 27" even.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
Just a bump to let everyone know that I've posted more pictures on the blog. Carey

I was wondering, thought you might have gave up lol

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those things are just so darned cool. They do need to be restored! And I'm so glad someone else is doing it. ๐Ÿ˜›

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bump to let everyone know that I've posted more pictures on the blog. Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
rabenfels wrote:
Many fond memories of our Amerigo. Our 3 kids grew up in ours. Had to lift the back with special set up to the HD truck bumper since it was sagging - water had come into the roof via the swamp cooler previous owners had installed. Eventually had to give this one up being too dangerous - afraid we would lose the rear end with the fold out section. I will follow this re-build project with great interest. I liked our Amerigo very much. The big window was a blast for the kids to lay up there and watch the world go by. Good luck and, please, post many photos!

I plan to post all the photos I can as I go. You can keep up with the progress on my blog linked through my sig.
on edit: Or Here
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

rabenfels
Explorer
Explorer
Many fond memories of our Amerigo. Our 3 kids grew up in ours. Had to lift the back with special set up to the HD truck bumper since it was sagging - water had come into the roof via the swamp cooler previous owners had installed. Eventually had to give this one up being too dangerous - afraid we would lose the rear end with the fold out section. I will follow this re-build project with great interest. I liked our Amerigo very much. The big window was a blast for the kids to lay up there and watch the world go by. Good luck and, please, post many photos!

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
HudsonValleyRog wrote:

I have a dozen pics or so of it on my computer, but I don't see any option to attach them here. I'm assuming I need to accrue a certain number of posts before I get that privilege...?

What Tater said is correct, but maybe I can add a little to it. There is a FAQ in the "Forum Help and Support" at the top of the TC page that you should check as well. Process your pictures so that they are 640x480 (or 480x640 depending on vertical or horizontal). Then open two windows, one for photobucket and one where you are posting on this site. First, use photobucket to navigate to your picture on your computer and upload it to photobucket. Then, after you have written your post, go to photobucket and drop your cursor on the picture that you want to post. Lower the cursor to the "IMG code" and click on it. That will save the photo. Now, go back to the other window from the truck camper forum, where you are writing your text, and place your cursor where you want the picture to appear and paste it.

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
Thanks, guys!

I have a dozen pics or so of it on my computer, but I don't see any option to attach them here. I'm assuming I need to accrue a certain number of posts before I get that privilege...?

you need to upload them to photobucket or some picture place, then use the advanced option for posting and theres a button to place a link to your pics

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
2cknights wrote:
I'm afraid that if I try the sawzall, I'll cut the fiberglass top.

you will, been there done that, one of my senior moments

2cknights wrote:
I'm thinking of cutting 2X4s with an arc to replace the rafters to make them thicker in the middle and replacing the roof plywood with 3/8, so that I can walk around up there.

I am thinking the same thing, my roof sags in the middle really bad,and theres a big gap between the rafters and the fiberglass.

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, guys!

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
All kidding aside, I'm having a ball with this thing. I guess I need to name her, because she's the only date I've had in a while. I spent the better part of the afternoon with her today. The P.O (wish I could find appropriate words to go with those)has just added layers to cover damage instead of repairing the damage and fixing the leaks. There is an extra 1/2" floor over the original that has had two different layers of vinyl flooring laid over top. I'm having to scrape that off to get at the screws so that I can take it up. I may need to get it out of the way before I can remove the shower. Bought a Dremel Multi Max to use to cut the screws holding the rafter/joists to the top 2X6 band. I'm afraid that if I try the sawzall, I'll cut the fiberglass top. This thing seems to work just fine, and can't reach all the way through. I'm thinking of cutting 2X4s with an arc to replace the rafters to make them thicker in the middle and replacing the roof plywood with 3/8, so that I can walk around up there. Any thoughts on that? I know that the more I add the more weight I have to pack around, but I'm willing to sacrafice a little here and there. BTW congrats on your purchase Rog.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet Tater wrote:
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
I'm going to look at a 72' Amerigo (side door with Snap n Nap) tomorrow! I have been reading up on these babies for a while now. I have no idea if there is any water damage yet...and probably won't unless i ripped it apart, correct? From what I've seen online with the restos, I EXPECT it to have water damage to a certain degree...but I ain't skeert'. ?

I am a home improvement contractor by trade, and am eager to do a project like this this winter. Fortunately, I have a very large heated shop with ample room and knowing me, will really tear this thing apart and go nuts with it.

I guess i am already posting as if I've bought it...lol. Won't know until tomorrow. His price is $700. Stay tuned! This n00b is looking forward to learning and (hopefully) giving as well on this great website!

Be Skeered, be very skeered lol,

X2
Old rig '99 Lance 1130