cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1987 nomad 2440 NEED HELP!

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
I am a complete newbie. I just acquired a 1987 Skyline Nomad model 2440. This is my first travel trailer. I am trying to find a service manual for it and i cant seem to locate one. I called Skyline and they said they dont carry them. I want to know the ins and outs of my trailer.

Like- when im plugged into 120v does it charge my batteries

or- when im not plugged in will my tv still work if it is plugged into a 120v

the electrical is my main concern.

how long will 2 marine batteries last

PLEASE HELP!
4 REPLIES 4

87nomaderwhat
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you guys are awesome replying so fast. I appreciate it any other advice is welcomed

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
A quick check you could do is look in the AC breaker panel for a breaker labelled something like "charger"...My '96 Mallard has a breaker in the panel for the battery charger, so it's listed there.

As for 120V without having AC hooked up, that's anybody's guess. I've never had a camping unit (TT or otherwise) that had an inverter built in, so my working theory is it's not a popular option.
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
You may be out of luck on a service manual for a trailer that old. I suggest you buy or borrow a multimeter and hit up YouTube for videos on using one. You can check your battery's standing and charging voltage as well as your 120V receptacles with a multimeter. As for battery life it depends on the age of the batteries and the amount you are drawing from them.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It will be tough to find an owners manual.

Your best bet is to find a long time RVer that is willing to help you out.

Next best is to go to a local RV Repair and offer to buy them Pizza if they would walk you through some stuff.

Unless you can find a device in one of your storage compartments that is marked as a charger/converter or charger/inverter you will need to carry a battery charger to charge your batteries if 110V AC is available. Or a generator with a 12v charger. Or charge from your tow vehicle.

We had an older Nomad same size and were able to go two to three days on two batteries. That is being conservative with lights (use flashlights and lanterns) running the refrigerator on propane and no long showers. We did have a small 12v TV with vcr. Eventually we bought a 1000 watt Honda Generator, it would allow us to stretch out our stays longer, 5 to 7 days until we needed water or to dump holding tanks.