cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 types of T.T.s

Joebear_movie_l
Explorer
Explorer
Is this what I have to look forward to? 1.A TT that is leaking orrrr 2.a TT that will leak!!!:E Thank You all for your messages. I started my RV research just over 2 months ago. I'll be buying in 3 years. I've decided on buying a TT that is 3 years old, so I'm looking at all the 2013 TTs that fit my likes. I've been to each of the TT's manufactures web sites and wrote in a notebook all that interest me. I've been on RVT.com and looked up all the TTs that suit my desires. I've rated each TT accordingly to visual/floorplan scrutiny. What I have come up with so far in consideration is: Artic Fox (Northwood), Open Range RVs or Outdoors Rvs. Any comments? Thanks: Woodglue,lbl1206,Highway 4x4,goducks10,doug33,Gdetrailer,Mr.Camper,dbbls,Canyou-Cruiser,CloneFan,path1 and especially Myredracer.:W
:C
13 REPLIES 13

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
How about houses? Same problem, they can leak too. Just not quite as easily, but between my recent water heater leak and my DD's storm induced roof leak this week, I'm starting to wonder.

Houses unlike RVs typically stay put in ONE location once they are built. House roof construction is considerably different, RV roofs are sort of like using a rubber rain cap and I for one would NOT want a RV roof on my house...

RVs really get bent out of shape while traveling at 70 MPH for thousands of miles a year down the road, the flexing, bending, shaking makes it difficult to keep a RV from leaking.

RV walls and roof along with the frame are designed to take a considerable amount of movement and flexing and tend to be made with lighter construction with 2x2 and 2x1 walls.

Homes on the other hand typically built with not moving in mind and the construction is more rigid with 2x4 or even 2x6 wall studs.

Where RVs and homes are similar is water line leaks INSIDE, it does happen but generally not all that often (don't get me started on home water heaters that I have had to change every few years).

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
How about houses? Same problem, they can leak too. Just not quite as easily, but between my recent water heater leak and my DD's storm induced roof leak this week, I'm starting to wonder.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have a plan.

The take away point folks should get is to not sweat the brand names, quality varies greatly for construction and materials even in the supposed "best" brands.

Quality really comes down to ones opinion, what is perfect for one person may in fact be a lemon for another.

If one FAILS to do some periodic maintenance, one will ultimately pay the price in leaks.

The end goal though is to find a trailer which has a floor plan, decor and such which matches your taste.

Hopefully in the end your family will have great memories of their short time spent together while "camping" and not let the small things in life (leaks, broken or non working items) dampen your time together.

We still have a good chuckle over our first time camping after rebuilding our first trailer. Picture road tired travelers stopping to sleep overnight and a heavy thunderstorm finds a spot in the roof that I missed and water drips out of the new ceiling and light fixture which was directly above our bed... It wasn't funny at the time but later we realized that it is just part of life..

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Hey I made the list:) I hate list's. Anyway are you talking water line leaks or exterior caulking leak's. Maintenance is the key to exterior leaks. Not much you can do about interior leaks in water pipes. You can crawl around and check fittings for tightness but in the end they will leak when they leak.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome!

I also think you might add Lance to your list. Even if it did leak, you won't have any kinds of problems as you would with a luaun built trailer w/ formcore insulation! You also won't experience the delamination issues either.

X6 on what everyone else said. Do your routine maintenance and you'll be good to go!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

cpaharley2008
Explorer
Explorer
You can always buy a molded fiberglass trailer, like Casita, Scamp or Escape and not worry about leaks but instead worry about where you are going to be camping next.
2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT made in 1964 and it does not leak. ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree that a little maintenance goes a long way.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it should be crystal clear, which kind of TT you end up with will depend on what kind of owner you are. If you do the every 6 month inspections of the roof and joints, adress issues as they arrise instead of waiting until they are made more obvious by more significant water damage, you can be in the third group. All it takes is a ladder, a caulking gun, a quart of dicor self leveling and a couple afternoons a year. Pay me now or pay me later. Good luck in finding the perfect camper for you ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have had 5 TTs and 1 5er over the years and have never had a leak in any of them.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Preventive maintenance is a great Preventative.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We had our last Forest River for 7 years. I washed the roof 3 times and recalked it once, Never had a leak. We have had this one 2 years and no leak yet. There must be 3 types of TT, your two kinds and ones that don't leak too.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Yep preventative maintenance. As soon as you stop doing it the TT will begin leaking.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan for sure...

Except, we have had 4 different TT's and not one of them has leaked.
It really isn't an automatic...maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. (the preventive kind)

Good luck with your quest.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro