cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 women travelers and RV newbies totally confused!

Glamazon
Explorer
Explorer
My brain is about to explode! Me and my partner are going to buy a RV. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer. For the most part it will just be the 2 of us doing weekend/vacation travel. We are trying to find the right trailer, but there are just so many to choose from.

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

We will for the most part travel just the two of us. I don't need a bunch of bunks, but I'd prefer some extra bathroom and kitchen space and comfortable seating .

We have a Harley we'd like to take a long. I see several different options for hauling motorcycles..what's the easiest and cheapest option?

Anyone have any recommendations or favorite brands you'd think would suit our needs? I had been looking at Keystone and Dutchmen? But seriously, we haven't got a clue in hell what we're doing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

parsonwalker
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Sorry but I don't get wher a lot of strength is neded for hoking op a FW, al that is kneaded is pulling a handle and pushing a button for leveling, they do have more steps to climb.

Whenever a man tells you it's easy and doesn't take any strength, just remember, they are men and naturally have more strength than a woman. Can their mother or grandmother do it? Probably not, and neither can I. A man 6'0", weighing 225 lbs. has infinitely more strength than a woman 5'1", weighing 100 pounds.

Get out there and actually TRY it. Ask the dealer to let you try before you fly. They won't do it? Shop elsewhere. It is a LOT of work, whether you have MH, FW, TT. And that's inside prep and outside prep and then hitching up. You have to do something with everything that is going to bounce off the walls, floor and ceiling as you go down the road. All those cables, cords, wood blocks, chairs, tables, bicycles, coolers, everything outside has to be stowed and secured safely. By the time you are ready to back the truck up and hitch up, you will have been at it for several hours and then some, even with two of you. And with a FW, you will be climbing in and out of the truck bed.

When I full-timed for 15 months I asked people (men) that had FWs about the feasibility for me to do a FW. And most were people that knew me and saw me around the park and witnessed what I could do easily and things I struggled with or just had to get someone else to do. All of them felt a FW would be way too much for me. The woman in the space in front of me had a FW. Her son would come and do the outside prep and the hitch her up. When she got back, he would unhitch her set the outside up. I finally asked her why she didn't do it. She explained it was not only all the work outside but the hitching up. She just couldn't do it. She is five years older and outweighs me by 65 pounds and has 9 inches on me in height. I knew then a FW would be too much for me.

Once you decide on the make and model, take a real good look at the options available from the manufacturer. Are there any that are deal breakers for you? For me it was the 2nd AC in the bedroom. Couldn't be added aftermarket due to requiring going from 30 Amp to 50 Amp. Salesman told me I would be fine without it. Salem, Oregon in the month of May. Unusually hot weather hit, no shade and that second AC was going full blast. If there is a deal breaker in the options available, then order your RV and don't forget about the "nice-to-haves". They can make it easier for you on the road and in the park.

Also look at aftermarket add-ons. The first thing on your list should be having a surge suppressor installed before you even take delivery. This can be rolled into the loan, as can any add-ons. Power surges and power spikes happen all the time, even at newer parks. I had been in my TT for 3 weeks and a power surge hit me during the night. Fortunately all of my electronics were plugged into a battery backup/surge suppressor. The alarm on it was going when I got up. Part of the case melted and I was looking at the insides of it. I was very lucky a fire did not happen. The smoke detector had not been prepped during the dealer prep and wasn't working. What else got fried? The microwave (warranty), the space heater (warranty), touch control lamp (was being replaced anyway), alarm clock (was being replaced anyway), power strip to entertainment center. How much did it cost me? Under $50. What could it have cost me? Thousands. Laptop $3,000, printer $200, Kindle Fire $499, Dyson Animal 45 Cordless vacuum, $399, table top shredder $25, Smart phone $250, pay as you go phone $50, second touch lamp $29, TV $500, roof top satellite dish $1,600, bedroom lamp $45, air pump for Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed $400. And if there had been a fire, it could have cost me the ultimate – my life.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
bfast54 wrote:
Interesting the off the wall post,that says a 5er is harder to hook up:h

Now,when I pull a 5er.....I drop tailgate,....back truck near pin.....set height....back up....pin sets in hitch,crank,lift legs....drive away....(after pull test that is)........Golly,you are right.....that is MUCH harder than a T.T.:S

Dont get me wrong....they still need to try all options,before they buy.:)

Wonder how hitching a fifth wheel is harder? :h When we had our fifth wheel, I could hitch up myself because I could SEE the hitch. Now, the wife guides me back and if the stars align, I position the truck in one attempt! :B I do miss that aspect of fifth wheel vs travel trailer.............

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting the off the wall post,that says a 5er is harder to hook up:h

... I haul trailers all over the country.........for a "bumper pull".....I E travel trailer.....I have to put in the huge hitch, that I remove so I dont bust a shin,when not towing...then try to match up hitch,and ball, which you cant see,so,many tries to get in right spot,even with spotter....get right height, crank down...power or manual,then wrestle with weight bars, but some also use equalizing/sway bars.....set them for proper hieght,weight,level

Now,when I pull a 5er.....I drop tailgate,....back truck near pin.....set height....back up....pin sets in hitch,crank,lift legs....drive away....(after pull test that is)........Golly,you are right.....that is MUCH harder than a T.T.:S

Dont get me wrong....they still need to try all options,before they buy.:)
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting set of parameters: you already have a very capable tow vehicle in your F-350, you have already decided you want a trailer but want one that is easy to hitch and unhitch, you want one with comfortable seating which means to me that you want more than just a dinette for seating, and you want to bring your Harley along.

I think there is some "mutual exclusiveness" going on with your "wants". With the F350, if you chose a lightweight trailer such as one of the smaller Lances such as the 1685, you probably wouldn't even need a weight distribution hitch which would make hitching and unhitching much easier. However, to get the comfortable seating you want means getting a trailer with an overall length approaching 30', which would require a weight distribution hitch.

The easiest way to bring your Harley along, I think, is to bring it on its own motorcycle trailer. Obviously can't do that if you are towing a travel trailer. Perhaps a system that loads your Harley up into the pickup bed, such as this AmeriDeck loader

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

pointbrze
Explorer
Explorer
Took me two years to find my first trailer, and that was a Hybrid. I have now graduated up to a TT, which is a lot longer than the hybrid. I, too, didn't want that much space, but when I have visitors, they have a place to sleep. I went to RV show after RV show and actually stood in the bathtub/showers to make sure I fit. I had my list in hand when I went to the dealer, however, if you are an educated consumer, you can find good deals on-line. I bought mine from my neighbor, so it worked out for me. Read, read, and then read some more. Ask questions here, very helpful group! (they've helped me numerous times).
Me - Cindy
Sonny (Toy Poodle)
CoCo (LhasaPoo)

2010 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2501SS
2007 Tundra V8, 5.7L, P2 brake controller

Ray552
Explorer
Explorer
With a TT get an electric jack for it. Makes it easy to hook up. Also get your self some tennis balls on an antenna to help getting your self lined up.

There are lots of options. Take some time and do lots of looking. Nothing wrong or right about any of the choices.

Glamazon
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a big dealer today to look around at the floor plans. The RV sales woman didn't seem to know much about the mechanics of it. She was too busy insisting we shouldn't worry about going too big. lol We do have a better idea about what we want in a floor plan and what lines we find more appealing. Will try to see if we can talk to one of the guys in the shop next visit.

Have gotten so many opinions from RV-ers we know. Her brother with a motor home thinks we should get a motor home..her other brother with a trailer thinks we need a trailer. The guy across the street says we need a fifth wheel. They all are light rv-ers so I thought I'd investigate these forums for more advice.

We are both fit and 40 so we have no issues with climbing...or arthritis and such. We've always loved camping in her brother's Motor Home but definitely don't need that size and fuel expense. I appreciate the feedback immensely! So excited!

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
You are doing the right thing by researching the subject before buying. I think that the FW is easier to hook up than the trailer with the WDH, but I would still get the TT because I don't want to have the hitch in the truck bed. If you are set on bringing a Harley, I would seriously consider a Toy Hauler because a Harley is heavy.
Good luck in your decision.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but I don't get wher a lot of strength is neded for hoking op a FW, al that is kneaded is pulling a handle and pushing a button for leveling, they do have more steps to climb.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

parsonwalker
Explorer
Explorer
I am a rather small woman (under 5'1"), barely weigh 100 pounds, and 61 years young. I am not real strong and have weak, woosy hands. I also have arthritis in both knees, and both hips along with bursitis both hips. I spoke with two different dealers on type of towable best suited for me. Both agreed that a travel trailer would be best. A fifth wheel takes a lot to hitch up and unhitch. A lot of strength and a lot of climbing. In speaking with couples that own fifth wheels, they all say the same thing - given my situation, a travel trailer is best for me. Consider your age, your current health concerns and what you will likely be looking at down the road for you health. I did a LOT of research and looking online, RV shows, and dealers. I full-timed for 15 months in an 18ft TT cheapie in the same RV park. I checked out every rig that pulled in, asked a million questions, did a ton of listening and made notes.

Ideally, you buy your RV first, then buy what is going to tow it. Nothing worse than going over Pike's Peak and finding out the hard way you don't have enough truck to tow what's behind you. Better to have too much truck and not need it, than to have too little truck and desperately need more! Since you already have a truck, ask ask ask if your truck can easily tow what you are considering. And don't just ask the salesman. His job is to sell. Go to a large RV repair facility and talk to their service department. Guarantee they have seen everything.

Search online for hauling your bike. There are a lot of options and configurations. Will your bike fit into the bed of your truck (with tailgate closed or open)? Also check out the requirements/limitations for the state you will be registered in. There is one bike hauler that "attaches" to the towing vehicle and "becomes" part of the towing vehicle. Oregon considers this to be double towing and will issue a ticket and you will have to be towed off the road and park it.

So what did I finally choose? I have a 2013 Ram 3500 Chassis Crew Cab DRW Cummins 6.7L Diesel 2 410s with a flatbed (instead of truck bed), a Mountain Master trike loader (mountainmaster.net) on the flatbed that on/offloads on the passenger side (don't have to unhitch) and a 2013 Jayco Eagle 316RKDS 34' TT. What's going to be on the trike loader? Original Scooter Company Stella Scooter with a sidecar tricked out for my Jack Russell Terrier service dog. Saving my pennies for it.

Do your research and take your time. Don't let a salesman pressure you into buying something that is not well suited for you - even if it sounds like a really great deal. Once they have your money, you are out the door and they aren't going to care that what you bought really doesn't do it for you.

Best of luck to you. Keep on truckin' down the highway of life with your face turned up to the sun, sistahs!

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Glamazon wrote:

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

Nah, just remember to lift with your legs....JK. You can get electric jacks that take no effort at all.

Glamazon wrote:
I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer.

Since it's a SD, I'm guessing that your F-350 is pretty new and since you posted in TT's, I'd assume that you don't want a Cl. A or C. As others have said, a toyhauler would be the best way to take the H-D, either a bumper pull or 5th wheel. Unless you're looking at some 38-40' monstrosity, that F-350 shouldn't have a problem towing either version.

As for brands, I'm pretty convinced that all are equally bad. Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the construction and QC of these things leaves a lot to be desired. For this reason, I'd look at used units, where the original owners dealt with all the "punch list" problems. Obviously you'll have to be concerned that you're not buying someone else's problem, but my Komfort leaked from an unsealed seam since the day it was new, I don't know how you'd find that out until it happens. Add to that the initial devaluation, buying used makes more sense to me.
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Back to the "could 2 women do this" issue:

Two of anything, if well-trained in communication, can do it. One person alone can do it, but adaptations are required.

Even before you buy an RV, you two might practice having the driver back the truck up to a spot which the driver cannot see while receiving directions from the non-driver. If this goes smoothly, this will build confidence.

It's best for the driver to tell the non-d what type of directions are needed. If non-d appears to be untrainable in this regard (I have observed lots of these), you'll have problems.

Perhaps a graceful request to non-d that you'd like to try it yourself first, sans director? Get out, walk back there and look and where you want to end up, put out a marker (or note to self like "my door needs to be next to that post"), get in the cab, and do it. Then reverse roles. I really think that both people need to know how to do both roles.

Best wishes for your RV future.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that whatever people recommend is by and large what they have.
I have read over and over here that fifth wheels are the easiest to back up. Camping this spring we sat in roads at campgrounds while fifth wheels were backed up over and over again, 14 times in one case with long lines of people waiting to dive thru.

napadan
Explorer
Explorer
A class C and a small trailer for the Harley would probably be the easiest solution. (Unless you already had the tow vehicle.) Lots easier to set up.

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
General overall suggestions - NOT trailer type suggestions!!

Kick LOTS of tires and go through LOTS of types and floor plans. Ask LOTS of questions. Play dump with each salesperson. You will very soon be able to tell which ones are flying by the seat of their pants and feeding you bs!! Remember, most salespeople are only trying to make the sale and a living, so will say just about anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Don't rush into a decision. Remember, there are more units for sale and sellers out there than there are buyers.

After each visit on a unit or make, come back here and ask questions. Remember, the answers here will generally favor the brand, make, floor plan or type that they/we have!! Only human nature! But you will get some very good practical information.

There are pros and cons to every type of rig. You have to determine what features are the most important to you and which ones you can overlook.

LOTS of women are out there traveling. Venture forth and enjoy your travels!!
Ron & Carolyn
Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier
Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ.
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels