cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20" TV Tires

Billstar1
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought a new Chev Silvarado 1500 with 20" Goodyear Eagle tires. When doing a little research on the tires, which I wish I had done before buying the truck, found out they're passenger car tires. I'm a little dubious about towing with them. I'm not having much luck finding a rated 20" tire, either "D" or "E". Anyone know of such tires? BTW, the truck has the 5.3, 3.42 re-end and HD tow package. Tows my Jayco Whire Hawk 30 DSRE pretty darn good.

THANKS
BillStar1
Bandera, Texas
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
2015 Chev Silverado LT H/D - 6.0 Gasser
4-Point Equalizer Hitch
23 REPLIES 23

Clamon4
Explorer
Explorer
I had te same concerns with my Avalanche. I went with 285/60r20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Great tires no matter what the weather. I went to the local Discount Tire and explained my concerns, the Manager did the research and discounted the tires cause I am a loyal customer

Billstar1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone - looks like I might be OK. That's whi I like this forum - almost alway get great information......

Lizze: I'll take a look a the Coopers.
BillStar1
Bandera, Texas
2013 White Hawk 30DSRE
2015 Chev Silverado LT H/D - 6.0 Gasser
4-Point Equalizer Hitch

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We have the GMC Sierra w/ 20" tires. We put new Cooper's on for our trip to Alaska but had trouble finding rims for a extra spare (the factory spare was only 17"). We took our two best take-offs with us and stayed on the internet looking for rims. Bought two rims in Anchorage and had our spares mounted. We towed just under 15,000 miles on some very bad roads.Had no problems. lizzie

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
berniross wrote:
My Silverado 2500HD came with Goodyear Wrangler M/S load rang E.

Two very different trucks ....
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Billstar1 wrote:
Just brought a new Chev Silvarado 1500 with 20" Goodyear Eagle tires. When doing a little research on the tires, which I wish I had done before buying the truck, found out they're passenger car tires. I'm a little dubious about towing with them. I'm not having much luck finding a rated 20" tire, either "D" or "E". Anyone know of such tires? BTW, the truck has the 5.3, 3.42 re-end and HD tow package. Tows my Jayco Whire Hawk 30 DSRE pretty darn good.

THANKS

I am not sure that there is a real (technical) issue is other than your doubt. As long as the tires and axles are not overloaded by the as-weighed (on a scale) weight of the tongue, and it tows pretty darned good, then the 20" tires are up to the task. 🙂

I have a silimar TV as you do and it tows well with a 600# tongue load. When not towing, which is most of the time, I appreciate having the tires I have (same as yours) as it gives decent performance. It might not be the best tire in the world for our trucks, but the engineering says its okay for the rated specs for the truck so that means it is good enough.

That said, when the time comes for me to replace my tires I will likely not get the Eagles as there are better tires out there, and while I am at it I will look at what is available in the XL load range in a P type tire. For you that might provide the extra margin needed to remove your doubts. There are lots of these tires listed at places like Discount Tire.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck tires have plenty of load rating for your truck, even towing a TT. Just keep using them. Going to LT for a 20" wheel will require a slightly larger tire size. That plus increased weight of an LT tire over P will decrease performance, acceleration, braking, and fuel economy.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
your pickup will be ok .
your problem will be that the ST tires on your trailer often will not have enough reserve capacity.
a killer of tires is when they sit without moving for extended periods of time .
probably not an issue with a half ton daily driver .

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
My Silverado also has 20" tires and comes factory equipped with a tow package, 7 pin connector, and pre-wired for trailer brakes. Now why would you suppose they did that if you couldn't tow a trailer? And not to high jack, but, I would also be curious to know what the gvwr would be for 20's vs 16's? Enquiring minds and all...
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

berniross
Explorer
Explorer
My Silverado 2500HD came with Goodyear Wrangler M/S load rang E.
2013 Crossroads Cruiser SK 305
2012 Silverado 2500 Duramax
SuperGlide 16K
Advantage PressurePro