cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004-2006 Dodge Diesel

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a good used 2004 - 2006 Dodge Diesel, as I don't care to get into the newer emissions stuff.

Anything good or bad to say about these year models?

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
46 REPLIES 46

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 that I purchased in 2011 with 100k miles on it then.
It now has almost 200k and runs great. A few minor problems but has been a wonderful truck for towing and I dont have to buy DEF.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Great post Durb... the Mega cab is really hard to find in my area. There's plenty of the quad cabs available at a lower price than the big quad cabs.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks built after June 2004 were labeled 2004.5 trucks, 325 hp, 600 ft-lbs. 2004.5+ have four inch exhaust system. The 48RE transmission is fine as long as you run clean fluid and change the filter and adjust the bands per spec. I have owned mine for 5 years and it has been flawless, just filters and fluids. Subject of air bag recall. Above average fuel economy. Exhaust brake add is a must. More engine noise than newer diesels. Simple to access fuel and oil filters. Would prefer a crew cab over quad cab.

Can't figure where the knocks are coming from, my truck's paint shines, no rust, the leather is excellent and the dash is perfect and in one piece. I tow a 10k# fiver and the truck does fine, gets me there every time without drama or incident. Very low depreciation.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
I would avoid the 03. It has a smaller turbo and less power. The gap between them and the newer year after that is something I wouldn't compromise on unless the price was right.

305 HP version went through 2004. Then went to 325. Same turbo through 2004 with 305. Certainly nothing about the 305 engine itself you would want to avoid and if you think the turbo is small, you don't understand how they work. The 305 has no issues with EGT and the turbo will happily flow well beyond that if asked to.
Many believe the 305HP was the best engine ever put in a Dodge and is legendary for its fuel efficiency. It also lacks the cat conv. the 325hp models were forced to employ (and hence, use bigger turbo housings).
BTW, my 305 keeps up with my buddy's 325 (in stock form) just fine.

Is this where the brand bashing starts?

I think in 2003 the only 305 HP version was the high output - with the manual transmission. That is what my truck was - and it was great.

I wanted to order an auto, but the 47RE was still being used, at least in the early 03. I thought the 48RE came out in 2004.

As far as exhaust brake. both of the manual transmissions worked with an EB. And I think there was a change you could make to the 48RE to allow it as well.

And OP, ignore the troller (aka fish). He has a hate-hate relationship with anything that isn't wearing his Blue Oval.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Fish On One.... south east USA.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want a ford and my last 2500 chevy rode like a wagon without springs so, what's left.

Sounds good Scott
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
twodownzero wrote:
I would avoid the 03. It has a smaller turbo and less power. The gap between them and the newer year after that is something I wouldn't compromise on unless the price was right.

305 HP version went through 2004. Then went to 325. Same turbo through 2004 with 305. Certainly nothing about the 305 engine itself you would want to avoid and if you think the turbo is small, you don't understand how they work. The 305 has no issues with EGT and the turbo will happily flow well beyond that if asked to.
Many believe the 305HP was the best engine ever put in a Dodge and is legendary for its fuel efficiency. It also lacks the cat conv. the 325hp models were forced to employ (and hence, use bigger turbo housings).
BTW, my 305 keeps up with my buddy's 325 (in stock form) just fine.

Is this where the brand bashing starts?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gulfcoast wrote:
I've found several in my area for sale that are really nice trucks.

What state are your from?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 06 2500. The cummins was a great engine but the rest of the truck was not good. Electrical issues, cheap seats, many little things that start to bug you after a while. I was very happy to move on from that truck. Hope you have better luck.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I've found several in my area for sale that are really nice trucks.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:

Seriously, the worst part is it's hard to find one that hasn't been beat to death or modified to the point its useless junk.

This plus finding one that the entire dashboard hasn't fallen to pieces.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pumped up 2005 can leave you with a hole in the inter cooler. Plastic.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go as far as early 2007 with minimal emissions. Of course you also loose out on a 6 speed auto and a exhaust brake. Honestly, the 07,08,09 6.7L Cummins was very reliable and had very little emission system problems.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The thing about the auto is, if you rebuild it you'll have a sweet performing rig that runs far better than stock.
Or, just find one of the hand-shakers. Bullet proof trans!