Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 - F250 diesel - your opinon please

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
A friend's dad is selling a 2005 F-250 diesel - larriet 4x4 with an off road package. It has 150,000 Km but I know he took very good care of it. He is asking $17,000 Canadian. We would be replacing an 05 Durango with 260,000 Km - Has been a good vehicle but the higher millage is scaring me a bit to trust it very far.

What do you think of the F250? Did ford make a good diesel/tranny? Would this be a good choice for a pull vehicle and a daily driver to replace my wife's durango? - are they fairly reliable? - decent cost to opperate as long as major problems don't come up? She drives 20 on the minutes on the highway each way to work.

I know it would easily handle the 30' bullet TT that we have know. Would it be enough truck to someday pull a moderate sized 5th wheel?

Hadn't realy been looking for another vehicle but this one just came up and he just listed it today. If its a good deal on a good truck I wouldn't want to let it go.

Thanks much for the time.
31 REPLIES 31

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
gschindel wrote:
Hi
A friend's dad is selling a 2005 F-250 diesel - larriet 4x4 with an off road package. It has 150,000 Km but I know he took very good care of it. He is asking $17,000 Canadian. We would be replacing an 05 Durango with 260,000 Km - Has been a good vehicle but the higher millage is scaring me a bit to trust it very far.

What do you think of the F250? Did ford make a good diesel/tranny? Would this be a good choice for a pull vehicle and a daily driver to replace my wife's durango? - are they fairly reliable? - decent cost to opperate as long as major problems don't come up? She drives 20 on the minutes on the highway each way to work.

I know it would easily handle the 30' bullet TT that we have know. Would it be enough truck to someday pull a moderate sized 5th wheel?

Hadn't really been looking for another vehicle but this one just came up and he just listed it today. If its a good deal on a good truck I wouldn't want to let it go.

Thanks much for the time.

what motor, trans and rear end in the truck.. with diesel prices like they are now i would use the truck for towing or hauling and get a smaller car to drive to work.. it don't take long to make up the cost of a nice $3-4,000 car that gets 30 MPG or more.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2005 crew cab 3/4T 4X4 with a 6.0 and auto. It's my daily driver. I like it and it has a very good ride. Sometimes its a bit of a pain in parking garages due to the length, but other than that, it's great.

A lot of people have had problems with the 6.0 diesel. I haven't had a bit of trouble with mine. I especially like how easy it is to change the oil and fuel filters on them.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.