cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011-12 Ford Escape ...opinions

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
My son is looking at trading in his 2008 Chevy Colorado Z 71, with the 5 cylinder engine, AT. It's been a good truck, has about 130kms (about 80,000 miles or so) on it, no major troubles....will need brakes and tires soon...but that's about it.

The Chevy has been maintained by the book, since new.

He's looking at the 2011-12 4 X 4, Ford Escapes.

I don't know much about them, think they came with a 4 cylinder or a V6.

Doubt if he would tow anymore than about 3000 lb.....trailer, more likely 1500-2000 lbs. trailer...would be max.

Anyone know anything about Ford Escape insofar as reliability, durability, trouble areas, comfort, noise, etc. ?

Are they good or bad vehicles ?

Any big recalls ?

How is good is Ford when it comes to backing up warranty ?

Any other issues ?

What would you check out with this or any used vehicle ? We've never had a 4 WD vehicle before and that concerns me in a used vehicle.

How would you check out the 4WD system...what common issues would there be to check out on the 4WD system ?

How much maintenance/cost is there with a 4WD system ? I don't know what kind of 4WD system a 2011/12 Escape has ?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the info.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the max towing amount for a properly equipped Escape(even the Ecoboost version)is 3500lbs.
and that's rated with only a 150lb. driver in it.

but any full height hybrid or travel trailer's frontal area, exceeds Ford's maximum amount.
i believe the max frontal area for the v-6 Escape with the factory tow package, is only 30 sq. ft., which any TT/HTT will exceed.

so, only popups, teardrops or something like the egg-shaped Escape.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
We have one also, one of the very first. It drives great, but the newer ones have a 6 speed transmission vs the 4 speed and an extra 40 HP from the V6, so it scoots. I would not hesitate to tow at its 3500-lb tow rating. Only problem has been a loose rear door seal (replaced under warranty) and broken rubber PCV elbow which I did in the driveway.

I had one customer with a newer Escape Hybrid. She towed a 19' tandem axle full-width TT. She was about 5x over the tow rating (5k trailer vs 1k tow rating on the Hybrid) and as of 80,000 miles she had zero issues with it.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I believe around 2005 the 4x4 versions became AWD (no buttons to control) so it's seemless.

My grandmother has a 2003 model 4x4 with V6 and has been very pleased with it. It's been extremely reliable and gets her around in Northern Colorado snow country just fine.

*Edited to add that I wouldn't tow anything with it beyond a jet ski or tiny utility trailer, it's a compact SUV, not a robust towing machine.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is on her 3rd one . She loves them. We never towed anything but a pair of jet skis.
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rav
Explorer
Explorer
we really like ours- 2012, FWD w/ 4 cylinder. gets good gas mileage. I don't know the tow ratings- you need to look at the owners manuals and see what each drive/engine/model combo could tow. search for Ford Escape owners manuals that should help you finding info.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 11 at work.

Everybody loves to drive it including me. It's a hybrid and gets great mileage for a small SUV.

I don't know if I would tow much more than a small popup with it though.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln