cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Ford V8/5.0 TT Package 3.73 31ft Cougar lite 7800 max

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never pulled with a half ton --Does anyone have experience towing with the V8/5.0?? Need opinions concerning the above combination. HELP!!!
35 REPLIES 35

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP: your truck and situation are very close to mine (no dog though). I pull a TT with a GVWR of 6250 lbs. I would not go higher than that. I max out my payload with just me and the wife and 100lbs in the truck when the TT is attached. I've towed the Alberta/B.C Rockies. The truck does okay , but I would not want to tow a heavier TT.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
missionman wrote:
Mvander wrote:
waltah wrote:
Mvander wrote:
The 5.0 has the same HP as the eco(minus 5) but you will have to access it differently.

quite the gap in torque across the entire rpm range. the engines arent comparable, they were built for different purposes. The 6.2 is more comparable to the EB than the 5.0

Lot of threads about HP VS. Torque. If you stomped on both of them with a similar load the results wouldn't be much different at the top of the hill. The eco would run generally lower rpm though.

There can be lots of threads about anything, I have owned both trucks with each of the drive trains that are in discussion.

Riddle me this, on the same 7% grade highway under the same load and weight. Why does my EB hold 65mph in cruise control and my 5.0 downshifted multiple gears and slowed to 40mph for the entire climb? Your argument is as ridiculous as the guy saying his 5.0 doesn't downshift on hills in 40mph winds. I don't live in indiana, I travel and camp the Adirondack, finger lake, white mountain, and Appalachian regions.

I've owned both, I've hauled heavy loads in the bed with both, I've towed heavy with both, I've towed the same highways with both.

Have you?

I don't know why your 5.0 truck couldn't keep up speed. Maybe you didn't push the gas pedal hard enough. Makes sense that it down shifted though, that's what its supposed to do.

Not knocking the eco boost. I really like them and have driven many granted I have not done the back to back testing. Both those motors do the same amount of work over time (or very close) in different ways. The eco boost feels more relaxed because its not spinning quickly. The driver doesn't feel or hear the increased cylinder pressures like they feel and hear the higher RPM of the V8.

These charachteristics make some people feel like the truck is pulling "effortlessly" when really it is working just as hard to do the same work just in a more pleasing way to some drivers.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

missionman
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
missionman wrote:
Your argument is as ridiculous as the guy saying his 5.0 doesn't downshift on hills in 40mph winds.

I call BS. You don't know what my truck does when I tow. You obviously have something wrong with yours as I pointed out, and used that as an excuse to buy a new truck. Pickuptrucks.com blah blah blah

Go ahead and call BS, I towed with the same truck as you, heck mine was even lighter being an extended cab so it probably did even better than yours. I think it's hilarious that you claim something was wrong with my 29k mile 2011 truck considering you constantly comment on how problem free the 5.0 is and problem ridden the EB is.

I'm sure others reading this can see where the fairy tales are coming from.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
missionman wrote:
Your argument is as ridiculous as the guy saying his 5.0 doesn't downshift on hills in 40mph winds.

I call BS. You don't know what my truck does when I tow. You obviously have something wrong with yours as I pointed out, and used that as an excuse to buy a new truck. I've hauled and towed with many trucks and this 5.0L is excellent at towing. Pickuptrucks.com did some extensive tests with towing on grades and the 5.0L does excellent towing 9000 lbs compared to the Ecoboost. Yes, the Ecoboost does a bit better but the 5.0L does a good job as well.

Sounds like the EGO-boost ramblings on the F150 forums I'm sure you're from.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

missionman
Explorer
Explorer
Mvander wrote:
waltah wrote:
Mvander wrote:
The 5.0 has the same HP as the eco(minus 5) but you will have to access it differently.

quite the gap in torque across the entire rpm range. the engines arent comparable, they were built for different purposes. The 6.2 is more comparable to the EB than the 5.0

Lot of threads about HP VS. Torque. If you stomped on both of them with a similar load the results wouldn't be much different at the top of the hill. The eco would run generally lower rpm though.

There can be lots of threads about anything, I have owned both trucks with each of the drive trains that are in discussion.

Riddle me this, on the same 7% grade highway under the same load and weight. Why does my EB hold 65mph in cruise control and my 5.0 downshifted multiple gears and slowed to 40mph for the entire climb? Your argument is as ridiculous as the guy saying his 5.0 doesn't downshift on hills in 40mph winds. I don't live in indiana, I travel and camp the Adirondack, finger lake, white mountain, and Appalachian regions.

I've owned both, I've hauled heavy loads in the bed with both, I've towed heavy with both, I've towed the same highways with both.

Have you?

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
waltah wrote:
Mvander wrote:

55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
Mvander wrote:

2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
waltah wrote:
Mike Up wrote:

Since it looks like you'll be really close, you may want to find a 3/4 ton truck that has more payload for your heavier travel trailer.

Good luck.

Or he could find a max tow and/or hd payload with 7700 or 8200 GVWR. Would be more comfortable towing a 33ft with a 3/4 though, I agree.

Max tow only comes with Ecoboost or 6.2l. I surely didn't want Ecoboost after coming out of a troubled 2010 5.4l. 6.2 is good option for 2013 and 2014 as it can be had in XLT trim but must be fully loaded.

HD Payload packages are very rare and hard to find, at least in my area.

3/4 ton may be best option.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.0 has the same HP as the eco(minus 5) but you will have to access it differently. Your probably asking a lot but it will do it. You won't win drag races but you won't stall on hills either. 3500-4000k for big hills. All N.A. gas motors will be this way.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Since it looks like you'll be really close, you may want to find a 3/4 ton truck that has more payload for your heavier travel trailer.

Good luck.

Or he could find a max tow and/or hd payload with 7700 or 8200 GVWR. Would be more comfortable towing a 33ft with a 3/4 though, I agree.
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

Sounds like you had bad fuel, clogged air filter, dirty fuel injectors or defective wire by throttle accelerator. ๐Ÿ™‚

Drove in 40 mph winds and very large hills with demanding grades, always had reserve power and never needed to have 4K rpms to maintain speed. Trailer is a 6500 lbs loaded tall Jay Flight 29' length 26BH.

Never a problem controlling the trailer going down hills or even in wind with my Reese Strait-Line hitch. Truck has plenty of engine braking and torque down low. Has more torque down low than my previous, nearly identically configured 2010 Screw 4WD 5.4L w/3.55 LS truck. Same transmission gearing but slightly lower ratio axle gearing that would had supposedly equaled the torque between the 2. BUT the 5.0L still had gobs more torque down low, than the 5.4L, despite that.

Perhaps you're just use to driving 3/4 - 1 ton diesels that rarely rev past 3000 rpms and make their torque peak at a barely moving 1500 rpms.

I've towed with numerous 1/2 tons and midsize trucks and this F150 5.0L is the best by far, out of any of them.

I know people are sensitive about their vehicles on here so I'm not going to argue with you. Just wanted to share my experience with the 5.0 and towing. It didn't work well for me, if it works okay for you that's fine. I bought it before I bought a TT so for everyday driving it was fantastic. I know what I experienced pulling with it and I shared it, a simple search on f150forum and here will show similar experiences to mine as well so I am not the minority.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
Sorry about the lack of info. Here are the facts. 2011 F150, SuperCrew Cab, 4WD, 7200# GVWR package, 36 gallon gas tank, Trailer tow package, 5.5' bed, the truck will have myself, my wife, 40 lbs of dog, 200 lbs of stuff in it, P275/65R18 tires, Trailer brake controller, off road Package, select shift Transmission and the truck has a Soft tonneau cover. I hope this helps and I really appreciate your help.

So with everything your described, I'd say about 600 lbs for everything (everyone also) in the truck.

Your truck looks very similar to mine except the off road package. I think you'll be right at the GVWR because your's is 150 lbs lower than my 7350 lbs and you'll have a much heavier trailer, even though you have 200 lbs less in the truck than me.

7800 * 13% (average travel trailer tongue weight) = 1014 lbs. 1014 * 80% (Average WDH weight that's transfered to the trucks axles) = 811 . 811 + 600 = 1411 lbs. If your yellow tire loading (tread act) sticker states 1411 lbs or more, you "SHOULD" be OK if the trucks cargo weight, and average percentages are correct for your rig. Best to get it weighed when you have it to see how close you are. But then it's to late, it's yours.

Good luck.

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the lack of info. Here are the facts. 2011 F150, SuperCrew Cab, 4WD, 7200# GVWR package, 36 gallon gas tank, Trailer tow package, 5.5' bed, the truck will have myself, my wife, 40 lbs of dog, 200 lbs of stuff in it, P275/65R18 tires, Trailer brake controller, off road Package, select shift Transmission and the truck has a Soft tonneau cover. I hope this helps and I really appreciate your help.

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
missionman wrote:
I towed my #6500 TT with a 2011 3.55 5.0 4x4 SCAB F150 regular tow pckg. note* I bought the truck before the TT not knowing the true dynamics of tow capacity and payload. 5.0 payload isn't good without the max payload option. I was within 100-200#'s of my GVWR with passengers/cargo/TT tongue weight.

Upgraded the truck after driving in the Adirondack/finger lake region. Need over 4k rpms to get to the meat of the torque to get up long grade changes and even had to romp on it to get up to highway speed. Once you were cruising it was okay, it would gear hunt even with 6th locked out but expected with high revving V8. You knew the trailer was in tow with the 5.0, or even hauling a load (pavers, topsoil, etc.) It got the job done though. Couple that with the 147" wheelbase and I was ready to upgrade.

The 5.0 drivetrain will get the job done but doesn't really feel comfortable towing/hauling at its towing/payload limits, YMMV.

Sounds like you had bad fuel, clogged air filter, dirty fuel injectors or defective wire by throttle accelerator. ๐Ÿ™‚

Drove in 40 mph winds and very large hills with demanding grades, always had reserve power and never needed to have 4K rpms to maintain speed. Trailer is a 6500 lbs loaded tall Jay Flight 29' length 26BH.

Never a problem controlling the trailer going down hills or even in wind with my Reese Strait-Line hitch. Truck has plenty of engine braking and torque down low. Has more torque down low than my previous, nearly identically configured 2010 Screw 4WD 5.4L w/3.55 LS truck. Same transmission gearing but slightly lower ratio axle gearing that would had supposedly equaled the torque between the 2. BUT the 5.0L still had gobs more torque down low, than the 5.4L, despite that.

Perhaps you're just use to driving 3/4 - 1 ton diesels that rarely rev past 3000 rpms and make their torque peak at a barely moving 1500 rpms.

I've towed with numerous 1/2 tons and midsize trucks and this F150 5.0L is the best by far, out of any of them.

Throw some LT tires on the truck and you'll get a stiffer side wall that hampers the back and forth wallowing motion that P-rated tires are known for. That can be un-nerving for some.