cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Ford V8/5.0 TT Package 3.73 31ft Cougar lite 7800 max

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never pulled with a half ton --Does anyone have experience towing with the V8/5.0?? Need opinions concerning the above combination. HELP!!!
35 REPLIES 35

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
Ron ----thanks for the input--it has really help clear my head.
Please note that I've corrected an error in my previous post.

When I calculated the Gross Combination Weight, I incorrectly added the TV's GVWR to the TT's estimated loaded weight.
This, in effect, counts the TT's tongue weight twice, minus the amount of load transferred to the TT's axles via the WDH.

The correct procedure is to use the TV's estimated unhitched loaded weight (including weight of WDH) plus the TT's estimated loaded weight.
This gives a GCW of about 13,370# rather than the value of 14,100# which I incorrectly calculated in the previous post.

The good news is that the corrected GCW is about 700# lower than my previous estimate.

Ron

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
baitboy, that 97 F150 had a 3.55 rear gear.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ron ----thanks for the input--it has really help clear my head.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
The axle ratio is 3.73 and the GCWR is 15100 lbs. and ( based on waltah's imput) I have gone to a trailer one size smaller same length but weights 5520 with a 1608 carrying capacity.
It's not the truck's pulling capacity that will determine how much trailer weight can be handled -- it's the truck's carrying capacity.

Your yellow sticker says the truck can carry 1412# in occupants and cargo.
The cargo weight should include about 80# for a weight distributing hitch.
You have used a value of 600# for occupants and cargo. That should be increased to 680#.

The remaining "payload" capacity for vertical load imposed by the TT is 1412-680 = about 730#.
That means, when using a WDH, the tongue weight can be 730/0.8 = about 900#.
The corresponding maximum allowable TT weight would be 900/0.13 = about 6900#.

The Gross Combination Weight is equal to the weight of the loaded TV (including weight of the WDH) plus weight of the loaded TT.
Weight of the loaded TV is estimated at (7200-1412)+680 = about 6470#.
Weight of the loaded TT is assumed to be 6900#.
The GCW is about 6470+6900 = 13,370# -- about 1700# below its GCWR 0f 15,100#.

Ron

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
What was your rear end ratio in your older ford??

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going over the pass to Eastern WA with a #5000 TT and my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 was a good tow.. I was in second gear and pulling 3500 rpms and going 55 mph, so it was fine..

Towing the same TT with my 13 Ecoboost I'm in 4th gear, pulling around 2800 rpms going 60 mph.

You'll need more rpms with the 5.0 (it has more power than the old 5.4) compared to the Eco, but you'll get up the hills as long as you don't mind pulling in the higher rpm range while going up the grades.. You will probably be in 3rd gear and pulling around 3500 rpms to go 55-60 mph.

It's still all guesstimates of course, as no one can determine your towing comfort level and what you consider a "comfortable tow"..

Will you be under "ALL" of your trucks weight limits with that trailer? Who knows?? But my own opinion is you'll be maxed out on GVWR/payload for sure.. I'm within #600 of my trucks GVWR and only #400 from my trucks rear GAWR with just a #5000 LOADED TT and I've got the Max Tow F150 with an Ecoboost.. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, until you get some actual truck weights to find out where you are and go from there, it's only guesstimates..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
The axle ratio is 3.73 and the GCWR is 15100 lbs. and ( based on waltah's imput) I have gone to a trailer one size smaller same length but weights 5520 with a 1608 carrying capacity.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
---I would like your opinion.---

Do you know the truck's Gross Combination Weight Rating?

You can find the GCWR in the Owners Manual if you know the axle ratio.

Ron

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
Id look for a TT that was under 6000# GVWR, my opinion.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.0 does not tow well at the limits of the truck, and I see you are in washington state. Elevation changes are not going to help things. I said it before and I'll say it again, I yanked around a 6400lb (loaded ready to go, yours is already @ 5900 with nothing in it) trailer with my previous 5.0 here in the adirondack/finger lake region. Not very fun with the elevation changes/climbs. That trailer is going to have quite a bit of influence on the truck as well, it weighs quite a bit more and it decently long. make sure you get a quality sway/wdh setup if youre going to do it anyways.

You said it yourself, the weights are close. Meaning you are at the limits of the truck. Are you comfortable with that? If so, let it rip. It's a free country.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am writing you one more time because I got excellent info from your responses to my questions. It looks like (with the help of my wife) we have settled on a Keystone Cougar TT. It is 27ft. long, dry weight: 5910 lbs. Load limit 1820 lbs. I have run the numbers with your process and I end up here: Trailer 7730 lbs. X .13 = 1005 lbs. X .8 = 804 lbs.+ 600lbs.(truck load) = 1404 lbs.. The truck weight is 5563 lbs. - 7200 lbs. (GVWR) = 1637 lbs. From all of that this is what is left 1637 lbs. - 1404 lbs. = 233 lbs. As you can see based on your process it is CLOSE. My yellow card on the drivers door says 1412 lbs. No gas is included in the truck calculations. I would like your opinion. I am looking forward to hearing from you all.

Baitboy

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
Sorry that I have been so slow about getting back to you all---We have been looking hard at different trailers. I really value your input. We are now looking at trailers that are 28ft or less and with a dry weight of 5200 lbs or less. Based on your input that is where I ended up. I feel like I can control the gross weight and keep it around 6500 lbs. Like I said you all have been great. Am I closer to the trucks capability?

My opinion is worth what you pay for it but I say you will be fine for power. Just be sure the hitch is set-up properly and watch your payload after you deduct the tounge wt.

I wouldn't hesitate to pull that weight with the drive train but don't be afraid to let it rev a little. 4k rpms won't hurt a thing.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry that I have been so slow about getting back to you all---We have been looking hard at different trailers. I really value your input. We are now looking at trailers that are 28ft or less and with a dry weight of 5200 lbs or less. Based on your input that is where I ended up. I feel like I can control the gross weight and keep it around 6500 lbs. Like I said you all have been great. Am I closer to the trucks capability?

missionman
Explorer
Explorer
missionman wrote:

The 5.0 drivetrain will get the job done but doesn't really feel comfortable towing/hauling at its towing/payload limits, YMMV.

sure sounds a lot like...

Mr Biggles wrote:
I pull a TT with a GVWR of 6250 lbs. I would not go higher than that.The truck does okay , but I would not want to tow a heavier TT.

this.