Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Jeep Liberty towing a new 2014 Amerilite 19bhc

newrvereric
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
I'm newbee to travel trailing. I just bought a 2014 ameri lite ultra lite 19bhc. I was wondering if i could get some advice on how to tow a travel trailer. I checked my owners manual and the max towing that i can get is 5,000lbs. I just installed a uhal hitch with a rateing of 500lbs. (i'm not sure what the means)I also in stalled a brake control too. Anyway the TT rateings are ...
GVWR
Dry Weight 2,740 lbs.
Hitch Weight 310 lbs.
Net Carrying Capacity 760 lbs.
Black Water Tank Cap 37 gal.
Grey Water Tank Cap 37 gal.
Fresh Water Tank Cap 30 gal.
LP Gas Tanks 20 lb.

My question is ... Am I set up to good enough to tow my Travel Trailer? And what does the hitch weight mean.
17 REPLIES 17

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
07 liberty

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We had a diesel Libby with factory tow package 5000lb rated wit 7pin and trans cooler. Doubt you have have 5000lb rating with a uhaul boat anchor.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mrotis
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
I have bee towing an18' htt with a max weight of 4000#. I use an equalizer hitch and it tows great. Not a problem with trucks passing. I usually get between 11.5 and 12.5 mpg but once on a fairly flat trip I managed 15.2 mpg. If you do not have a tranny cooler add one before you tow. Enjoy

Hi - are you pulling with a Town and Country or Liberty?

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have bee towing an18' htt with a max weight of 4000#. I use an equalizer hitch and it tows great. Not a problem with trucks passing. I usually get between 11.5 and 12.5 mpg but once on a fairly flat trip I managed 15.2 mpg. If you do not have a tranny cooler add one before you tow. Enjoy

mrotis
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
mrotis wrote:
Hello - I have also recently purchased the same Gulfstream model and am set up to pull with my 2002 Town and Country. The van already has a class 3 hitch installed with equalizer and stabilizers/anti-sway. Have electric brakes and van is rated for 3800 towing capacity.

I'm getting mixed opinions about the van's ability to tow adequately and wonder if you all have any thoughts/suggestions. We have taken it out and, sure, you feel it back there.

Thanks for your thoughts.
-otis

If the trailer weighs 3800lbs then you are at your vans tow rating. are you using a WD hitch? anytime you put a TT behind something you are going to know it`s back there.

Thanks for both your posts - we do have a WD (weight distributing) hitch. Another question I have is about driving in 3 for the majority versus D or overdrive. Seems to handle better, better response in 3 versus D but I don't want to burn up the transmission. I will say the RPMs are not really high in 3 either.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect you will want something bigger if you ever meet up with one of those big tractor trailer trucks pulling a load of logs stacked up as high as you can see heading at you at 70MPH on a two lane road. There is no escape getting as far to the right as you can get to the side of the road...

I have meet up with a few of these monsters on US82 between MS and Arkansas where the blast of wind from the on-coming truck would blow away my F150 truck windshield wipers sometimes pulling my off-road popup shown here... Lost a couple of HAM ANTENNAs mounted on my truck as well... The last thing you see is the truck driver with big smile on his face...

Be safe out there my friend...
Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
The thing that sticks out to me is that you had to add a hitch. This likely means that your Liberty does not have a tow package meaning its limited to 2,000 lbs towing (from what I'm reading in the manual).

"Your vehicle is capable of towing trailers up to 2,000 lbs
(907 kg) without added equipment or alterations to the
standard equipment. Your vehicle may be factory
equipped for safe towing of trailers weighing over
2,000 lbs (907 kg) with the optional Trailer Tow Prep
Package." - 2011 Liberty Owners manual

Usually the tow prep package includes the hitch and extra cooling for the transmission at a minimum. You can probably tow that camper with your set up, but if you cook the transmission doing so, your warranty will probably be out the window.

You should see if the parts of the "tow prep package" can be added if you dont have them on your Liberty already. With some vehicles this is possible to keep the warranty, but others the manufacturer wont recognize the upgrades (for warranty claims) unless it left the factory with the tow package option.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrotis wrote:
Hello - I have also recently purchased the same Gulfstream model and am set up to pull with my 2002 Town and Country. The van already has a class 3 hitch installed with equalizer and stabilizers/anti-sway. Have electric brakes and van is rated for 3800 towing capacity.

I'm getting mixed opinions about the van's ability to tow adequately and wonder if you all have any thoughts/suggestions. We have taken it out and, sure, you feel it back there.

-otis

If the trailer weighs 3800lbs then you are at your vans tow rating. are you using a WD hitch? anytime you put a TT behind something you are going to know it`s back there.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perfect combo. just be sure you have your WD hitch setup properly. this will be your biggest factor in towing stability.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mrotis
Explorer
Explorer

-otis

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
newrvereric wrote:
Thanks so much for the great reponses. You guys are great, hedley flow state park here we come. (just make sure I drive really really slow for the fist time out.) I just got tell the wife to take a dramamine pill and give her lots of wine for the trip. Thanks again for all your help. Oh one more thing is it better to pack things in the front of the trailer or the back of the trailer to help with wight distribution? Thanks.

Dont load everything in one end. You need to be around 60% front to 40% rear.

newrvereric
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the great reponses. You guys are great, hedley flow state park here we come. (just make sure I drive really really slow for the fist time out.) I just got tell the wife to take a dramamine pill and give her lots of wine for the trip. Thanks again for all your help. Oh one more thing is it better to pack things in the front of the trailer or the back of the trailer to help with wight distribution? Thanks.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not but the Liberty is a fairly stout tow vehicle. The GVWR for that trailer is 3500lbs, well below the tow rating. You'll have no problems towing it. As for the hitch it usually has 2 ratings, one for weight carrying (dead weight) and one for use with a weight distributing hitch. Is there a sticker on it that specifies? Either way even rated for 500lbs you should be ok. Even if you load the trailer to the max GVWR it's unlikely that you will exceed 500lbs of tongue weight. The receiver should have a 2" square opening, if so it is likely a class 3 receiver and will be fine as long as you use a good WD hitch with it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Congratz on the Amerilite. We have had one for a few seasons now and love it.

At a max of 3500 lbs you should be ok with the tow limit. You need to find the trucks payload too. That's how much the truck can carry and everything in it including the tongue weight is included.
I agree that you need a receiver hitch. You will need a weight distribution hitch with sway control.
You don't have a lot of carrying capacity in the trailer so I suggest filling the water tank at the campground and emptying the tanks before you leave. That removes 240 lbs from the towing and weight off the tongue as well.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator