cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 jayco leaking

family
Explorer
Explorer
Found a small puddle of water on night stand after raining the night before. According to the dealer and Jayco this is my fault because i havn't "reconditioned the seals" "Warranty doesn't apply" This camper is only 23 months old. any advice ? anyone heard of this on such a new trailer ?
11 REPLIES 11

family
Explorer
Explorer
to answer other question, it's a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 26'bh

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
family wrote:
Thanks for all the reply's. I checked for possible entry points and did not see anything obvious. Anyway I did do some sealing in places that makes sense as to where i traced the water inside. We should all be thankful most of these company's don't build boats ! (my previous boat never leaked after 30 years)

I'm feeling ya! The ol' RV is definitely more maintenance intensive than my 18' boat ever was.Part of the reason we traded our fifth wheel for our current Jayco TT. About 100 miles fewer seams,penetrations, and other openings that require caulking!;)

family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's. I checked for possible entry points and did not see anything obvious. Anyway I did do some sealing in places that makes sense as to where i traced the water inside. We should all be thankful most of these company's don't build boats ! (my previous boat never leaked after 30 years)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
From the Jayco Towable Limited Warranty:

"WHAT IS NOT COVERED
By way of example only, this limited warranty does not cover any of the
following: defects in materials, components or parts of the RV not attributable to
Jayco; items that are added or changed after the RV leaves the possession of
Jayco; additional equipment or accessories installed at any dealership, or other
place of business, or by any other party, other than Jayco; any RV used for rental
or other commercial purposes (Note: It shall be concluded that the RV has been
used for commercial and/or business purposes if the RV owner or user files a tax
form claiming any business or commercial tax benefit related to the RV, or if the
RV is purchased, registered or titled in a business name); any RV sold or used
JAYCO TOWABLE SECTION 1 โ€“ WARRANTY & SERVICE
1-10 TT/FW
outside the United States, U.S. Territories or Canada; any RV not used solely for
recreational travel and camping; any RV purchased through auction or wholesale;
any RV purchased from a dealer that is not an authorized dealer of Jayco; normal
wear, tear or usage, such as tears, punctures, soiling, mildew, fading, or
discoloration of exterior plastic or fiberglass, or soft goods, such as upholstery,
drapes, carpet, vinyl, screens, cushions, mattresses and fabrics; the effects of
condensation or moisture from condensation inside the RV or failure to provide
adequate ventilation; mold or any damage caused by mold to the inside or outside
of the RV; imperfections that do not affect the suitability of the RV for its intended
purpose of recreational use or items that are working as designed but that you are
unhappy with; problems, including water leaks, related to misuse, mishandling,
neglect or abuse, including failure to maintain the RV in accordance with the
ownerโ€™s manual, or other routine maintenance such as inspections, lubricating,
adjustments, tightening of screws and fittings, tightening of lug nuts, sealing,
rotating tires; damage due to accident, whether or not foreseeable, including
any acts of weather or damage or corrosion due to the environment, theft,
vandalism, fire, or other intervening acts not attributable to Jayco; service items
such as windshield wiper blades, lubricants, fluids, filters, etc.; damage resulting
from tire wear or tire failure; defacing, scratches, dents, chips on any surface or
fabric of the RV; damage caused by off road use, overloading the RV or alteration
of the RV, or any of its components or parts; wheel alignment or adjustments to
axles when caused by improper maintenance, loading or damage from road
hazards, including off road travel, wheel damage or balancing or damage from tire
failures. Also, any costs associated with obtaining service, including by way of
example, travel costs, are specifically excluded from the coverage of this warranty."

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
The difference here is that the friend was "inspecting" his trailer per the manual. If you admit you haven't done the required inspections (I think it's every 90 days on a jayco too, It is on my Salem) it's an easy out for them...... they can still deny it but if you did everything by the book they are more likely to work with you good luck
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Interesting...I have a friend with a 2012 26BH that developed a leak last year from a clearance light. While still under the 2 year warranty and well beyond 90 days since they purchased it new, the dealer worked with Jayco and covered the cost of the repair.

Maybe the clearance light itself leaked and not the caulking around it? If so, that may be the difference - a defective piece of equipment, not ineffective caulking.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting...I have a friend with a 2012 26BH that developed a leak last year from a clearance light. While still under the 2 year warranty and well beyond 90 days since they purchased it new, the dealer worked with Jayco and covered the cost of the repair.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on daamac's remarks. After 90 days, Jayco considers roof seams, wall/roof penetrations, etc. as maintenance items and the owner's responsibility. I have found and repaired cracked caulking around the roof ladder and the roof/front cap seams on our WhiteHawk in the first year we owned it..........before they became a problem. What model Jayco do you have?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
This topic made me think because I haven't had to do anything caulk wise to my Keystone since I bought it in 2009/2010 model. It's been raining hard for two days so I just went out and checked it for leaks as the slider is and has been out.....

Notta.... But when the rain ceases, I'll be on the ladder checking like I already should have.

As far as warranty and aftermarket warranty, never had much luck getting either of them to do didly squat even with a RV tech calling it in.

Simpler just to do it yourself.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately the Jayco "bumper to bumper" warranty does not cover water leaks after about 3 months; the owner is required to check seams on roof and sides and correct any potential leak issues, even if the potential leak area was never caulked by Jayco at the factory. Maybe you could document that you or dealer did the checks, and did not find any issues? Here is a link to a discussion on another board about Jayco and water leaks: Jayco water leaks. Most other manufacturers have similar exclusions; I think all of them should be embarrassed about the exclusions, but they are not.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
"Warranty doesn't apply"

This goes for after market insurances also. Every Rv buyer should be prepared to take care of maintenance on his or her rv from day 1.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04