cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going camping close to home

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going camping close to home as a shake down before our bigger camp trip.

We never go to private campgrounds except a select few. Reason is that many are just garbage with unkept campsites, run down permanent campsites, and/or lack of nice trails and fishing. Some are just mobile-home parks with campers.

Now there are some fair private parks out there made mainly for socializing and parties, and a select few that offer rustic forest campsites. The 3 I know of that offer rustic camping have gone for the worst. One just shut down because of family issues. The other was sold to a younger yuppie couple who changed it into a Jellystone look a like based more on an amusement park theme than a rustic/nature theme. Add insult to injury they raised prices out of this world. Not much cheaper than a hotel stay. The third is rustic but raised their prices so high it's cheaper to rent a hotel room for overnight, then go to the state park on day trips where you can have a fire, fish, or hike for the day.

Now I know why the State Parks are so filled, with private campgrounds not being as nice and/or being much more expensive. Can't see how anyone with a tent would want to go to a private campground anymore.

Prices never were so high just 5 years ago. Boy have they escalated up. Surprised they get any business but obviously people are willing to pay.

With the expensive price of a trailer, it's upkeep, and it's licensing, the addition of expensive campgrounds would likely kill the hobby if it weren't for the State Parks more reasonable campsite pricing and beautiful offerings.

Just disappointing that's there is so few State Parks.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
31 REPLIES 31

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
A "shakedown cruse" close to home makes perfect sense. Did that with all three of our RV's.

Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Your complaining about $40 a night, even our state parks are not that cheap, Private campgrounds in So Cal is like off season $55 a night +++++ You got a deal at $40 a night if its full hookups. Now at the beach the state park with Electrical and dump station is $70 in a beach parking lot. You have it made!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments and ideas. As I said, I did make it to Tippecanoe State Park. I also have 2 other State Park sites reserved.

It honestly surprises us that there as many people liking the private campgrounds. We found them not to offer that much more than areas we can find around the house.

State parks offer to us, much more. There's always fishing in really beautiful areas that seem reserved for only the DNR. No private campgrounds have that nice of areas, and most just have man made fishing ponds. We enjoy nature and love seeing wild animals we just don't have around most busier areas. Hek, we had a red fox come right to our campsite looking for scraps. A bit to tame but was nice seeing it.

We also love hiking on trails that are longer. Most private parks have limited trails with not much scenery on the way.

We just love State and National parks. Honestly don't see much use for private parks with the little they offer and the high prices. They are nice for quick, close trips just to get away but we always go to State parks on more extended vacations.

I just wish there were more closer State parks so that we could go more on weekends.

Our county parks don't offer camping and either do the majority of the fair grounds. You can schedule Scout tent camping trips for those areas though, but they're not open for regular camping, tent or RV.

I did do a search and the State of Indiana offers 4 Parks that offer only a handful of full hookup sites. They are either new State Parks or are Reservoirs. As I said, only 4 in the entire State.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
We used to do the commercial parks too, like KOA, etc. We always had the impression that state parks didn't have much to offer and only the more inexperienced campers stayed at places like that.

Well, not true. Now the only places we stay are State, National and Corp of Engineers parks. They are well maintained, generally offer electric and water and a dump station. Some even offer full hook-up. The scenery is beautiful, good hiking trails, fishing, biking, and walking. Try to find that at a commercial park. Prices are a fraction of the cost of commercial, seniors get half price at National and Corp. parks.

A little defense though for KOA. On our trip through the plains states last spring we found that KOA's were the best choice, prices reasonable and had full hook ups. This was through the states of SD, MT, WY, CO, TX. Although they were not as picturesque as other parks and the sites were close together, it did offer the best alternative for what we needed. Out longer stays were at national parks like Glacier, and Yellowstone.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Indiana Dunes is best visited when it's still in the 40's in April. That way us HOOSIERS can enjoy our park before the onslaught of Illinois plates takes over.

I think the same thing every time I walk through a Michigan state park that took me 2 years to get a reservation, and I pass a ton of Indiana plates!

Our state parks are about $30/night and usually only with water hook up, but are at great locations.

I won't hesitate to go to the private parks and pay $50-$60/night though if it means that I have FHU, cement patio, pool and arcade for the kids. It's all a trade off.
We do about half state park and half expensive private during the year. Even with the expensive private parks, I'm saving a ton of money compared to a hotel. Plus, I have my kitchen.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
In MN state parks you need a vehicle sticker to get into them. The sticker is 5 bucks a day or 25 bucks for a yearly pass. Camping is $12-23 a night. Usually $23. Getting a reservation is the hard part.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
Our provincial parks are 48.00 a night with 30 amp electric hookup and no sewer or fresh water hookup (fill station and dump station)

Many of the private campgrounds here cost less then the parks

Got that right. Provincial Parks in Canada are sub-par when compared to the State Parks in the US - one up for the US over Canada. And with the Canadian dollar being essentially on par with the US dollar $48 is a ripoff for what you get. Even the KOAs here are cheaper. When I camped in Brampton Ontario lasr year I camped in a city park. It was not $48 per night and it had full hookups. Here in Texas, SPs typically run max $26 for full hookups, and as low as maybe $16 with water and electricity.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
I don't know what it's like where you are located. In MN there are county campgrounds in almost every county. They each have a different style to them depending on what you want. I just got back from my memorial day camping trip and it was 17 dollars a night with electric but, no water or sewer hookup. The do have a dumping station on site though.

I wish we had a State Park in every county but we don't and they're $19/night from Mon-Thr and $26/night for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's no water or septic, just electric.

I actually said County Campgrounds, not state parks. MN does not have state parks in every county. We do seem to have one every 50-70 miles or so though. MN state parks are quite nice but, expensive and hard to get into. There booked up early in the year. County campground are maintained by the county. They are more primitive but, much cheaper. If you find the right one on a off weekend they can be quite cheap and easy to get into.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Lake Freeman and Lake Schafer. If push comes to shove, maybe just 1 night in a KOA or similar. Not usually a big fan of KOA, but there is one in Millersburg, IN or very close. We stayed there when we visited the FR plant where our ROO was built. A bit more outdoorsy and not on asphalt. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
That looks relaxing!
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Tippecanoe River State Park. Here's the pics..

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Actually, we have found camping closer to home to be a real benefit. We do take 1 or 2 longer trips each year, but with DS#1 having more health issues, we feel like this trip coming up is our last more than 100 miles. In a way hate to think about that, but certainly won't mind driving past numerous gas stations. Our 2 very fav CGs are both TN SP, one about 35 miles and the other about 45. The rangers are almost like family. It's like being a million miles from home and somewhere along the way, the stress levels of everyday life melt away. We also have a choice of 3 or 4 MS SP or even 1 that's close in AR. These get us home within a couple of hours if need be. We generally pay around $25 per night, sometimes a bit more if FHU, but certainly not excessive rates.

You're in NW IN. What about something around Lake Freeman or Lake _____, that I can't remember. Have you checked into anything in IL? Is it too far to swing around to the MI campgrounds near or on the lake? Brown County is gorgeous, but certainly a couple of tanks of gas - or more. If that appeals to you, make reservations now for fall. We rather like the idea of 1 tank of gas getting us there and back, not spending forever driving, being set up and enjoying the outdoors rather than sitting in the car for miles and miles. There really is something to be said for close to home.

You might also look into some city or county parks. Some are very nice, others not so much.

Good luck and happy camping!

I like our campgrounds up here but most are over 2 hours away. Michigan is for sure over 2 hours away. The only close State Parks are Indiana Dunes and Tippecanoe State Parks, the rest are over 2 hours away. I like both a lot but Indiana Dunes is best visited when it's still in the 40's in April. That way us HOOSIERS can enjoy our park before the onslaught of Illinois plates takes over.

Your talking Monticello Indiana's Lake Freeman and Lake Schafer which are nice but further away.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

That looks pretty easy. I have ditches, inclined driveway, swing around the garage to level with garage. Sub goes slight east to full blown west for that manuevor. I have a double wide driveway and need the sub to go off the driveway 8 feet to swing the 21ft straight. Good times, and no spotter required.

The hard part is getting a 29' trailer in a driveway that's only inches wider than the trailer itself, from a roadway that's just a bit bigger than 1 lane. You nearly have to jackknife the trailer into the driveway. It can be done obviously but with patience. I'd give anything to have a double wide driveway and a 2 lane roadway to make it easier. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
You just live in the wrong part of state. There are many beautiful state parks/recreation areas in the mid and southern sections of Indiana. Some even have full hookups (book a year in advance for these sites).

As for private campgrounds, don't judge the rest of the state/country by northern Indiana. NW Indiana not a campers paradise.

I like our parks in Northern Indiana. The Southern part of the state seems to have run down parks compared to ours but each to their own. My favorite parks are in central Indiana and Kentucky.

Besides, wouldn't matter much to make reservations if I couldn't get there in at least 2 hours.