cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 ram 1500 short bed?

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
have a 2012 ram 1500 2wd crew cab and found a small 5th wheel 21 ft with a dry weight of 4040lbs and a GVWR of 5756 LBS. should my 1/2 ton ram be able to handle this?
thanks
21 REPLIES 21

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Towing a TT within all the TV's ratings using a quality WDH with integrated sway control will be just as comfortable as a 5th wheel RV. Do not chose a 5er or TT because of how you think it will tow.

There are compromises for each type. Use of truck bed, number of RV entry steps, RV floorplans, weights, interior height, etc. Prioritize those aspects for your situation, not mine or anyone else.

For the same length RV, a TT will weigh and cost less. A TT is lower entry and usually has lower interior height. 5er usually has more outside storage and generally easier to hitch/unhitch.

My opinion is that you get a lot more RV for your money in a TT for half and 3/4 ton pulling. If you can tow about 6k loaded 5er, then you get closer to 8k in a TT because the hitch hardware weighs less.

some good points and after pricing some of the slider hitches (2300 to 2900) i am kind of swaying towards the TT. we only want it to go to vegas from bullhead city az a couple times a year and really don't want to tie that much money up in a hitch when we already have the set up to tow a TT.
thanks again for all the help

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a TT within all the TV's ratings using a quality WDH with integrated sway control will be just as comfortable as a 5th wheel RV. Do not chose a 5er or TT because of how you think it will tow.

There are compromises for each type. Use of truck bed, number of RV entry steps, RV floorplans, weights, interior height, etc. Prioritize those aspects for your situation, not mine or anyone else.

For the same length RV, a TT will weigh and cost less. A TT is lower entry and usually has lower interior height. 5er usually has more outside storage and generally easier to hitch/unhitch.

My opinion is that you get a lot more RV for your money in a TT for half and 3/4 ton pulling. If you can tow about 6k loaded 5er, then you get closer to 8k in a TT because the hitch hardware weighs less.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Eng208
Explorer
Explorer
The fifth wheel allows you to have a longer length trailer without the overall length being longer by having some of the trailer over the bed. It is usually the master bedroom, but not always. I have seen the living room in the forward area. In your case, you probably will not see a benefit in going to a fifth wheel, and might even create a few undesirable issues. Since you are going to be really limited in choices due to weight, I would suggest going to a travel trailer with proper hitch set up. You should not have any problems with stability if you learn how to set up your hitch.
97 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 CTD with Goerend Transmission mod.(GVWR 8800lbs, or 4000 Kg)
95 Four Winds Fifth Wheel
99 Toyota Fourrunner V6

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Almost 1600 pounds is better than I expected. So you'll have maybe 800 pounds of pin weight, 250 pound receiver, leaving 500+ pounds for people and a little cargo. Looks good to me!

Just curious, why does that small/light 5er appeal over a similar size/weight TT?

well never had either one, we just sold our MH and after speaking to some people it seems that a 5er has more stability to tow and easier.
like i said i never had either and if u or anyone has some pros or cons about either one it would be most appreciated.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 1600 pounds is better than I expected. So you'll have maybe 800 pounds of pin weight, 250 pound receiver, leaving 500+ pounds for people and a little cargo. Looks good to me!

Just curious, why does that small/light 5er appeal over a similar size/weight TT?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Alright, subtract the weight of all the passengers and stuff you plan on carrying in the truck from 1592lbs (average for a 1/2 ton truck). Subtract another ~200lbs for the weight of the hitch in the bed as well. What you have left is what you can have for the fifth wheels pin weight. If pin weight is under that remaining weight then you are good to go. Keep an eye on your rear axle weight rating too. Being a little over payload isn't that big of a deal as long as you're under the RAWR. That's a little harder to determine without going to the scales.

You will be able to tow a much larger trailer than 5th wheel though. With a fiver the truck needs to carry the pin weight which is 20-25% of the trailers weight. With a tow behind trailer you have the tongue weight but it is much lower, usually only 10-15% of the trailer weight.

thank u, i guess we might be looking for a TT. AT LEAST ITS A GOOD THING I ASKED HERE FIRST BEFORE BUYING THE 5ER...

thanks to all

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, subtract the weight of all the passengers and stuff you plan on carrying in the truck from 1592lbs (average for a 1/2 ton truck). Subtract another ~200lbs for the weight of the hitch in the bed as well. What you have left is what you can have for the fifth wheels pin weight. If pin weight is under that remaining weight then you are good to go. Keep an eye on your rear axle weight rating too. Being a little over payload isn't that big of a deal as long as you're under the RAWR. That's a little harder to determine without going to the scales.

You will be able to tow a much larger trailer than 5th wheel though. With a fiver the truck needs to carry the pin weight which is 20-25% of the trailers weight. With a tow behind trailer you have the tongue weight but it is much lower, usually only 10-15% of the trailer weight.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
usmohls2@yahoo.com wrote:
joelyn wrote:
have a 2012 ram 1500 2wd crew cab and found a small 5th wheel 21 ft with a dry weight of 4040lbs and a GVWR of 5756 LBS. should my 1/2 ton ram be able to handle this?
thanks

Does your truck have a tow package? Heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, wiring harness?

yes, have the heavy duty rad, trans cooler, hitch, 7 and 4 pin wiring harness and brake controller

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Locate this sticker. Note what yours has where mine says 2051:

OK, found that sticker and it has 1592 as total weight, guess thats not that much or is it?

does that number have anything to do if we just get a travel trailer somewhere weighing around 3800lbs?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Like APTs sticker you should have something that says "the weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed...." That number is your payload.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
thanks

Does your truck have a tow package? Heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, wiring harness?

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Go scale your truck and get both axle's weight and a total unladen weight. Subtract total unladen weight from your GVWR and you have payload.
Or get your unladen rear weight and subtract that from your rear GAWR.
CAT scales have at least two platforms to make it eaiser, about ten bucks.
Good Luck
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind a sliding 5th wheel hitch is expensive!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Locate this sticker. Note what yours has where mine says 2051:

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R