cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 F350 DRW going to the beach- rear wheel spacers

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 17" wheels and I am curious as to what, if any, wheel spacers I might need to run aired down to 18psi or whatever beach drivers use for tire pressure.

If you are adding wheel spacers please tell me the thickness and any brand recommendations you have.

Do the spacers have any negative effects that will cause problems in general use?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

Joe
12 REPLIES 12

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Crossfires sitting on my tool box in the garage, waiting for an install that doesn't upset the rotational balance.

I just got back from 88 days on the road- MA to OR, down the PCH and back again and before I left I put on 4 new tires and added the Crossfires. The result was a bad imbalance that shook the truck at 70 or so. It was bad. I took them off for the trip. I also took the truck back to the garage to have them check the balance and it was off. Before I could reassemble everything it was time to leave for OR so I did my trip without them.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The dual inflation systems are Crossfire or Catseye.
They have sophisticated prevention system that slows air flow, so even they might make convenience inflating, they can be pain in deflating.
Lately I saw the option on Crossfire that beside main valve on the system had additional valves on each hose fore speedy deflating.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Another member on here who frequents Assateague has a pressure gauge system on his dually that allows him to fill both tires up using the 1 stem, I tried searching but couldn't find it.

If you come down this way let me know. I see plenty of duallys out on Assateague.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Low speed rubbing won't be an issue as it sounds like you'll be airing before you hit the road. As for wheel spacers most are cast aluminum and DANGEROUS I've only seen one company making steel spacers with a wheel register for wheel alignment.
1999 F550 truck conversion

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I did not have a chance to take my dualy on the sand yet, but I was doing fine with full pressure in SRW while pulling TT till I made a turn in fresh fill.
Lowering the pressure is having spreading the load on bigger surface in mind, so the wheels will not "cut in" the sand.
Commonly dualies have much lower per tire load to start, so they are in big advantage even at full pressure.
It is personal choice, but I like a challenge and would not go that drastically down (my tires are at 80psi) .
You can always deflate the tires if you start spinning.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice already given here.

I'll just add that on other threads, posters with experience have noted that airing down the duals, even should they rub, will not hurt them at the low speeds generally seen on beach driving.

And of course, as already mentioned, air back up immediately upon going back to paved roads.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Jefe , quick question . Why did you not air down the trailer as well ?
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like Joe has a 4WD dually and a heavy camper. All the responders have it right except Vulcan. It appears that he owns a 2WD class C; not the kind of rig I would want to take on the beach, as he has noted through his paradigm. Every one of us TC-er's will find out sooner or later where the edge is in driving on sand. So many variables, including the sand itself. Joe's determination of 18 pounds is close to what I would do. With duals, maybe only down to 20 on the rear axle, 18 in front. Here is what 20 pounds looks like pulling a not-aired-down trailer with my super singles on blowsand:

Here back on terra firma fronts @ 22 pounds, rears @ 20 pounds.

Don't even ask how this happened. Just know that I quickly pumped the tires back up using my 20 pound CO2 tank.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
My question is based on vague information that tells me that to go on Sandy Neck on Cape Cod they require you air down to 18pse and have an air up station at the exit. Race Point my have similar rules, or I may be misinformed.

My 3 target locations are Scusset Beach in Plymouth, Sandy Neck and out P-Town way. Plenty of truck campers go to all the places I mentioned. Hopefully some folks who have experience in those places will enlighten my.

Assateague is another possibility.

Bedlam
For the short distance and low speed you will do at low pressure, you do not need spacers. Make sure you have a pump and proper fittings that will allow you air back up once on firm ground.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
This question worries me a bit because.......
No air pressure change or spacers will really increase the total surface area of the contact patch by very much at all.

In other words, if the sand is firm enough to support the weight on the tires that you have you shouldn't need to do anything. If it is not firm enough, you should stay OFF OF IT. Having an RV towed out of sand should it get stuck can be an expensive (and sometimes dangerous) undertaking.

For instance, if you are thinking about driving down a section of beach where there is no evidence of large vehicles having been there before......I suggest that you re-think your plans. There probably is a good reason that they haven't been there before......in addition to it possibly being illegal.