cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Arctic Fox 811 long box? Short box?

River4ever
Explorer
Explorer
Hope I can get some help with this?!? I'm trying to narrow my search for a TC for my truck, but I'm getting mixed information. Will the 2014 Arctic Fox 811 fit on my long box 8' bed or is It for a short box? Anyone with experience with this specific TC? Wet weight?

Thanks
Mike

2013 Chevy Silverado 2500hd
8' long bed
4x4 crew cab diesel
Torklift tiedowns
Firestone airbags
10000 gvwr
Truck weighs in @ 7750 full of fuel
No TC
16 REPLIES 16

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
Arctic Fox should be ashamed of themselves building an 8' camper that weighs that much.

It's not an 8' camper, it's closer to 9', or more.

See photo above, which shows how much it hangs out the bed of the truck.

A true 8' camper would be all in the truck bed, with little or no overhang

IIRC 811= 8' 11" floor length....
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
Arctic Fox should be ashamed of themselves building an 8' camper that weighs that much.

It's not an 8' camper, it's closer to 9', or more.

See photo above, which shows how much it hangs out the bed of the truck.

A true 8' camper would be all in the truck bed, with little or no overhang
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Truck empty:

Truck with camper on it after picking it up from dealer, 2 full propane tanks + about 1/2 tank of fresh water.

Yep, even on a 1 ton dually, I'm overweight!!

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
AN AF811 will put you 1000+ lbs overweight, before even putting anything in the camper.

Check for posts by Deltabravo - he has an AF811 and posted pics of weight
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:

It's not an 8' camper.
Bob

River4ever
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I do plane on pulling a 19' jet boat that can't weight but 3 to 3,500lbs

Bedlam
19.5" rims from Vision at rated at 4500 lbs each and Rickson's are even higher. Most G load range 225 and tires are rated around 4000 lbs and 245 G's are closer to 4500 lbs. H rated 245's can have close to 5000 lbs capacity per tire.

I vary 7000-8000 lbs on the rear axle based on loading and which trailer we take with us.

BTW: OEM rims range 3000-4000 lbs capacity for SRW trucks if you can find the specification for your particular model.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam, how much margin does going to 19.5" wheels usually give? I see River4ever being 1,500 lbs over his gvwr with even the Lance 850.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam
wintersun wrote:
With every camper I have looked at the center of gravity is over the rear axle and the location is different in terms of distance from the front of the box for campers designed for long and short bed trucks.

I would be cautious in looking at campers that have a dry weight of 3400 lbs. or more as when fully loaded for a trip you are going to be over the load rating for your two rear tires unless you put out the $3500 for a set of 19.5 rims and tires.
Many lighter campers are available for long and short bed trucks and all you give up is a dry bath.

The CG for short bed TC's on long beds is either over over forward of the rear axle right where it should be. The only issue is where you are trying to use a long bed TC in a short bed truck (CG would be behind the axle).

Roughly $2000 will get you a set of four 19.5" rims and tires. You can spend more, but your $3500 figure is not a given. If you were to go cheapest route, you could replace only back wheels with 19.5" and keep OEM up front. If it's 4wd, you just need to make sure you keep the same tire height as your OEM's.

People have their reasons for keeping their current SRW or buying a new SRW to carry their selected TC's instead of going to DRW. Upgrading rims and tires to a higher rating is one of the safe ways to do this.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
Will you ever be towing behind your camper?

River4ever
Explorer
Explorer
What are everyone's thoughts on the Lance 850,950s,1050s??

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
With every camper I have looked at the center of gravity is over the rear axle and the location is different in terms of distance from the front of the box for campers designed for long and short bed trucks.

I would be cautious in looking at campers that have a dry weight of 3400 lbs. or more as when fully loaded for a trip you are going to be over the load rating for your two rear tires unless you put out the $3500 for a set of 19.5 rims and tires.
Many lighter campers are available for long and short bed trucks and all you give up is a dry bath.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on which version you get. They make most of them in a short bed version, but there's also a long bed version too.

Long bed version will fit on long or short bed truck, but short will ONLY fit a short bed truck.

And like Bedlam says, they are HEAVY campers.
Bob