cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Chalet TS116RB -the ULTIMATE luxury TC ever??

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I know it's VERRRRY heavy and very expensive (I'd imagine)!! But sheesh...this thing just blows me away!! :E

-An actual shower that someone my size could FIT in (6-1).
-A 650W solar system on the roof.
-SIX batteries on board.
-Radiant heat in floor.
-A kitchen peninsula.
-Reclining leather chair.
-2 large flat screens.
-TONSSS of storage space both inside and out.
-Oh yeah...a washer/dryer!

I do realize that this basic floor plan is already currently offered in certain Chalet models, but IMO the rear slide in this particular model is a HUGE improvement in "usable space" than the rear slide with sofa is.

15min video of the prototype that is for sale in Texas-

Article-

Article-

So what's your opinion?
43 REPLIES 43

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
I hear you, Bedlam!

I think if I was going to spend $100k or so on an RV, I would have a hard time convincing myself to get a 4,000+lb TC and a 4500/5500 class truck instead of a 24ft Class A motorhome with a turbo diesel 6cyl (Sprinter chassis) that would average around 15mpg and have quite a bit more room inside! I would imagine they are fairly easy to drive as well.

I guess the biggest difference between the 2 comparisons is the 4WD option with the TC setup. Also- whether or not you can utilize the truck sans TC for other things such as work, farming, towing a car/boat/dump trailer, etc.

I think for most of us it is the fact we can have a 4*4 truck and tow. Many many C-Class rigs have very low tow ratings until you get a Super C-class or A class.

I've enjoyed our setup. Next setup will likely be a side door model and with the weight issue plus towing our next truck could easily be a Ram 4500/5500 4*4. But we'll likely keeping what we have another 5 years.....
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Bedlam
I would guess most TC's are used by a couple rather than a large family due to their compact size. Most people with larger cabs use them for additional storage instead of people. Class C's allow much more comfortable seating while traveling than a truck cab if you have more people in your party.

Right now I can remove my TC and the truck is 19' long and just under 7' high. It just barely fits many parking garages and I know would not be able to use a larger truck for such use. At some point the trucks become too large for city use or as an occasional commuter if you live in congested areas. It would be different if I lived in the country or did not work full time and have to commute daily to work or make business trips to other sites...

We went from bumper pull trailers and toy haulers to the TC for more flexibility in where and how we camp. We could do the same with a smaller Class C, but few offered such a small package that could comfortably tow 7000+ lbs behind them and have 4wd for boondocking and winter camping. Now we can haul two different sized garages (trailers) with us or leave them home when we want more maneuverability.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:

I guess the biggest difference between the 2 comparisons is the 4WD option with the TC setup. Also- whether or not you can utilize the truck sans TC for other things such as work, farming, towing a car/boat/dump trailer, etc.

BINGO!!...plus more seating in a much more comfortable cab, waaay more power & towing ability, and better longevity and resale value. And in my view, this and from a mobility sense a much better alternative than a comparably priced but hard to tow around 5 wheel. No Contest...

3 tons

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you, Bedlam!

I think if I was going to spend $100k or so on an RV, I would have a hard time convincing myself to get a 4,000+lb TC and a 4500/5500 class truck instead of a 24ft Class A motorhome with a turbo diesel 6cyl (Sprinter chassis) that would average around 15mpg and have quite a bit more room inside! I would imagine they are fairly easy to drive as well.

Bedlam
At what point is the TC and truck so big it would be better to get a Class C or Super C? I wanted towing ability and 4wd - The TC was the best way for me to spend my money since I already had the truck. Purchases over $100k open up many more RV choices and I'm not sure benefits of a TC are as great once you get into the larger sizes. Right now, I have a 22'x8' footprint and can squeeze into a regular parking spot - If I chose a larger truck or camper, I would be taking up more parking spots and have a more difficult time navigating to remote locations. Once you purchase a dedicated truck to haul the TC, isn't that the same as owning an MH as far as costs?

I do understand usage and needs vary between owners, but I have hard time grasping the advantages of of these TC' that require 4500 or 5500 class trucks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
The Chalet TS116RB. Went and veiwed on-line. Real nice, but will have to get a 450/4500 start with. To much $$ for a chalet, TC for myself at retirement. If i wanted storage i would get a 5'ver for that kind of money. I'll stick to a non-slide TC for the access to mountain back-roads.
Good luck in your search.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014 Chalet TS116RB just might be the ultimate truck camper ever built with a price tag of around $60,000 but the average person certainly couldn't afford something like that unless you wanted to go deeply in debt. You would also have to have at least a Ford F-450 or Chevrolet/GMC 4500 to haul that thing and that would cost around another $65,000 or more. This kind of set up would be for the rich and famous not the poor and infamous. I personally don't have that kind of money to throw away just to be able to pretend that I'm better than everyone else. I worked too damn hard for all these years to enjoy retirement and I just love what I have to go travelling with and wouldn't want anything else.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Saw the Chalet line of truck campers,they are really nice. If I had extra money that could be spent on a chalet and a f-450 I would be happy to enjoy the extra room and comforts it would supply. After you tour one it would be hard not to like it.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Why is a TC so expensive?

They are a nightmare of multi-surfaces and various stepped surfaces of construction and overhangs required to fit in the vehicle's bed and sidewalls to have an 8' wide TC. Then there's a cantilevered cabover sleeping etc area that must support 400+ lbs of persons even when inside bouncing etc occurs and also the weight of the mattress and the stuff in the storage areas up there. At the same time, the entire coach must be easily removable from the carrying vehicle by using it's own jacks. Something TT's and 5th wheels don't have a clue of. A TT or a 5th wheel is basically a box with straight walls sitting and attached permanently on it's self wheeled trailer frame.

Not good at all, humorous or a happy sight when the TT or 5th wheel coach box structure "comes" off it's frame and not only because it doesn't have it's own jacks to hold it up! It's not designed to!

Many other factors also like getting 6 lbs of c-rap in a confining sized 3 lb bag and still keeping the whole loaded, ready to leave on a venture, light enough to ply the roads safely on just the only tires that are available! That's what's under the hauling vehicle because there simply aren't any extra tires (2 to 6 ) to carry the extra RV weight like with a TT or 5th wheel!

However, at the same time, that "expensive" TC can go so many places a TT or 5th wheel couldn't dream of even getting to.

I didn't mean any disrespect and I hope no one takes my comments out of context as a criticism to TC owners... TCs are awesome. I was just very surprised when I saw a $54,000 price tag on the Chalet.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer

Personally, I'd rather sacrifice some of that bedroom storage for more windows, though. JMO...

I agree I don't need a mirrored full wall closet cramping the sleeping area. Who needs a mirror to sleep? Who gets dressed lying down in bed. I guess my grandchildren can makes faces in the mirror, until they get too tall to stand in the cabover.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why is a TC so expensive?

They are a nightmare of multi-surfaces and various stepped surfaces of construction and overhangs required to fit in the vehicle's bed and sidewalls to have an 8' wide TC. Then there's a cantilevered cabover sleeping etc area that must support 400+ lbs of persons even when inside bouncing etc occurs and also the weight of the mattress and the stuff in the storage areas up there. At the same time, the entire coach must be easily removable from the carrying vehicle by using it's own jacks. Something TT's and 5th wheels don't have a clue of. A TT or a 5th wheel is basically a box with straight walls sitting and attached permanently on it's self wheeled trailer frame.

Not good at all, humorous or a happy sight when the TT or 5th wheel coach box structure "comes" off it's frame and not only because it doesn't have it's own jacks to hold it up! It's not designed to!

Many other factors also like getting 6 lbs of c-rap in a confining sized 3 lb bag and still keeping the whole loaded, ready to leave on a venture, light enough to ply the roads safely on just the only tires that are available! That's what's under the hauling vehicle because there simply aren't any extra tires (2 to 6 ) to carry the extra RV weight like with a TT or 5th wheel!

However, at the same time, that "expensive" TC can go so many places a TT or 5th wheel couldn't dream of even getting to.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are TCs so wildly expensive compared to other RVs?

I don't really know but here are some statistics. According to the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Assn) there are only about 10,000 truck campers built a year and one manufacturer accounts for almost half of them (Lance), and for every one truck camper built there are 17 travel trailers and about nine fifth wheels bulit. So in some ways it is economy of scale where fixed manufacturing costs cannot be spread across many units.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... that's an awesome TC.

But I have to ask you TC folks...

Why are TCs so wildly expensive compared to other RVs?

The cost per square foot of living space compared to other RVs is extreme.

Is it demand, labor, manufacturing methods or what?

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it really that much more than the big Lance, Host or Eagle Cap though? (Well I would assume it could be at least slightly more heavy, given the (6) batteries and washer, etc.)

My guess is that with full water and some supplies in the camper it could easily weigh around 6000 pounds. The bigger issue is that it probably is too heavy for a one ton dually; necessitating a 450/4500 or more truck. The Lance 1191/AF 1150 can be carried on a one ton dually although both are probably at or very near the truck's max payload (including people and stuff carried in the truck).

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you're thinking it's priced at $55-$65k??

I see new Lance 1191's from $35k to $45k+...

A new Host is around $50,000 and I am sure this is more expensive, perhaps in the $55-60,000 price range MSRP.