cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Dutchmen kodiak 242RESL Quality?

Reginabubba
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking at buying a 2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 242RESL. We have had issues with our last trailer ( Crossroads) and are just hoping for a good quality trailer. Does anyone know or have had problems with the Kodiak TT's?
16 REPLIES 16

Falconturns
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Kodiak 240BHSL has been a great trailer. Aside from the very common quality control issues, this trailer has held up awesome. Water pump went bad first time I used it. That's the pump manufacturer's issue, not Kodiak. Had a cracked seal around the black tank at the toilet that was allowing smell to seep into the trailer. Not sure who to blame for that, but warranty covered it. Ours has been in the mountains for three years, in the plains, the woods of the midwest, in the cold, in the heat, and it's been a great trailer. It looks brand new too. I refinished the frame triangle and LP tank cover as those were getting "old" looking. I installed Max Air fans in the front and back, put up LED lights under the awning, battery shut off switch, and a fabric sky light shade. This thing should be good for another 5 years!

Judy_D
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Kodiak. I really like the floor plan and we have had no major issues with it. Tows great.

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Kodiak 276bhl 2013, It's been great. We have had some minor issues and I have made a few mods. But overall all it has been solid.

patbac
Explorer
Explorer
We were trying to decide between Kodiak and (Outdoor RV) TimberRidge.

Our dealer (who carries both) asked "Are you planning on ever taking it off the cement?"

"Of course"

His response "Don't buy the Kodiak". Enough said . . .

Bill_B-67
Explorer
Explorer
We've have had our Kodiak 283BHSL for almost a year & have had no real major problems with the trailer it self. Just a minor issues like the water pump/water lines being noisy and the skylight in the living area allows too much heat during hot sunny days, it needs a sun shade, both are correctable issues. I think you will be just as happy with your Kodiak trailer as we are. Happy camping.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
2015 Kodiak 283BHSL

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have that specific model but I do have a Kodiak. I have a kitchen slide as well as a super slide on the dinette and sofa sleeper. My DW and I really like it and just like a car or about any other large purchase we have had some problems. The motor on the kitchen slide went out and the air conditioner went out both were out of warranty at the time. Yes, I had to pay for both but reading the horror stories that people post having to deal with manufacturers and dealers, I gladly paid for the repairs thru a reputable RV repair shop I use. Call me insane but at least I didn't have to get my blood pressure up like so many other posters. Other than those two issues, we have had nothing but good times with ours.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

MillaTRD14
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any Pros and Cons on the Kodiak 300BHSL , im about to pick one up and very nervious, looks like new

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a new 2008 Dutchman 24ft.... Don't know if it was just that trailer or what, but it was horrible... Had a lot of issues with it and the dealer, whom is now out of business.

The biggest problem was they put the kitchen on a slide that kept pulling water lines and drains apart. Never again a kitchen slide.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
kend40 wrote:
That replacement has still not arrived

My friend had a (2013 I think) Kodiak. One of the emergency exit windows got smashed in by a rock flying from the campground's lawn mower when it was brand spanking new. It took about four months for Kodiak to finally get the piece of glass to the dealer for replacement. It was the wrong piece of glass! The second time around, it took almost the same amount of time, but they did send the correct piece of glass this time. It was verified that the long periods of time and the wrong piece of glass were the fault of Kodiak and not the dealer.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

kend40
Explorer
Explorer
I have the model that you are looking at. Bought it new last february.
It tows wonderfully behind my F150 ecoboost super crew.
I am not impressed with the quality of drawer cabinet construction and have had to do some repairs myself. Also the bathroom countertop was so poorly siliconed that in 2 months we got water in the counter and it bubbled. So at 6 months the dealer said they were ordering a replacement under warranty. That replacement has still not arrived so that is another thing that I have rebuilt myself.
Really enjoy the floor plan but didn't like the cheap vents in the bathroom and bedroom so replaced them with powered maxxair vents (can't say enough good things about this modification)
Overall I like my trailer, but don't know if it is the dealer or manufacturer that has not helped me!
Kend40
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost TV
2013 Kodiak 242rbsl TT

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Speedogomer wrote:
I've never heard anyone complain specifically about a Dutchman product.

Except for this guy.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Dutchman, and can't comment specifically, but the last Kodiak I was in had the nicest color scheme. Very light colored counter tops, dark colored cabinets. It was very impressive. I've never heard anyone complain specifically about a Dutchman product, so I wouldn't worry at all.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

Reginabubba
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that answers my question. Thanks

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Both are from Thor Industries.

http://www.thorindustries.com/corp/recreational-vehicles
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe