cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Heartland North Trail 28BRS opinion

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at buying this camper that dealer has priced at $23,500. No real goodies with it...pretty basic. No TV or weight distribution hitch(which are 2 items we want)... Is that a decent price for this trailer? Does anyone has any opinions or reviews of this camper? Any thoughts or advice would be great!

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Get a quote from RV Capital. They had great pricing along with two other dealers when I bought mine. Then you can compare how much your time is to pick up near Elkhart or have delivered.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the NADA price and they have MSRP just a bit over $27,000. That means if i took off %30 then I would be around $19,000....even that seems like too good of a deal. Right now they are at $23,300 and Im going to ask for a WDH to be thrown in...but no TV. I live in central part of US with not a bunch of dealers very close...so if I go online I may find cheaper but then pay quite a bit in shipping. For some reason I still feel like price may be too high??

APT
Explorer
Explorer
We love our North Trail 28BRS. We have used it for 4 seasons. I customer ordered it with what is now Caliber package options for $18.5k, then added WDH and slide topepr for another $1k. OTD I was at $21k.

TVs are cheaper to buy afterwards. A WDH is required for your truck so make sure to negotiate that. I highly recommend the Reese Strait Line and Equal-i-zer 4pt.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs...I do have a place to store/park it, so that is will not be an issue. I think this is just the standard model... the dealer called me today and I told them $22,000 was my top price...so i guess we will see if they agree. That would be with the 15k A/C unit...but no TV or Weight Distr hitch.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions!!

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a NorthTrail last summer, the 32BUDS. Is the one you are looking at the standard model or the Caliber Edition? If it is the Caliber Edition then that package comes with a TV. The price you have been quoted is high compared to what we paid for ours including a Equalizer hitch. In fact I just looked at the dealer that we got ours from and they have two of them for less than that on their website.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
sandhills wrote:
Yes thats the correct model Go Dogs. I have a 2010 Avalanche 5.3(owners manual says it can tow 7800lbs)...I'm pretty sure it can tow it....although i wouldnt want to go much heavier. I have looked at Heartlands web site and it has the same dry weight that dealership is showing. I guess I dont know of any other way to confirm the weight. I thought it seemed to sit low as well but dealer said they can do something to axles to bring height up a couple inches. I'm thinking about telling them I will do their price but I want A/C upgraded to 15,000 btu and the weight distr hitch. Any thoughts?

I am not the expert on towing, you can do a search or post a question on that thread. I would do both with that Avalanche. You will need the hauling package, which entails more than that switch on the dash. HD cooling and suspension system. Don't forget the trailer brakes. Remember, you have to count the weight of fuel/water/passengers towards the payload. You're going to be pushing it with that TV.
Also, one other thing that I got burned on. Are you absolutely sure you have a valid place to store it. Make sure your borough allows driveway parking, (if that's your plan) and also make sure you can actually park it where you want to store it. Think about telephone poles/wires, overhead branches, narrow streets, inclined driveways. Aside from that I would negotiate for the AC, hitch,and trailer brakes.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking trailer. You, right that you're about as heavy as you should go...IMHO, even a bit shy of the 1000# wiggle room. I don't know if RVWholesalers carries these, but you might check there and also RV Direct. They don't post sales prices, but do post MSRP...figure about 30% off that should be in range. Our 2604 had an MSRP of $32,000 + and we paid $20,000 and change. We included our WDH - Equalizer - with our HTT, so the new one is a Blue Ox 1000. If you do get them to include the WDH, make sure it's one of the better brands. Sometimes they say they'll include it and they pick the cheapest available. Agree on the A/C. Good luck. Happy Camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

sandhills
Explorer
Explorer
Yes thats the correct model Go Dogs. I have a 2010 Avalanche 5.3(owners manual says it can tow 7800lbs)...I'm pretty sure it can tow it....although i wouldnt want to go much heavier. I have looked at Heartlands web site and it has the same dry weight that dealership is showing. I guess I dont know of any other way to confirm the weight. I thought it seemed to sit low as well but dealer said they can do something to axles to bring height up a couple inches. I'm thinking about telling them I will do their price but I want A/C upgraded to 15,000 btu and the weight distr hitch. Any thoughts?

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We had a North Trail for 2 years, real nice trailer. They make a few different models/styles. We had the 30QOK which seems to be the same as the one you are looking at. We paid around 24,500 new, show price. It came with 2 tv's. Never expected it to come with a hitch, our hitch was another $800 or so. The one issue we had with the trailer and the reason we got rid of it was it was low, only 2 steps to get in rather than 3. Because it was low we could not get it in and out of our driveway without laying down boards which got old after 2 years. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Is this it??

Don't know ANYTHING about it, except your quoted price seems high. Not to be insulting but are you sure your vehicle can tow it? Do not go by what the dealer tells you. Also, be careful about the weight rating, it can be deceptive.