cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 KZ, Spree Connect model 280RL: Good ,bad, or run away??

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
One of out local credit unions has a repo, Spree Connect, 280RL for sale. They just start taking sealed bids on this rig. It looks clean, but I have not inspected it closely yet. I do not want to invest a lot of time on this, if these trailers have a generally bad reputation.
So, with that said, I would welcome opinions of current or previous Spree Connect owners, or Spree owners in general.
One thing that bothers me is that it has small, 14" wheels and tires, instead of 15" wheels. They just look dinky. Are these small wheels problematic in the long run.
Thanks,
Jeff
9 REPLIES 9

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
After looking this trailer over, I decided to pass on bidding for it. We decided it was just too small to spend more than a long weekend in. It also had a small gouge/hole poked into the top right corner of the rear end cap. It looks like it was speared by a low hanging tree limb at some point. The storage space under the trailer floor was very limited in size. Barely room to store your fill and dump hoses. The starting bid was $12,900, and they already had 2 sealed bids. I think we will continue looking for something closer to what we really want.
Jeff

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I am taking my wife to look at it on Friday morning. I am making notes from the posts here and will be looking at everything CLOSELY.
I did find out that it is smaller in length than we really want. The credit union calls it a 28' trailer, but that includes the hitch assy. The enclosed living space is only 25" long. We really want 28' - 30' of enclosed living area. However, we are going to look at it since it is so close.
Jeff

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2014 Spree Connect 290IKS. No real significant issues - typical TT build, with some shortcomings that I was able to make quick-work out of repairing. A few warranty issues that I was able to get help from the factory, even when I moved beyond the reasonable distance from a KZ dealership for repair. Great trailer overall!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Early 2014 Spree Connects had a BAL frame. These are very good frames. KZ later went back to Lippert's frame made from 3 pieces of 1/8" mild steel welded together that *look* look like a regular 1-piece rolled beam. These frames flex a lot. If it's not the BAL frame, I would inspect the frame carefully, especially around the spring hangers as they have been known to develop cracks there. In 2014, Spree frames were coming out of the factory with bent spring hangers. Check to make sure they are all perfectly vertical. The 3-piece frames have enough flex in them that the aluminum framing in the superstructure can be damaged. The photo below shows a failed weld that resulted from excessive flex. The plastic bushings in suspension could have failed - ours did in just 2K miles. I would plan on doing a bearing inspection and repack and inspection of the brakes.

Otherwise, they have the "usual" travel trailer quality issues. I would say somewhat above average in quality. If it weren't for the sealed bids, I would highly recommend that you hire a good independent RV tech to inspect it for you. If you know little to nothing on it's history I would replace the tires. You probably will not know how they were treated and could be a candidate for a blowout.

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 KZ Spree and would highly recommend the brand.Going on our 6th year and no problems
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 09 Spree for 5 years and the only problem I had was the black valve remote cable broke twice. Other than that it was pretty much flawless. For the weight of the trailer, the 14's are fine.

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I am thinking about going with 15" wheels is I buy it. I need to check for clearance though.
Jeff

scouts1us
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2014 version. Overall we are very happy with the layout of the unit. It tows well behind my half ton. Only issues of note are a little side to side wiggle when parked and I had to replace one wheel brake assembly this spring(just out of warranty of course). No leaks or any thing else of note. Just give it a good checkout and make sure everything works....

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
KZ trailers have a pretty good reputation. That 2014 is before Thor invested in KZ. Is there room for 15 inch wheels, slap some on. We own a Spree Escape 2013 as 15 inch wheels and plenty of clearance.