cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 nissan pathfinder

lcommerford
Explorer
Explorer
i've been reading all the towing parameters and still can't be sure if my new nissan (not a hybrid ) with a tow capacity of 5000 lbs can tow a keystone passport 238ml with a dry weight of 3700 pounds safely …..i don't want to be close to the limit, i want a safety margin…thanks to anyone who can give me a definitive answer …..and i do travel south from canada at least twice a year ….thanksin advance !!
5 REPLIES 5

lcommerford
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all who replied…..very informative and gave me all i need to know…..will wait til i get a new vehicle that will pull this rig …...

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2507 lb. dry weight, 7 ft. wide TT, with a WDH and sway control, as well as a brake controller. I wouldn't tow much more with my 2010 Pathfinder with a 6000 lb. tow capacity - maybe up to 3000 lb., as long as the TT isn't more than 7 feet wide. With my set up, I get around 11.5-12.5 mpg. My Pathfinder is beefier than your redesigned Pathfinder - it's built on the Frontier truck chassis, whereas yours is now on a crossover chassis. I wouldn't tow 3700 lb. with my SUV, especially if the TT was 8 ft. wide, so I definitely wouldn't tow it with yours. You have to consider the frontal area, as well as the length and weight of the TT.

I can tow my TT at 60 mph with rpms around 2250-2500, if it's not too hilly. RPMs spike to around 3500 on hills, again, keeping my speed around 55-60 mph. If I punch it too hard going up a hill, the rpms will go even higher, so I usually let my speed drop to 55 on hills.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I see that the Pathfinder has a continuously variable transmission. Does anyone know how that is implemented and if it has any bearing on towing?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Is towing at 2500rpm with jumps to 5000rpm acceptable to you? Towing any high walled RV is hard work to pull the two sheets of plywood through the air at 60-65mph. Add a hill and you find out quickly how much reserve power you have. Few naturally aspirated V6 owners enjoy towing high walled TTs. If you are stuck on wanting a midsized SUV/crossover, I recommend Ford's Explorer Sport/Flex with 3.5L Ecoboost.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to look at more than just, tow capacity and dry weight numbers. Your Nissan has ratings for tow capacity, cargo carrying capacity (payload), gross vehicle weight, gross combined (truck and trailer) weight, and a weight rating on the hitch receiver itself. You should stay within all of the ratings. Your actual max tow capacity is limited to the weakest link in all of your ratings.

GVWR ----- Gross vehicle weight rating ---- Max weight on the tow vehicle's frame, tires, suspension, etc.

GCVWR ---- Gross combinded vehicle weight rating --- Max weight of truck and trailer combined.

Payload ----- GVWR minus actual vehicle weight. This is the available weight capacity for occupants, cargo, fuel, weight distribution hitch, and trailer tongue weight. Everything and everybody, in or on the vehicle.

Hitch rating ---- Max weight rating for the hitch receiver itself.

Unless you plan on towing empty, that dry weight only gives you a place to start, when calculating loaded weight. Loaded weight is what you need to compare to your tow capacity, payload, GVWR, GCVWR, and hitch rating.

Average load (pots and pans, camping chairs, BBQ, cooking utensils, bedding, groceries, water, etc) is 800 - 1000 lbs. Things add up real fast.

Dry weight, plus an average load, puts that trailer in the area of 4700 lbs (possibly higher), with tongue weight around 600 lbs. Weight distribution hitch will add another 80 - 100 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)