cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014, redo, foam in Dinnette Cushions

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
During our 2014 trip I found that my bones were quickly pushing through the foam on the dinnette seats... to the point that my rear end hurt.

I am more than 50 pounds lighter than I was just a few years ago.... it had to be worn out foam.

When we got home from our coastal trip from Lake Charles area to South Padre Island I made an upgrade my priority.

I'm pretty sure that a few of you might benifit by upgrading yours.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
58 REPLIES 58

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I will guarantee happiness....

with these people

And Luxury Foam plus the lighter white pieces

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
This is the compatable glue.... for goodness sakes use the correct one. Trust the foam manufacturer and vender.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
You can see how it's going to fit

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
WoW!

the yellow foam was my 12 year old, worn out cushion

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised that the foam was also bagged in very thin plastic to keep it clean.

It is just starying its "swell"

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
And the spray glue to affix the white, 1" thick foam to the behind the knee wedge...

The utility knif id to barely cut the "saran" wrap... well OK!.... shrink wrap!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
All of the foam for 4 cushions came in this vacuum packed bundle

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Oops... found the cost... and their phone number

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
The small portion of the cushion.... I had the vender cut 4 pieces like this.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Good news.... for the few of you that care... or at least have a need to upgrade your cushions.

I have the shipping bundle pictures and the company that I bought the foam from

Their return address.... and webpage... it was on the shipping label I cropped out my full name and address.... even though it seems tha half of you have been to my house and have my phone numbers :S

Phancy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sleepy, I to will be doing the refit to my 1161. I also was having the same comfort issue, with your tutorial issue will be taken care of.
Phancy

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice job Sleepy. I never thought about using an electric knife to cut foam. Very inspiring, thanks.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent! You took on a job, I didn't want to do...now maybe , I'll do it...got lots to do before I get to cushions.
Great images and very informative, as always! I have had the same experience with local shops too...what do they think when the web makes it so easy to find out that they are not fooling anyone!
NICE!!!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Joe417 wrote:
You didn't mention how you chose the foam densities. I'd like to do something similar. Don't have a local vendor for checking out the foam.

Our AF cushions are similar but don't have the extra thickness of the soft foam. That would add to the ergonomic design for humans.

TC designers usually aren't human.

Or maybe they think more like a bridge designer.

Joe... I bought the foam online

I phoned them and discussed the different options

I ended up getting the Luxury foam.... and it is the furthest thing from squishy

They cut to my spec's.... and mashed the foam into a very tight package... wrapped with Saran type wrap. and shipped it to me. I let it rest and expand for 24 hours when I openned the package.

It doesn't have any odors either.

When I told them about the "Knee relief foam they made a suggestion... I believe I went down one grade of firmbess.

It is very ridged when you first sit down.... then it gives just enough...

Look at this company

I searched online and looked at several companies... you should compare... get the best foam for the job.... remember a dinette takes a lot of use... even as a bed for some people

My package was shipped from Michigan if I remember correctly. It took less than a week.

The local upholstry shops wanted to do the job...and make ne covers .... they really weren't interested in doing a 3 piece assembly... they suggested that the only wayanyone would want to do it would be very expensive... and they told me it would take 6 weeks to get a special order foam for me if I was going to do it myself.