cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Colorado Extended Cab, Long Box LT RWD

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
This new Colorado is a much improved than its processor will tow 1,000 more weight than our Kodiak can max out at 6,000 and that is 7000 with a 2 wheel drive extended cab v6 with towing package to get our Kodiak full weight to the max including all water and holding tanks.

It has 1,600 payload and with a Bose sound system a rear view camera to get rid of taking two people to hitch up when doing so and with being 17-18 feet in length and a 127.8 wheelbase that is basically the same as our old 2003 Expedition and replacing a Chevy trailblazer same year it has a inline 6 and ½ the size 10 feet and w wheel base 9 feet this having a 8 inch touch screen that is the same exact size as my dell that I use for work.

The is the first new truck that I have ever bought all my past where used but what Chevy has done in this one is to make my job that I have over 2 ½ years that can make my work better because I work in the field for a large merchandising firm it is better having On star with turning my truck in to a mobile hot spot and be able to plug my dell and turn my work in on the go and when camping be able to have the internet with me would be great

This has a 3.0 v6 with over 300 hp it can do close to its big brother the Chevy Silverado and get most of its components of it but is its own underneath and it cost $2500-$3000 less than a Toyota Nissan and the same of the Tacoma it was very much higher and most of the standard items and not even available on one this size and Ford is out in the USA has anyone had the processor one would like to know how it has held up over the years
37 REPLIES 37

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
my new truck as the GMC twin is the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado is the 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the Year I knew this was a good buy we had a 2500 silveardo some time back I M glad I did my reshurch to find this

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
For a note my mom drove it 1 mile on interstate 71 to the king’s island western row exit in 2 minutes she had it up 80 and we didn't feel it till I looked at the speed and there was no road (highway) noise we had a Z 71 model crew cab a semi went past us in the lane next to us and we didn't feel it or even know it was there.

We had my I Pod on with the Bose sound system it sound great it has 7 speakers the base was so good the door where rattling the test one had the spray in liner it is ¼ thick with derange holes to let snow or water out so you don’t have a pool on board .

It has a wheel base of 128” and I length of 212” longer that of our old 2003 ford expedition but a bit sort of our 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD of a length 226”. And has 305 horse power 269 torque.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
People should probably drive it before they decide how anemic it is.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike Up wrote:
star 2008 wrote:
This Saturday November 8 we are planning to order our new 2015 Colorado in the last 15-20 days we have analyze 3 things our trade payoff having enough to have $0.00 negative equity and at least $450 deposit a week or two ago we thought we would have far less to start this process.

If you like ether version of this new midsize trucks here is a very valuable tip if you are with a credit union they may be in a GM program discount; I built on the GM Chevy site $28,900 on the GM program discount site as its built $29,900 my discount through the GE credit union GM program discount price was $27,890.

It pays t o do your homework and not back yourself in a corner and pay a high price

For about $6K more, a Ford F150 loaded like mine could be had. Sure it would be the same with GM.

Some just prefer a smaller truck. The market generally wants full size....but there is a smaller segment that wants mid size.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
star 2008 wrote:
This Saturday November 8 we are planning to order our new 2015 Colorado in the last 15-20 days we have analyze 3 things our trade payoff having enough to have $0.00 negative equity and at least $450 deposit a week or two ago we thought we would have far less to start this process.

If you like ether version of this new midsize trucks here is a very valuable tip if you are with a credit union they may be in a GM program discount; I built on the GM Chevy site $28,900 on the GM program discount site as its built $29,900 my discount through the GE credit union GM program discount price was $27,890.

It pays t o do your homework and not back yourself in a corner and pay a high price

For about $6K more, a Ford F150 loaded like mine could be had. Sure it would be the same with GM.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
That 3.6L seems anemic and shouldn't feel any different and maybe less powerful than a Nissan Frontier.

The 3.6L horsepower is a very very lofty 6800 rpms so at a more normal 5600 rpms, the horsepower is likely the same if not lower than a Frontier's 266 Hp. The Tacoma is only 3 lbs shy of the Chevy's 269 lbs of torque at 4000 rpms, and the Frontier is better at 281 lbs.

Both the Tacoma and Frontier are using 5 speed transmissions that combined with axle ratios, have inferior overall gearing. So the chevy's 6 speed transmission and 3.42 axle will likely exceed the Tacoma and Frontier actual torque output, with the Chevy's better torque multiplication.

However after owning a 2005 Pathfinder (Frontier's SUV clone) with the 4.0L and 270 Hp and 291 lbs torque with the same transmission used today on the Frontier, it was anything but powerful. I wouldn't want to tow a 4000 lbs trailer with it. Also it's suspension was so soft, it needed helper springs despite it's good rear axle rating.

After that I had a 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.6L 3V HO V8. It was heavier but had a 292 Hp at 5600 rpms and a 300 lbs torque rating at 4000 rpms, but had a lot of power.

It pulled my 5000 lbs Jay Flight easily and it was a hole shot king making older Camaro owners upset. It was rated at the same 7000 lbs and I believe I wouldn't want to tow anything near that heavy.

The chassis would not support it anyhow with a 740 lbs hitch limit which would translate only into a very very low 10.5% hitch weight rating according to the 7000 lbs tow rating.

GM has always rated the hitches roughly the same so I wouldn't expect any more than a 750 lbs hitch rating which would equate to a 5769 lbs "loaded" travel trailer with a 13% tongue weight. I would tow that weight with the old 5.3L V8 but not this torque deprived 3.6L V6. Maybe they'll offer the 4.3L, like they did previously, which would be a great engine to tow that 5700 lbs with 285 Hp at 5300 rpms and 305 lbs torque at 3900 rpms.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a 2015 2 rwd Chevy Colorado extended cab brown 17” wheels Class 4 hitch it has 3:42 gear and tows 7000 LBS spray in liner and a Bose sound system.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Overrated.
HR

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
Our Kodiak 241 RBSL has the following
Unloaded Weight 4,458
Cargo Capacity 1,542
Hitch 446
Length 27' 2"
Height 10' 2"
Width 8'
Fresh Water 52
Waste Water 28
Grey Water 39

I test drove it on Friday October 17, 2014 it was very quiet if you see ads for new luxury car on one side where the wiper are they have like a wheel on a mouse has it has 15 different screens it tell you the tire pressure and it had ¼ tank on that it could go 100 mile on that tank.

On the way back to the dealer we had the front windows open even that it was still quite as a mouse. One thing I like it has a lock on the full spire tire and the 7 pin is next to plate not under the bumper the tow hull is not on the shiftier like older trucks and the backup camera guides turn as you turn the wheel and the bumper is visible so you can tell when to stop.

The hitch is a class IV and the fit and finish it very tops seats very comfort able in the owner guide the tow rating for the true 7000 LBS is a RWD extended cab, 4X4 if a little less but very little.

Over all this should have no problem with our Kodiak if your boat / RV were over 6400 LBS “weight caring” that could be a problem we use an E2 weight distribution hitch it has the sway bars not chains so this should be a bonus and for the I built less than $29,000 with a factory spray in bed liner for $475 not bad.

Note if you are looking at a 2 wheel drive Toyota midsize with a tow package this is not going to happen the make you get a 4X4 you cannot get it in a 4X2

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
sky_free wrote:

There were 2 negatives though -- #1 is that the tailgate on the truck I drove did not lower enough to be completely flat for some reason. was super annoying but was easily corrected with shocks and an aftermarket sway bar on the Toyota.

how much off "flat" did it go? are we talking "almost flat" or at a 45 degree angle?
bumpy

Almost flat -- like a 5-degree angle up. It almost seemed like a feature designed to keep things from rolling out of the back with the tailgate down. I looked at the cables and they didn't seem long enough. This was in a semi-dark garage though and I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Star,

What do you currently tow your RV with? Have you confirmed all the vehicle capacities meet your needs? Does it support 700 pounds of trailer TW and whatever you put in cab and bed? Are you prepared for cruising at 3000rpm and occasional 5000+rpm? How many towing miles vs. non towing? Compare the data rates for On Star's hot spot vs. national cell phone providers that you may already have in a smartphone. Have you priced an extended cab V6 half ton these days? They offer huge discounts which typically end up with lower transaction costs than the mid-sized trucks.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sky_free wrote:

There were 2 negatives though -- #1 is that the tailgate on the truck I drove did not lower enough to be completely flat for some reason. was super annoying but was easily corrected with shocks and an aftermarket sway bar on the Toyota.

how much off "flat" did it go? are we talking "almost flat" or at a 45 degree angle?
bumpy

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the first one in California today (according to the GM guys). It was a GMC Canyon CC SB AUTO 3.6, all blinged out. My take on it is that the interior and infotainment system on the upper trim level is SWEET, and it looks great on the outside. The power is adequate, but nothing special or particularly exciting -- it's a little better than the V6 in the Tacoma. The transmission was good, but a bit aggressive on the upshifting for my taste. It was VERY quiet with a compliant ride.

There were 2 negatives though -- #1 is that the tailgate on the truck I drove did not lower enough to be completely flat for some reason. I asked the GM guy why and he had no idea what was up with that. Hopefully this is configurable or a defect or it would be really strange and would definitely compromise functionality. Makes no sense to me. Of course one of the GM guys also told me that the truck has a 7,000 lb PAYLOAD, so they weren't exactly up on the facts and clearly didn't know much about trucks in general.

The second was that the suspension tuning seemed a bit off. It would bounce and wallow sideways on bigger bumps, exactly like my 2002 Tacoma did. That was super annoying but was easily corrected with shocks and an aftermarket sway bar on the Toyota.

After that I drove a Silverado 2500 6.0 gasser and it seemed much better sorted in the suspension department so I know I wasn't imagining things.

This was a GM test drive event and strangely I seemed to be the only person interested in driving the Canyon, but that's probably because they had Camaro's, Corvette's, and my favorite the CTS-V on hand as well.