cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Dodge 3/4 Ton Really Not Camper Compatible?

TracksideNW
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy of mine bought a 2015 Dodge 3/4 ton crew cab short box diesel a few months back. I "helped" him when he asked if there was anything I didn't like about my 3/4 ton GMC gas and told him a diesel would be my next choice so I could tow a boat without all the RPM.

He went into a Lance dealer this week who said they wouldn't sell him anything heavier than a pop-up camper pointing out the sticker in his door jam that said max payload including passengers is 2360. I was shocked it was that low. The 6.4 gas version is nearly 1k greater at 3,280.

This is the grey area for me when it comes to the suspension, wheel and tire upgrades one makes to their rig for a camper. Does it not also upgrade the payload/Gross vehicle weight rating?

Thanks in advance for your help.
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2008 Lance 830 Camper
48 REPLIES 48

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
By chance is his GVWR only 9,900#? By staying under 10,000# it means CDLs aren't required when using it for a business. This would prevent them from raising it when you go to a diesel.

I know with the 3500, they raise the GVWR by 1,000 pounds when you get the diesel which compensates for the extra weight. So a gas is 11,400 and diesel is 12,400 giving them the same hauling capacity.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Jfresh
Explorer
Explorer
Check out my sig. If you run a 2500 or 250 with a diesel you will be over your door sticker before you even load the camper. Torklift, superhitch, passengers, tools, stuff under or behind the seats, maybe heavier aftermarket tires because you need the load rating, airbags, etc.

In addition, all the **** that goes into the camper for a trip. Food, water, clothes, guns, generator, firewood, beer, axe, tools, cooking stuff, TP, cameras, boots, etc.

Rear axel rating and tires are probably the only rating you can abide by.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 3.73 4x4 Mega Cab, TOYO MT 4080LBS, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift SuperHitch and Tie Downs.
2015 Lance 865

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Powerdude wrote:
Diesel engine in all brands takes out a bunch of payload.

6.7 Cummins engine: 1190 lbs.
6.7 Powerstroke: 970 lbs.
6.6 L Duramax LB7: 836 lbs.

If you want max payload, you have to go Diesel DRW, or if you desire a SRW, get a gas SRW.

Hemi 5.7 L : 590 lbs.

Not really all the surprising that a 2500 class truck has little payload. Surprising the dealer actually had some ethics and didn't want to put the customer and his family in jeopardy to make a buck.

Like Kayteg said below this post, were talking paper ratings on a 2500 vs real world capacity.
Keeping a truck that is approaching 8klbs empty under 10klb gvw for licensing will give it a crappy payload on paper.
However most all the additional engine weight around, 500lbs is over the front axle and only really chips away at front axle ratings.
The sum of the axles ratings are way more than the gvv on a 2500 and since virtually all 2500 and 3500 trucks have the same frame, axles, wheels, drivetrain, the only thing lacking is suspension since the newer 2500s are catering to the grocery getter crowd that complains about how rough their 3/4 ton truck rides. Adding to this fad of soft rear suspensions is the bs nhtsa mandates on tpms on light duty trucks which end up in the rears of empty trucks riding like **** when empty because there's 80psi in the rear tires to keep the idiot light off.
Newer 2500s are soft in the rear suspension to compensate for this. Example, my last 2 base model F250 work trucks. They have a 3 leaf pack in the rear and considerably less real world load capacity than any pre Tpms truck I've had.

Bottom line, a 2500 will carry the same load just as safely as a 3500 srw apples to apples if the rear suspension is stiffened up by any number of remedies.
As well, the mfgs need to idiot proof everything to the best of their abilities to limit liability, as many who load up a truck with a camper and heads down the road do not have a clue about the mechanics, engineering or practical capability of machines.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
TracksideNW wrote:
... Also fun to see how we all love what we love and that's not always the same kind of lady. I love my short box truck.
This is the most important. If it does what you want it to do, what more could you ask?
Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

TracksideNW
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the responses. Up until this came up I always assumed the diesels had higher payloads because any time I had looked at the tire rating on diesels they're a little higher than what you find on a gas HD's. I didn't appreciate how much heavier diesel engines are.

Also fun to see how we all love what we love and that's not always the same kind of lady. I love my short box truck.
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2008 Lance 830 Camper

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
also, megacab DRW RAM trucks still only have a 6.5 foot bed. I only wish they would make a long bed megacab.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Than we are mixing paper ratings, done for tax purpose with real vehicle capacity.
I wrote it few times already that my F250 short bed flatbed was carrying 4200lb of gravel just fine.
The 7.3 l engine on it was 900lb and I think that was for short block.
But it was all about making load center of gravity close behind the cabin.
Not possible with TC.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel engine in all brands takes out a bunch of payload.

6.7 Cummins engine: 1190 lbs.
6.7 Powerstroke: 970 lbs.
6.6 L Duramax LB7: 836 lbs.

If you want max payload, you have to go Diesel DRW, or if you desire a SRW, get a gas SRW.

Hemi 5.7 L : 590 lbs.

Not really all the surprising that a 2500 class truck has little payload. Surprising the dealer actually had some ethics and didn't want to put the customer and his family in jeopardy to make a buck.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a Ram Laramie 2500 yesterday and the payload was 2090 lbs.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
TracksideNW wrote:
Buddy of mine bought a 2015 Dodge 3/4 ton crew cab short box diesel a few months back. I "helped" him when he asked if there was anything I didn't like about my 3/4 ton GMC gas and told him a diesel would be my next choice so I could tow a boat without all the RPM.

He went into a Lance dealer this week who said they wouldn't sell him anything heavier than a pop-up camper pointing out the sticker in his door jam that said max payload including passengers is 2360. I was shocked it was that low. The 6.4 gas version is nearly 1k greater at 3,280.

This is the grey area for me when it comes to the suspension, wheel and tire upgrades one makes to their rig for a camper. Does it not also upgrade the payload/Gross vehicle weight rating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

That dealer cares about GVW and can read the weight rating stats. I'm glad. And welcome to the world of heavy diesel 250/2500 with not much payload. Research pays.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a long bed quad cab has been an learning experience, all about parking. Drive-thrus are not for me. Nor are small shopping centers parking lots, even if they have liquor stores. Never allow cars to box you in, if it a possibility use two stalls. Always have space to turn. Remember you are driving a truck with the turning radius of a battleship. Four stall parking in the far corner is also good for your fitness.
Adventure before dementia

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have noted the new Ram 3/4 tons have fundamentally different rear suspension set ups than the one ton. Unlike with Ford and Chevy you really can't try and make the argument that it's the same as the one ton with a different badge. It's not just a matter of whether or not there is an overload leaf or not.

Combined with the truck being a short bed it really isn't set up to haul heavy loads.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The salesman is evil for selling someone a camper that's too heavy.

Now the salesman is evil for NOT selling someone a camper because it's too heavy?

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the first - any dealer will sell you anything and will load it on your vehicle once you sign a release.
Look like HD loaded this car, what is real incident.
Than cargo capacity doesn't really apply to TC as you have very limited control of weight distribution and almost whole TC weight goes on rear axle.
That should be your starting point.
Coming to vehicle choice, sometimes it is not a choice. I am window shopping for new dually. Present super cab having 14 foot wheel base can get annoying on multiple-point turns, while all new duallies come with crew cab only and 172" wheel base. It will be fun to make U-turns with big camper on the back.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:
I can give you my reasons Wayne.I came from a crew cab, long bed F350 so I'm not scared of length. I have three boys and two dogs. I need/wanted a crew cab again. Ram makes a megacab...and it is awesome for a family vehicle. Since my truck has my kids in it more than a TC on the back, I took the shortbed to have a bigger cab. Would I prefer a long bed? You bet. Even looked and talked to the company that converts megacabs to longbeds. 8k is a lot of cash...so, shortbed it remains.Obviously, my truck is as long as a crew with a longbed...so it not a smaller truck.

I know your post was aimed at the guys with a bed choice...just wanted to point out us few megacab owners.

I thought megacabs came in one ton duallys. That certainly would allow for more weight and that is what the thread is about. You can have your cab and carry a fairly heavy short bed camper.
As I recall, the issue is weight distribution, not just weight. In the past month or so there was a thread on this subject. It had lots of specific info on it, including a link that identified which of the Rams with TC limits. I am sure a search will find the thread.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke