cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Ford Expedition - Rear Spring help?

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't towed yet.. but i'm assuming i'll have a little bit of droop in the rear once i hook up.

I can't find any helping products out there - Air Lift, helper springs, etc. Curious if any of you have seen anything?

I've emailed AirLift to get their input and to see if any of the F150 products might work. Will report back..
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS | 2015 Ford Expedition XLT HD Tow
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH
30 REPLIES 30

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
To all,

Well, as it happens many times- this forum has supplied good input and some of the posters have given me the need to review my sticker again...and guess what- there it is at the bottom of the options list:

"Self RR Load LVL Suspension........280.00"

So, the info I got from emailing dealers was wrong. Not all Expeditions have this feature (which some of you already know), and it's not an included feature within a specific towing package. Now, without further research I don't know if in fact this feature is not available on the 2015's or when it started to become available originally- maybe someone here knows. What I do know is that prior to the '14's the feature was air...it's mechanical on the 2014 and reported to be better that the air version.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
My Expedition had a live axle, like a pickup truck. Chevy Tahoes still have the old live axle setup.

The new Expeditions have independent rear suspensions with the differential bolted to the frame. This provides great ride and handling, but limits weight carrying capability for boat and rv trailers.

Rear mechanical load leveling is an option but not often found on dealer lots.
Maximum trailer towing capacity is 9,200 lbs.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 has the heavy duty tow package and NO air suspension of any kind.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
jasonlisan wrote:
DatacomGuy wrote:
Puttin wrote:
The owner's manual talks about it but it isn't mentioned on the sticker. The only thing is- it comes with the HD towing package only and for 2014 it is a mechanical system vs air in past years. Max load is 920# (WD) and 600# weight bearing). Leveling works with both applications.

Hmm, now you have me really curious. Do you have to select anything or turn anything on? How do you engage yours on your 2014?

Your window sticker should of had a line item "Continuous Control Suspension" on it.

You don't turn anything on, the computer senses load and spring height, then auto adjusts.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Unless things have changed the auto leveling feature was a basic Ford feature and not listed or broken out separately on the sticker. It's not part of any option package either. If it's no longer a feature on the '15 then it went the way of the Triton V-8...too bad.

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta find my sticker. Will report back...
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
So, I finally have some more info from an east coast dealer. They stated that this feature is standard on all Expeditions and- it works by reading the tire sensors and load on the rear shocks.

My wife's 2015 "Platinum" Expedition doesn't have the "Continuous Control Suspension"

jasonlisan
Explorer
Explorer
DatacomGuy wrote:
Puttin wrote:
The owner's manual talks about it but it isn't mentioned on the sticker. The only thing is- it comes with the HD towing package only and for 2014 it is a mechanical system vs air in past years. Max load is 920# (WD) and 600# weight bearing). Leveling works with both applications.

Hmm, now you have me really curious. Do you have to select anything or turn anything on? How do you engage yours on your 2014?

Your window sticker should of had a line item "Continuous Control Suspension" on it.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Puttin wrote:
The owner's manual talks about it but it isn't mentioned on the sticker. The only thing is- it comes with the HD towing package only and for 2014 it is a mechanical system ...

Expeditions have always been built with a rear strut type suspension. Not leaf spring and not true coils springs. Think "coil over shock". It works well with the independent rear suspension and provides a comfortable ride.

I don't know that air spring were ever included in HD Trailer Tow Package. It does include a large radiator, an auxiliary transmission cooler, 7 pin Pollak connector and wiring for electric brakes.

People who have the air spring suspension have a love hate relationship with it. When it works, it is great. However, the system has a high failure rate, specially as it ages. Many switch to coil spring.

If you really want have additional lift in the back, you could buy the air spring struts (about $800) and install them and skip the whole auto-level part by running a hose with a Schrader valve on the end to an accessible point and air each spring manually. This would eliminate many the most common failures: connections, compressor, sensor and computer.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
The owner's manual talks about it but it isn't mentioned on the sticker. The only thing is- it comes with the HD towing package only and for 2014 it is a mechanical system ...

Expeditions have always been built with a rear strut type suspension. Not leaf spring and not true coils springs. Think "coil over shock". It works well with the independent rear suspension and provides a comfortable ride.

I don't know that air spring were ever included in HD Trailer Tow Package. It does include a large radiator, an auxiliary transmission cooler, 7 pin Pollak connector and wiring for electric brakes.

People who have the air spring suspension have a love hate relationship with it. When it works, it is great. However, the system has a high failure rate, specially as it ages. Many switch to coil spring.

If you really want have additional lift in the back, you could buy the air spring shocks and install them and skip the whole auto-level part by running a hose with a Schrader valve on the end to an accessible point and air each spring manually. This would eliminate many the most common failures: connections, compressor, sensor and computer.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
So, I finally have some more info from an east coast dealer. They stated that this feature is standard on all Expeditions and- it works by reading the tire sensors and load on the rear shocks.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
DatacomGuy,

Well, I think before I really answer that I should find out if auto leveling is included as a feature of either the controller or part of the trailer sway program in the truck's computer. The fact that Ford uses a separate section to talk about the auto leveling feature says to me that that it's a totally separate feature but that it's only included in the HD towing package. Did you look at the attachment?

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
I have the paper sticker- the leveling feature is included in the HD towing pkg. The other options I have are listed as:

Trailer brake controller
Trailer sway control

So it IS in fact listed on the sticker?
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with TerryAllen. Focus on the WDH adjustment. IF you get the front axle back to unhitched weight, the rear should settle around 1-1.5" lower than unhitched which should be very close to level.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)