cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In the process of buying my first trailer, any advice?

Georgio1955
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have decided specifically the model of TT that I want and I am ready to take the plunge on my first RV, And quite frankly I would prefer to buy from my local dealer. But I felt like I needed to shop around to get a fair price to make sure I am not paying over market price. One thing I have noted is that it is very difficult to get a dealer to quote a price for a unit. They give you the MSRP and want you to make an offer. One guy I talked to wanted me to put down a refundable down payment to make an offer on a trailer. Anyway it seems to be far less transparent than buying a car, which isn't isn't always the most transparent process either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Since I am looking at a specific company and model, this is a factor as well.
18 REPLIES 18

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two TT's and only considered a new unit each time. The only way I would buy used is if it was a vintage one that I was gutting.

I want something over which I control the maintenance, cleanliness, and hygiene once it has left the factory.

I bought local and from the same dealer each time. I got a great value on the first one and again on the trade in toward my second one. But, I was an informed consumer going into the sale. At least do a Google search on the make and model that interests you, and that should give you some ballpark figures as to what they are selling for around the country.

I have been very happy with my purchases.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
We started looking at travel trailers a few years ago..looked at several about 110 miles away. We found a floor plan that we really liked...I found a used one at a dealer 6 miles from home. It was like new inside and half the price of a new one. It pays to know what you want, how much you want to pay, and then look.
Mark

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
A number of posters mentioned MSRP. I have bought several trailers, both used and new over the years, and have researched all over the web. I don't know how you find a legitimate MSRP for a new RV. I'd be curious to hear how some are finding what they feel are legitimate MSRP docs.

The manufacturer sites I have looked at don't provide it, and there is no way I would trust an MSRP doc a dealer showed me. Anyone could create a doc on the computer that looks official enough to be a manufacturer MSRP doc, but isn't.

Agreed. MSRP seemed to be quite a moving target in our search. We found that the same number kept showing up across a few different dealer websites. Not entirely sure if is is 100% accurate, but since it offered some modicum of consistency, we based our negotiations on that figure.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
A number of posters mentioned MSRP. I have bought several trailers, both used and new over the years, and have researched all over the web. I don't know how you find a legitimate MSRP for a new RV. I'd be curious to hear how some are finding what they feel are legitimate MSRP docs.

The manufacturer sites I have looked at don't provide it, and there is no way I would trust an MSRP doc a dealer showed me. Anyone could create a doc on the computer that looks official enough to be a manufacturer MSRP doc, but isn't.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Do an extensive PDI assume nothing works and test the entire RV. Buying an RV is an exciting time but curb your enthusiasm and thoroughly check the entire RV. A good PDI is the first critical step to avoiding warranty issues
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your not geting 30% off msrp ? run. and make sure all fee,s tax,to is in the price. sales people will promise the moon, all they want is a commision check.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is the same for any new TT buyer. Look at what you want then rent a TT or similar floor plan and size. It is expensive but you will find out a lot in a short time. We took one for a ten day tour of St Louis, MO and the Ozarks.

You not only learn about your future TT purchase, you learn about distance traveled per day, gas mileage, acceleration and stopping and also if you really want to pull that size barn down the road.

Finally, when it comes to buying let the salesperson know you are talking โ€œprice out the doorโ€ that includes, taxes, fees, prep charges and etc. It is the number you are going to write on the check.

Never buy on the first visit, sleep on it first. It is not a race

Finally, make sure your TV has the cargo capacity to handle family, tongue weight, and the other stuff you intend to take.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Oasisbob wrote:
Try to buy local considering warranty service.

Good point.

THe RV industry is kind of screwy compared to the automotive business.

Local dealers often times will try to deny service on a brand they sell, if the unit was purchased elsewhere.
In fact, in one dealer I've been to recently, they even had a sign posted in the service department that listed what priority they provide service to customers. Unit purchased "at their facility" was at the top of the priority list.

But I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth... I have been RV shopping recently as well, and prices are all over the board for the same model of TT at dealers all over Washington, Oregon, Idaho.
In fact at one dealer, I got two drastically different prices from two salesman, for the same unit! (The sales guy that quoted me the higher price is the same sales guy I bought my truck camper from when he worked at a different dealer.... how's that for screwiness?!?)

Various dealers spec out options differently too. One dealer stands firmly by the belief that all the Northwood units they order will have thermal pane windows. Other dealers don't order them that way.
Part of it could be due to the location and the clientele they serve.

All the dealers I've been contacting via email link on their website, have been very up front about providing a price well below MSRP.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Georgio1955
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the benefit of your experience. I have some prices now after looking at RV Trader that are probably $4G's less that what the fast talking gentleman suggested as a bottom line price. I am confirming these this week, taking into account the advice above. No cash out of my pocket until I know what the bottom line price is. I understand the comment about going used first but I talked my lovely lady into doing this, and I have the cash to get what I want. I also bought my towing vehicle first and it will easily be able to handle what I am targeting, based not on dry weight but based on GVWR. Will let you know how this all works when the dust settles...

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Georgio1955 wrote:
Well I have decided specifically the model of TT that I want and I am ready to take the plunge on my first RV, And quite frankly I would prefer to buy from my local dealer. But I felt like I needed to shop around to get a fair price to make sure I am not paying over market price. One thing I have noted is that it is very difficult to get a dealer to quote a price for a unit. They give you the MSRP and want you to make an offer. One guy I talked to wanted me to put down a refundable down payment to make an offer on a trailer. Anyway it seems to be far less transparent than buying a car, which isn't isn't always the most transparent process either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Since I am looking at a specific company and model, this is a factor as well.

Walk, no RUN from any place that wants money upfront for ANYTHING unless it is a "down payment" for ORDERING which would be understandable.

NO MONEY should ever be exchanged until YOU have personally walked through and inspected the trailer AND then sign the paperwork.

RVs are like boats.. The two happiest days of ownership is the FIRST day and the day you SELL it..

Negotiate as best as you can and be prepared to WALK OUT if you do not feel the dealer is being upfront and fair..

Only when you feel you are getting a fair deal and are OK with it do you sign and hand over money.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
And don't trust the salesman on what you can tow. You don't mention yow vehicle but a half ton can actually tow a lot less than folks think because of cargo limitations and tongue weight.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 2016 TT and were able to buy at better than 30% off MSRP when all was said and done, but it took us 2 weeks from our first point of negotiqtion to get there. An often overlooked point of leverage is the "end of the month". Salesman and dealers oftentimes will give that little extra to the customer to make the deal happen in order to meet an individual or company sales goal and that is what happened in our case. The dealer actually called us to re-open negotiations on what we thought was a dead deal and it turned out to be an additional $1200 swing in our favor on an MSRP of $34.5k and a new TT in our driveway. Ironically, this was our 2nd attempt at a purchase as the first dealer wasn't very receptive to the RVtrader lowest price starting point. After asking for a price on the unit in stock, the salesman asked me to make him an offer. I did...at the lowest price I found online and the salesman said he'd get back to me shortly with a counter-offer. He left me a voice mail later that evening to say "We're not close. I'll call you again tomorrow". I'm not sure what kind of counter-offer "we're not close" is, but I never heard from him again.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some dealers play these games and it is really uncalled for. Go ahead and give them the lowest price you found on the internet and work from there. Can be tricky as they might appear to match it or get close, but you will find the out the door price to be quite a bit higher when signing the paperwork, plus they will badger you to get the extended warranty or other upsells.

Whether it is a car, truck, or RV, we always demand the out the door price and most dealers are OK with this while others want to play games. If you are truly decided on a particular model and brand it will be more difficult to bargain as there is rarely more than one dealership selling the exact same model and brand within the same area.

As for warranty work that may be required during the first year, some dealers have a quality service department while others simply don't have the qualified service personnel or really care much about customer service after the sale. This can be an issue many don't think about, there are posts here on the forum that deal with this scenario all the time.

Good luck and here's hoping your first new rig is all you expected and more. When first entering the RVing world, we all think we know what we do or don't want in a rig. Which is why some suggested going the used route first since many trade in nearly new rigs because the floorplan doesn't truly agree with their lifestyle. Obviously this can get expensive, but everyone has the right to spend their money how they see fit.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to go into this process well informedโ€”read, read, read! You have to convince the salesman that you are informed to get a good price. Assume everything the salesman tells you is a lie, and confirm everything yourself. DO NOT trust the salesman to tell you how much your vehicle will tow. MSRP is not standardized like it is for autos, and generally will be more the further you are from the factory (85% are made in northern IN). To get a good idea as whether the MSRP being quoted is reasonable, check out the same model nationwide on rvtrader.com. Google for your model and see what pops up for other dealer offers. Ask what the dealerโ€™s doc fee, title fee, inspection fee, transportation fee, set up fees, etc. are before getting serious on price because they will spring them on you after you have agreed. If you canโ€™t get 30% off MSRP youโ€™re not trying, but you might have to travel a little to get it. I wouldnโ€™t buy a 2015 model for less than 35% off because the 2016 models started coming out of the factory last April.

If you post what you are looking at, youโ€™ll get suggestions of dealers. There are some wholesale dealers on line that you can use to see bottom prices.